DR650 Uncork

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ere109, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Tramontana gave me a call earlier today (as it's 11 p.m. now) and asked if I knew much about carbureters. "Nope," I said, "but I'll come over and take pictures and drink your beer."
    When I arrived, he looked like this:

Attached Files:

2. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    And the DR looked about like this:

Attached Files:

3. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    He had already removed his Mikuni Carb.

Attached Files:

4. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Next, we pulled that black cap (shown in the bottom on that pic, but really the top part), removed the spring, diaphram and plastic slide. Tramontana then proceeded to drill out a second hole in the bottom of the slide. While in there, we installed a thinner needle, too.

Attached Files:

5. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Next, we used an impact driver to remove the carb bowl. Once inside, we pulled out the stock 140 main jet and replaced it with a 160.
    While we've got such a nice pic up, notice the fuel mixture screw. That comes in very handy right about...

Attached Files:

6. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Now! Suzuki capped the screw at the factory, so in order to upgrade the fuel screw, we had to drill out that brass cap. Make sure to put the bowl back together first. There were a LOT of metal fragments floating around after this step.

Attached Files:

7. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    Next we drilled out the stock airbox.

Attached Files:

8. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    And cut it sort of smooth with a sawzall.

Attached Files:

9. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    This is what it looked like after we got it cut up. Not bad.

Attached Files:

10. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    I keep saying "we", but really Tramontana did all the work. I just drank his beer. It was tasty. With the mods done, we installed a K&N air filter, an IMS tank and a Corbin seat, then the man geared up. The bike started a little rough at first, then we figured out where the vacuum hoses were ACTUALLY supposed to go.

Attached Files:

11. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    "WHOA", he said, "It's never done THAT before!" I'll let him comment further.

Attached Files:

12. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Cool!!

I'm curious to hear how the MPG suffers though.
  13. tigrebleau

tigrebleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My new-to-me '06 DR650 has had the airbox side-cover drilled and 1-inch filter plugs installed. The PO had the shop also re-jet and install a 2-brothers pipe. The thing carburetes very cleanly with no hesitation or flat spots and doesn't even pop on decelleration. My concern is that water could easily enter through the side during stream crossings. So I want to replace the side cover with a solid one and put 4 or 5 filter-plugs in the top section. I'd worry about not pre-filtering the air coming in because of the extreme dust we frequently ride in. I installed a pre-filter from Keitntech over the K&N filter the shop installed. Question: If I got some of the foam pre-filter oil on the K&N, will it screw up the airflow of the K&N?
  14. Kbetts

Kbetts Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:eek1for $60 you can get one of these..
    [​IMG]

It'll save a lot of stitches in the long run..
  15. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    Probably not, and even if it did it would only be temporary until the bike eats the extra.
  16. okbob51

okbob51 okbob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the excellent pics! I too have an 06 DR 650 that I'll be rejetting and the pics give me more confidence. A few questions: what "thinner" needle did you use? Why did you choose a 160 main jet over a 150 or 155? Did you need to use an impact tool on the float bowl? Have you tried the bike at wide open throttle?...and how'd it run?
  17. Tramontana

Tramontana .

Oddometer:
    It's kinda tough fitting WAY too much gear, the rollaway and three bikes all in a one car garage.

Ere109, thanks for the helping hands and encouragement yesterday and a wonderful write up and photos.

I'm just now back online after a bike filled weekend.

Overhauled the DR yesterday, and after a fine breakfast at the Blue Cow, got a good break-in ride on my new (to me) Tiger II.

Well the DR sure woke up after our little open heart session yesterday.

Rokklym, I'll watch the MPG, and fully expect it will suffer. Mostly from enjoyment of the volume knob on the right?! :lol3

OKbob, the needle we installed came with the Dynojet Kit, which is a Stage II kit. I purchased the kit, and a lengthened fuel mixture screw through Jesse at Kientech. He and his wife RAWK!!!

I certainly needed the impact driver to remove both the phillips screws on the carb bowl and to remove the top diaphram cover. Without an impact driver, I'm pretty certain I would have stripped at least one of the four machine screws.

When I purchased the Dynojet kit, IMS tank, Corbin saddle, Jesse's wife also recommended that I get the hex drive machine screws to replace the phillips screws on the float bowl. Now I can thumb tighten, and back out with a hex key.

Tigrebleu, you asked about a preoiled filter cover? I purchased the K&N filter and (dry) foam prefilter from Kientech. The K&N is pre-oiled mesh/fabric filter that can be cleaned and re-oiled for a lifetime. If you have an oiled prefilter, I doubt it would cause the K&N any trouble, but I'm no expert.

All in all, the addition of these components has really brought the otherwise stock bike to life. Prior to the work, it would barely clear it's own shadow, and the first time I grabbed the throttle the front end came right up. Startling, suprising...

...and FUN!:clap
  18. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Jesse's the real deal :clap

Don't find service like that much anywhere
  19. Red_Chili

Red_Chili Fresh Ground

Oddometer:
    Dang... sorry I missed the work day!
    The biggest thing wrong with that carb is the black thingie on the top...:deal

Sounds like it oughta keep up with the Thunderpig just fine now on Koko...
    :evil

(disclaimer: claims of bravado on the part of this old man are a fruitless attempt to portray a youthful web presence and recapture a misspent youth, and are not to be confused with actual performance on a motorcycle... No warranty is made as to suitability for any actual useful purpose, implied or express)
  20. FL_Cracker

FL_Cracker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The stock airbox?

Is there any significant advantage to be had by doing the FMF exhaust and the airbox mod without redoing the carburator and jets?