DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. JoelBitar

JoelBitar n00b

Oddometer:
    DR750 1988 SR41
    Dropped on the right side whilst standing on the side stand. Only damage I found was the grips, I managed to dampen the fall but couldnt stop it from falling.
  2. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information. Your initial post said "it seems to have spark". How did you check for spark?

I'd start by confirming that you have spark. Pull out one plug so the engine can spin freely, then reinsert it into the lead and ground the base against the engine when you push the start button. If no spark, have a look at the kill switch or kill switch connections into the wiring loom.

Did the handlebars get wrenched around to the right of left during the fall. If the wiring had been routed poorly, you may have disconnected the kill switch wiring. Also have a look at the bottom of the ignition switch to confirm there are no broken solder joints as mentioned in my last post.
  3. JoelBitar

JoelBitar n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, sorry about the late reply, the handlebars were at full left so they didnt get thrown about, I have checked all wires that could have been damage but cant find any damage.

I have confirmed no spark and checked both ignition coils and both are working. I have also checked the ignition and there was one cable that was broken, fixed that but no luck... I have taken apart the killswitch and cant find any damage there, also taken off the generator cover and checked if any of the cables there were broken but no luck there either.

The connections to the generator were also checked and the red/black black/red connections give off a whopping 882 ohms. If I understand correctly this is the one that tells the CDI to fire the spark plugs? But could that break from being dropped?

I have ran out of ideas to check and the mechanics I have spoken to have no clue other than it might be a faulty ground somewhere..
  4. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    OK. At least we know there is NO spark. Rules out a fueling problem.

About the only thing you can do is to trace wires both visually (to make sure a plug hasn't come apart) and with an ohm meter for continuity.

There is one sensitive spot where the generator and igniter coil wires exit the left case. On older bikes this area is sometimes coated with silicone seal to make up for an the old dry seal from the factory. Remove any old sealant and look for pinched or broken wires here.

When putting the left case back on, the magnet will strongly pull the case inward and if the wires haven't been carefully routed into that square opening, the ones left outside can get pinched and broken.

The only other suggesting is to remove the ignition switch and use the meter to make certain the correct wires are making contact when the key turns. The ignition switch on these bikes is not high quality and the vibration of the bike over time causes quite a bit of wear.s

OH......also check your side stand switch since that will cut spark of activated with the bike in gear.

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 8.53.14 AM.png
  5. JoelBitar

JoelBitar n00b

Oddometer:
    The wires coming out of the generator are all whole and looks good, inside also looks good. The sidestand switch has been removed and the cables connected.
    Im going to have to look at the CDI unit on monday and try the ignition switch with an ohm meter but other than that I have checked everything...
    Really strange problem and it makes no sense that I get a loss of spark from dropping the bike.
  6. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    It is possible that the two events are not related.
  7. the_sad_punk

the_sad_punk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Evening Ladder
    Care to share your know how re fitting gsxr1k standard exhaust on a dr 750?
    Is there a specific one to go for with a standard carb set up?
    Link pipe, is there an easy fix? Hows performance and noise? Pics would be great.
    Cheers
  8. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Well, not to discourage you, but I'm now running the Sebring silencer from Stefan Hessler and I think it's the best option for east of mounting and use (jetting) so far.

If you want the GSXR can its an X40F0X (stamped onto the side) can.

I used the mid pipe from an earlier purchase of a GPR silencer (which I did not like)

My jetting would be way off for you because I'm using a highly modded air box with a top intake and sealed side intake.

Sound with the Sebring or any of the others was louder than stock. The GSXR had the best (and lowest) tone but I think the Sebring (with the insert) is the quietest and still makes a nice sound. Stefan can advise about jetting with Sebring and standard air box.

Let us know how you get on.
  9. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would check clutch the clutch switch, decompressor switch seeing it fell to the left.

How you two old blokes going Ray and Colm.
  10. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    I'm good Rob. Glad to hear from you.

Just got my hands on an actual Africa Twin. A 88 RD03. Its sat for 10 years or so but has good compression and almost all the parts are there. Cleaning it, adjusting valves and rebuilding carbs to see if it will run. Then doing a "road going" restore.

The DR is still running very well but I keep putting off the repaint and restore on the DR800. The AT will be first if it seems to run well. If not, I'll put it in the back of the que and start on the Suzuki instead.
    robmoto likes this.
  11. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ray RD03 good bike eh and they look good too look at you tube for some terrific vids on them , I still have 3 Bigs and the 2017 Africa is the the go to bike for me now as its all about comfort when you start getting old lol, my latest project is a 1994 JR 50 Suzuki for the grand daughter it was her fathers bike when he was young it been parked up for 25 years but an easy job to do a little resto on .
    My Bigs are all still in good condition but don,t get used much now but are still good to sit and look at ,lol.
  12. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    My Big has really become my go-to bike for most of the calm (compared to when I was younger) off roading I do now.

I find I really enjoy it for day rides and as something different to the multi-cylinder bikes I have. It's fueling is just about perfect and I really enjoy the performance and the unique look of the machine. It's so different from anything new today.

I rode it down to Monterey California for the Quail Motorcycle Gathering. It's a concourse type event that has been gaining in popularity over the last 10 years or so. It's done on a swank golf course. Anyway......parking the Big on the street with hundreds of other motorcycles created a bit of a "mini show". Nobody had seen one before and some refused to believe it was actually 723 cc. One guy decided that it was really an early DR650 with some type of "Dakar Kit" and would NOT be convinced it was a production bike.....wierdly interesting. It was fun. A friend of mine won Best of Show with a crazy CB750 restoration.

http://www.ujenimotors.com/sandcast_538.html

Have a look at the site if you're doing a restore. He did a time-lapse video of the work that's fun to watch.

Post some photos of the tiny Suzuki you're working on.

Hope things are greening up in a nice early spring for you lot.
    robmoto likes this.
  13. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Ray. I want the gixer can fir the new red big
    [​IMG]
    Plan is make her mechanically very sweet and stealthy but no prom queen like her buddy. The link pipe is a problem alright but bothing stopping me doing as you and using my gpr one and getting a sebring fir the blue big.
    My concern with Hesslers sebring offering is it volume seems very small so no back pressure and an associated loss of mid range. Have you dyno work before and after? My recent escapades on a dyno 250i showed the limitations of my gpr one.

How is the seb can baffled additionally? Is it just the usual affair of a small length obstruction device or is it a longer insert which actually affect breathing?
    I like the fact its uaing steel wool and it looks cool but its narrow section concerns me. Pics of the parts would be mega plz.

Btw super score on the 650 man. They're rare over here never mind over there. Hrc goodness them.

Rob you aluld bastard yer gone soft with your big comfy @:). Good you still have a brace of bigs tho. Any pics of the fleet, likewise ray. Love to see a rebuild thread!

Wonder would Resi be able to make any link pipes for us????
    robmoto likes this.
  14. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    I don't have a reliable motorcycle dyno place anywhere nearby so no dyno work on the Big.

The GXSR pipe is an internally baffled pipe. They used to be cheap as chips around here until the DR 650 group "discovered" them. Now - a good one goes for over $150. Here's a photo of what it's supposed to look like inside. I can't confirm this is real since they are now too valuable to run through the bandsaw.

Inside GSXR can.jpg

As far as the Sebring being small(ish) inside. I read quite a lot of Stefans blogs about a his search for a aftermarket silencer for the Big. Finding something that balances cost/sound quality/overall dB rating/reasonable size/and can be used in Germany would NOT be easy.

I trusted his commitment to the project and his experience with the DRs.

Overall performance seems very similar to the GSXR silencer......but that just using my "butt-dyno" so I could be wildly off.

The Sebring uses an insert for street use. It's MUCH too loud without it.

The insert is about 1/4 to 1/3 the length of the silencer. It's about time to pull it out and clean it so I'll include some photos tomorrow or Friday

Your Red bike look like it's in really good shape. What are your plans for the standard silencer? If you're going to scrap it, I might want it. Seems like its not a ball of rust. When I god my Big, it came with the standard pipe but had the first baffle drilled out through the end and had the end enlarged. I liked the sound of that silencer (for a stock pipe) but the large baffle box under the side cover was rusted through and it needed to be binned.

Standby for photos.
  15. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    You are welcome to the stock exhaust but its junk Ray I'm afraid. There's exhuast paste covering holes here n there and when shook it rattles. Also there's this

[​IMG]
    So i fid this
    [​IMG]
    ...which incredibly is now gas tight lol. Ater some tuning and servicing shes running pretty bloody good surprisingly. Actually has more low and midrange than mine by some amount, which I put down to the can.

Overall shes rough but no worse than mine was but crucially shes 100% original, right down to every last fastener. I'll have the fairings wrapped red and stock decals applied and maybe in time a shock, intiminators and brakes.
  16. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    That pic of the can confirms what I had hoped for! Deffo going to hunt one down. If i can approximate the silencing and back pressure of the original I'll be chuffed.
    Big reds low to mid really is phenomenal and that's what I'm after and if it works out blue will get one too, pose factor and sound be damned:). Besides i ride early morns on wknds and sometimes to work so dont want the drama.

Any build thread on yer @ and or Big? Some pics of the @?
  17. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that silencer looks just about like mine did. WAY too much rust so not worth shipping costs but thanks all the same.

I'm happy with the DR750 so no build thread there. The DR800 was going to get a "replica" job to match as close to the yellow NASH Suzuki Dakar bike as I can come without crazy mods or crazy money. But - since that meant powder coating the frame and a plastic repaint I'm probably going to work on the AT first since it needs none of that but just a deep cleaning and a carb rebuild.

Carbs are in the sonic cleaner and new internals should be here on Friday....then I'll see if it runs. The engine spins well and I see oil coming up into the intake valve area. Compression is 180 in both cylinders so that seems good. New carbs, oil change and fresh fuel should encourage success....well see.

If all goes well there it'll be a fork rebuild and suspension linkage rebuild.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't buy something new.....but....the only thing that appeals right now is the Yamaha T700 but that won't be in the States until next year (if then). I like the new AT with the redesigned seat etc but do NOT like the ride-by-wire throttle set up and the increase in all the electronics (which is why the Yamaha appeals).

You said the Red bike has better mid and low than the blue one? Is that with the standard silencer?
  18. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Sebring photos:

Overall:
    IMG_2294.jpg

dB Killer removed:

IMG_2291.jpg

dB Killer:

IMG_2292.jpg

dB Killer installed (a bit of safety wire is a good idea here)

IMG_2293.jpg IMG_2294.jpg IMG_2291.jpg IMG_2292.jpg IMG_2293.jpg
    robmoto likes this.
  19. CCM/GARRY

CCM/GARRY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have been thinking of buying a new bike, then go for a ride on my 800 :-) I don"t think so. IMG_0080.jpeg
    Antti, ihaha, 1stgenfarmboy and 3 others like this.
  20. Ladder106

Oddometer: