DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. the_sad_punk

the_sad_punk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ladder and anyone else inarested in fitting a busa/gixer can...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just needs to be tigged in this orientation.
    Sounds very well!! Not loud but deep and thumpy, no bark.
    robmoto likes this.
  2. AntonioBrasil

AntonioBrasil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The exhaust is from a Suzuki Bandit 1200. The fitting is very easy to do. I already bought the bike with this exhaust but I also have the original exhaust. I am trying to buy the exhaust from the BMW F800gs and fit it into the DR.

3. AntonioBrasil

AntonioBrasil Adventurer

Oddometer:

In Brazil all vehicles have the color described in the document. So if the color changes, the document must also be. The document reissue fee must be paid and the vehicle must be inspected by the transit agency to ensure that the color has indeed changed as described in the new document. This process is bureaucratic because during the survey all other items of the vehicle (tires, headlights, turn signals, horn, bodywork condition etc.) need to be ok too.

I´ll check all cables in reassembly. Actually the clutch cable is too low.

IMG_20190628_100512493.jpg

This photo was on the day of the traffic organ inspection. It is the most boring process on this planet. Even the decibes and exhaust emission is analyzed.
  4. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    Yo Bluesmsn buddy....you still out there? :)
    Im in the process of making my own home brew caliper adapter for a nordwest lhs caliper.
    Question for ya... how was your bracket attached to the fork lugs? Were the fork mounting bolts secured with nuts on the disc side of the lugs?
    Or....did you cut threads into the lugs....or was your bracket secured like the oem caliper (behind the lug next to the disc?)
  5. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Flange tigged onto the pipe and were gas tight. I think the busa can is a raving success on a dr big. No popping on deceleration.
    Sounds lovely (all thumpy bass) and has the back pressure you'd want for torque down low. I may go up a main jet but I'm over the moon with having done this.
  6. AntonioBrasil

AntonioBrasil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good Morning.
    I´m reassembling the DR after 2 months.
    I´ll show the before and after.
    IMG_20190620_222524500.jpg I didn't like this color combination

IMG_20191019_232205668.jpg
    Not yet the final assembly. I just positioned the fairings to check the look of the paint scheme. It will still be necessary to polish the painted parts and put the stickers. I'll also need to change the color of the seat and repaint the engine.

IMG_20191019_231708471.jpg
    I bought a transparent shield. I even liked the look, but I'll have to find a solution to hide some of the panel wiring.
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  7. AntonioBrasil

AntonioBrasil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had made a layout for the stickers when the bike was black and yellow. It was very colorful. Did not like. Now I will make new layout and post here to share the idea.

Attached Files:

8. Megamoto

Megamoto Yes, I do look like this. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know...I think I've been here before.
    View attachment 1953190
    I bought a transparent shield. I even liked the look, but I'll have to find a solution to hide some of the panel wiring.[/QUOTE]

Mask off the area you want to use then spray the inside of the screen with whatever colour you have decided upon. I did this to Daisy's screen, it's lasted 15 years. Can't complain really.
    robmoto likes this.
  9. AntonioBrasil

AntonioBrasil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a good solution. Easy to do. I also thought about making a "desert express" sticker and sticking it to the bottom where it has the wiring.

Mask off the area you want to use then spray the inside of the screen with whatever colour you have decided upon. I did this to Daisy's screen, it's lasted 15 years. Can't complain really.[/QUOTE]
    Megamoto likes this.
  10. Megamoto

Megamoto Yes, I do look like this. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know...I think I've been here before.
    You may find the taller screen will twist due to the additional wind pressure and perhaps sunlight? Rather than drill holes in the front face of the screen and fit spacers I've found an ice hockey puc is the idea size. Both in thickness and area covered. I've fitted it to the instrument pod bracket, it's not too noticeable as the inside of my screen is satin black. I'll sort some pictures....
  11. AntonioBrasil

AntonioBrasil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good Morning.
    I'm at the end of the DR restoration. But I am having problems with the engine. Idling seems unregulated. Usually the rotations get unstable, very slow and shut down. When I accelerate to about 4000 rpm and release the throttle, the engine shuts down. I suspect the carburetor has a rich fuel mixture. Can anyone point me to any video or service manual of the Mikuni carburetor. I don't understand carbs at all, but I need to understand from now on.
  12. AntonioBrasil

AntonioBrasil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also thought of putting dark or mirrored insulfim. I didn't find any photos of the mirrored insulfilm shield on the DR800, so I don't know if it would look good.

Megamoto likes this.
  13. aapo

aapo aapo

Oddometer:
    I found plenty from youtube. Just type "mikuni bst 33 ss" to youtube search. Most of the videos are from bmw and aprilia, but it's mostly the same. Carburetor (CV) principles you can find when you search with "cv carburetor" from youtube.
    -aapo

14. AntonioBrasil

AntonioBrasil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I already disassembled the carburetor. I have seen several videos of Mikuni bst33, but my intention would be to find the DR800 carburettor service manual. Because I imagine that even if the carburetor is used on some bikes, the adjustment is specific to each model. If I find any material on this, I will post here.

IMG_20191030_224044538.jpg I noticed that the carburettor butterflies are not synchronized. The left carburetor throttle takes longer to open and does not fully open. I imagine it's a defect. Can anyone teach me how to adjust this?

15. AntonioBrasil

AntonioBrasil Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Leo

Leo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Searching for weightloss all over the BIG and wondered if anyone here ever changed his rear fork and rear wheel for something way less heavier from a other motorcycle brand ( with cush drive ) ?
  17. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is is a screw adjustment between the carbs.
  18. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    As this place is kinda quiet I thought I'd amuse ye all with a few quick picks of caliper fun:)
    Come on lads what are you up to get postin, ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ihaha and nevgriff64 like this.
  19. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    Next up is rebuild the master, then fit a saddle cover with a gel insert. Never done that before.
    [​IMG]
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  20. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    In the middle of a "functional restoration" of an 88 RD03 Africa Twin.

IMG_2328.JPG

This is progress to date.

Not a DR......I've just been riding that. No work necessary for now.