Dreaming of Trans Taiga

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jan 30, 2021.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sooooo...I get home yesterday from being gone for a week of work and get into a conversation with the missus and she tells me I need to think about a ride I want to do to fill my soul.

Immediately I think of Africa with RTWPaul but in Covid times I quickly pulled back to wanting to try for Tuktoyaktuk again and then the Trans Taiga crawled in there.

I have been wanting to ride the TT for many years and haven’t managed to put it together. I think 2021 might be the right time!

So I tell the missus about this road and she comes back to say she wants me to find someone to ride with, as in she doesn’t want me to die alone in a ditch somewhere. Strange for me as pretty much all of my trips are solo.

So here I am throwing it out there looking for anyone that might be interested in going for that ride this summer. Anyone?
    spacely likes this.
  2. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    I’d be interested, depending on the time. I certainly have to check with the missus first.
    ArielNut likes this.
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Ok Fred not Fred, get on that. What do you think about mid September and back ending it at CroMag?

Sarah says hi.
  4. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    I’ll run it by SWMBO when she gets home. The timing is certainly right, I do have CroMag booked already. Hopefully the Covid will not be an issue by then.
    Hi Sarah!
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed! About the only thing I need for the trip is a 5 gallon gas bag from Giant Loop. Not cheap.
  6. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    My DR has a 25 litre acerbis tank. I just finished putting a 790 kit in so I’ll have to see how far it can go on a tankful once I tune it.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Another inmate from here just PM’d me with interest.

My 640 has a 27 litre tank, I still want the gas bag.

When Throttlemeister rode it in ‘09 he had a 5 gallon turtlepac that got his R1100 out and back.
  8. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There’s safety in numbers, but if you can’t find somebody to ride with, don’t hesitate to do it solo. It’s perfectly safe if you use your head. As on any big gravel, watch out for the berms pushed up by graders, and watch out for the low spots in the road (especially the insides of curves). They tend to collect the fine stuff and get extremely slippery in the rain. Keep your speed down and *enjoy* the remoteness. It leaves an impression.

And definitely ride the route south out of Brisay. It’s 55 miles from Brisay to the Duplanter spillway at the north end of the reservoir. But it’s 70 miles from Brisay to the end of the road near the south end, and this stretch is orders of magnitude more remote than the rest of the TT. Except for a weather radar and cabin about 15 miles in, there’s *nothing* out there but spectacular countryside. And more than likely, in the 70 miles out and 70 miles back you won’t see anyone at all.
    jowul and fredgreen like this.
  9. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    I believe you have to do 500 km between gas stops for one stint of the trip.
  10. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    I just read that cromag dates will be moved. Clark is looking at 8-12 September.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I know all about graders from running the Trans Lab back in the day. Rally Mongolia too, I’m fine with the dirt. Personally I’m fine with going solo, it’s the missus who’s worried.

I just saw that about CroMag and Clark just sent me a message. For me dates for the TT are totally open, I’d still run for CroMag dates.

Edit: Clark was just asking if I was ok with the earlier dates. I think that’s perfect to be a little warmer on the TT and I’ll be able to get the Argentia ferry home if it’s running. Yay!
  12. EnglishZed

EnglishZed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a trip I am looking into as well. I usually run out alone but company here may be good. I'm based out of Timmins for the present. Bike is finally over here and being rebuilt for the coming season. The run up to Radisson is on the cards for a shakedown as a prelude to the Trans Tiaga. How long were you thinking of taking? Answer here or drop me a pm. I have no issues with what's involved, cut my teeth in many other places.
    The fuel side of it is just one aspect. I was toying with the idea of a blast up there in a car to leave a fuel cache, but sort of consider this cheating. It's a long run to the end and back from the outfitters, but they may allow me to leave fuel there for a future run up on the bike. Not sure yet, as you I am mulling things over during the down time.
  13. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    The missus is good with me going for an adventure.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Deadly! Now 2 more people talking to me about it.

PM sent Zed.
    EnglishZed likes this.
  15. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    The August/September time frame works well for me. Allows me to get some work hours in during both months.
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to try the TTR in 2022 (summer 2021 is already booked full with family stuff).

Safe travels guys. I'll be waiting for the ride report.
    CA-Cincinnatus and spacely like this.
  17. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    500 km if you go straight from km 381 on the James Bay Road to Mirage. If you ride km 381 to Radisson (240 km) and tank up there, it’s then 430 km to Mirage. Beyond Mirage there’s gas at Brisay and Lac Pau, so fuel distances out near the end aren’t an issue.
    fredgreen likes this.
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Fuel is sometimes available at the Cree outfitter west of Mirage, but often there's no one around to man the pumps and bad fuel has been reported there in the past. complicating the fuel situation is a ride out and back to Longue Pointe, worthwhile, but the question is how to fit those miles in without fuel before or after Radisson. the 500km fuel range is very real because riders coming off the Trans Taiga want to head south to Relais 381 on the Baie James rather than back up to Radisson for a fuel stop, especially if they were just there a few days earlier.

besides the Trans Taiga, a rider has the opportunity to roll the front wheel for at least a few meters in the Nunavut, the only Province that most of us have never been in, either on foot or horseback. Nunavut access is via Chisasibi, northwest across the river by ferry to Ile de Fort George, then to the western end of the island which is west of the Nunavut boundary. seems improbable, but it took years to fix the line which gave the Baie James islands to Nunavut. i was going to ride out there just to say i'd been in all the Provinces by moto, but had a time constraint and didn't...a decision i now very much regret.

hi, Senor FreddyGreen.
    Kawazacky, jowul and Motopsychoman like this.
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I totally like the idea of getting a toe into Nunavut. Been awhile since of done any real research about it, I’ll have to dig back in.
    Millwright98 likes this.
  20. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the boundary has nothing on one big ol' snake, winding all over, but does touch the tip of the island. Nunavut would have taken the whole island, but a controversial Quebec sponsored resident school was already located there. in addition, the indigenous people claiming Baie James as ancestral lands were not Cree, the predominate people in the area now.

another little known opportunity is to camp on the ancient Cree portage on the Rupert River around some un-runable rapids, i at least managed to do that. before Hydro Quebec, the Rupert was known as the Nile of the North, and the portage was in use for 5-6,000 years. at the same time i slept at the Rupert River, i was also documenting ancient portages across the Little North on the west side of Baie James.

if you look at the west end of the island in high resolution sat view, it looks like there are two track bush roads into the Nunavut, don't know if they're passable. so if not by bike, you could get into the Nunavut on foot.

if the Nunavut subject ever comes up at CroMag, you can say...

"Yeah, I've been there."

"OK, but how did you get there?"

"I rode my bike as close as i could, but then had to walk the last 100 meters."

makes a good story.
    DKCJ likes this.