DR650 tire suggestions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by fullmosey, Apr 27, 2006.

1. fullmosey

fullmosey n00b

Oddometer:
    I have burned thru my original Trailwings on my new DR650. Any recommendations for the wee tiny 17" wheel? Experiences, thoughts, psychotic rubber ramblings are welcome.

Thanks!
  2. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    You might wanna start by telling us where you ride mostly?

single track offroad only
    the occasional fire road
    tarmac only
    etc.
  3. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 3 favorite rear tires for 3 different conditions. For dirt, I like the kenda trackmaster II, for dualsport or multi-day trips with plenty of dirt and plenty of pavement, I like the kenda 270. For street, I like the stock trailwings (I find them cheap as throw-aways).

Fronts are different. I don't like the dunlop 606 front AT ALL. The mt21 is better but not great. I'd rather use a generic knobbie (cheap, non dot) than either of those two. The 270 is alright for long pavement stretches. The trailwing is good for the street.

What are you doing with the bike BTW?
  4. sleepywombat

sleepywombat the DR650 pig

Oddometer:
    im after a similar answer i want a front tyre for a dr650 that wont wash out on gravel i dont mind the stock rear tyre , when the back slides out the fun begins, so any suggestions for a good poriced front tyre would be helpful
  5. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
  6. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    Get the metzeler Karoos. Street legal knobbies> excellent wear and R rated for 106 mph. Don't waste your money on those crappy kenda 270s. They wear out quick and have absolutely no traction offroad after they wear about 200 miles. After replacing the k270 tires every 500-600 miles, I switched to the Karoos. More $$, but the first set has lasted for over 2400 miles, still going strong and thats true dual sport> 50/50 riding. The karoos were developed for these kind of bikes and this kind of riding.
  7. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is nonsense. My 270s have outlasted all other tires I've run...except the stock trailwings. I get about 3k out of a rear.
  8. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i've tried alot of tires over the years. the 270's are ok, pretty good mileage but they really skidded around on the hard dry stuff i ride here in AZ. pretty sketchy on fast dirt. i'd call it a good tire for slabbing and easy to moderate dirt. i have almost 2500 miles on my mich bajas now, still about a 1/4 tread left on the rear, it'll prolly just about make 3k miles. with the awsome traction they have offered me on dirt i call it a good buy. noisy on slab, but thats ok. front tire design wanders on slab but hooks up like a bitch offroad. proved to be a good tradeoff tire favoring dirt with better than average mileage for its aggressive knobs.
    i think for a tire to be as good as can be in both environments you should stick to a tire with large un-directional tread blocks. the teek, MT21 and 606 are a few that come to mind. these tread styles will offer good offroad traction while providing a stable and predictable slab manner as well, not the best in either world, but a fair compromise to both i think. if you look at past posts on these and other similar tires you'll see a pattern develop, good on the street, good on the dirt, but not great at either.
  9. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    Yeah and you're probably riding on the road 90% of the time. K270 are awful offroad tires. If you're riding dual sport for real - not that pavement stuff all the time, you'll find the Kenda are basically road tires - period.
    BTW, the trailwings are nonsense!!!!
  10. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    When the stock rear wore out on my KLR the shop put on a Gripster. Great road tire, just awful off-road. After 500 miles I switched to TKC80 front and rear. Perfect. I doubt I'll run anything else. Great on road, great off road. Couldn't be happier for a 50/50 mix tire.
  11. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. slideways

slideways Norway

Oddometer:
    The two best front tires I found for use on my DR650 were the Dunlop D756 and the D739F. These are not street legal tires but they worked well on or off road. They were used tires that I took of my MX bikes but they still had plenty of tread left on them for DS use.

If you want your tires to work well on the DR you have to get the suspension dialed in. With the stock suspension the best tires you can put on the DR will only deliver marginal performance.
  13. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've gotten long miles on 270's as well but the best 50/50 tires I've used are Kings 966. They do better than 270's on pavement and as good on gravel. I use them on my wifes bike on sand washes, but she couldn't do that without full knobs. They last a long time on street when aired up to 30 or so.

They chunk off a little when I use them on my x-LC4 but the DR650 doesn't have the power to chunk them.
  14. Tholund

Tholund Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If more than 50 percent on-road, Dunlop D606. If more dirt (sand) MT-21's

Dan
  15. sleepywombat

sleepywombat the DR650 pig

Oddometer:
    just got a dunlop 606 front tyre fitted today for $100, going to take it for a ride tomorrow to test it on gravel/dirt.... first impressions on tarmac are good, though it did feel a little slippery ...but i put that down to it being a new tyre....will let you know how it goes tomorrow:evil
  16. fullmosey

fullmosey n00b

Oddometer:
    I began this thread but I think I recently answered my own question. I had used the Kenda 270 on a previous bike with good overall mileage but poor filth performance. The Trailwings the DR comes with are crappy offroad. I now have Metzler Karoos front and rear. I have put about 1000 miles on them, approx 800 street and 200 dirt. They're great! The knobs are firm enough to reduce wobble at highway speed. The knobs are also further apart than the TKC 80's or MT's, thus allowing for the clearing of mud from the tire on a recent adventure. Ahhh mud. Aired down a little, they should be great in Moab country next month. Thanks for everyone's advice.

BTW, anyone want to ride in Canyonlands around June 19-20th?
  17. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be aware that the Karoos wear very quickly in hard rocky terrain. I recently took a trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon which has terrain similar to Moab and the tires wore very quickly. I wouldn't expect to get a 1000 total off road. They hold up well on pavement but wore very quickly on the rocky stuff. A riding partner had a DRZ with 606 rear MT 21 front combo and his tires were barely worn and my rear is about done. Just something to think about. I've read similar report on the Karoos. Great pavement and mud tire but not so great on rocks.

DS
  18. crane

crane n00b

Oddometer:
    just thought i'd chime in and say that the kenda k270's seem like a well-balanced tire for a DR...pretty good on the road and not too bad on the trails. Since you ride a DR650, I assume that you are looking for something that is well-balanced.
  19. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    TKC-80's work great in anything but real mud because of the close blocked tread.. I've run them on quite a few bikes and like them a lot and mileage is good. Good profile to hit the curves on asphalt as well as good knob placement. The Karoos felt really squirmy leaned over because of the knob edge. Off road Karoos are a little better but don't last long for me. Also Karoos are noisy as hell if that matters at all.
  20. Collarbone

Collarbone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far I like my 606's I haven't done to much dirt just some sandy trails and they did alright.I mostly ride gravel and black top about 50/50 and I like the way they take it I can take most corners with just a little backend slide and thats usually brought on by my right hand.I figure I'll get 3000 out of the rear but there won't be much left. Front will still have some miles left.running same psi as I did the tw's and there wearing even.TW's were good road tires but didn't last any longer than the 606's and were alot squirmer on gravel.I am also very suprised how far I can lean it over with the 606's just another plus.I'm not sure how they will do in the snow but ask me next spring and I'll let you know.