1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Dreaming of Trans Taiga

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jan 30, 2021.

1. caje47

caje47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to do the Trans-Taiga solo this year if the restrictions are lifted. This thread is a great resource, thanks for sharing the planning you're doing.
    Gearhead1250GS likes this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I totally get you, I have never done a multi day group ride so I'm probably setting myself up for disaster!:lol3
  3. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    rider's meeting a must do, there's plenty to talk about.
    Gearhead1250GS likes this.
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Easy to say when riders are coming together from different locations. The people that are talking right now over on the other thread are all people I know at least a little bit so that helps. If more come in I think we'll want a meetup on the front end and maybe a night in a hotel to sit and chat.
  5. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Naw! It'll be fine. Just set some dates and routes. The gear seems to be 90% sorted already. Maybe swap cell numbers and we should be good until we all meet up.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Any more word on that new to you bike?
  7. 'Bob'

Oddometer:
    He sent me some pics which I forwarded to a local-to-him suspension shop. They didn't know that bike or the TT-WP build but said forks definitely not WP, couldn't tell about the shock. I emailed the seller for clarification on the suspension 9 days ago but no reply to date. If I got to take the R12GS I got to, right?
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    You'll be comfortable on the GS for sure.
  9. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another question for those of you riding mid-size and larger bikes on this route: Are you using a steering dampener, and if not do you wish you were? Thanks.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I have them on my 640 and 525. At speed it saves you on the 525. The 640 never needed one and last time I was playing with it I wasn’t feeling it working at all. I need to fiddle with it a little and the primary adjustment knob.
    Vark likes this.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    don't need a damper unless you treat the road like the Dakar.
    Vark likes this.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    The one place I would say some people might like to have one is when you're riding freshly graded roads and you end up having to cross the ridge of dirt. Other than that only things like potholes etc will cause your front wheel to deflect. Like I said none of that shit bothers the 640 at all.
  13. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is there another way to treat it? :D
    skibum69 likes this.
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the Dakar has a distinct advantage over the Trans Taiga, that being a free helicopter ride is only minutes away.

speaking of free, i was reminded of this once when i was in Quebec..."We, the people of Québec, declare that we are free to choose our future." in a sense, maybe that applies to visiting riders too. you are free to ride the moto, or free to ride the helicopter.
    skibum69, Gearhead1250GS and Vark like this.
  15. Gearhead1250GS

Gearhead1250GS Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.airmedic.net/home

16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i'll say it again, sand holes are the main hazard on that road, and will put an inattentive rider down in a blink.
    TRoberts and huguesfrederic like this.
  17. 'Bob'

Oddometer:
    I've only got about 5000 dirt kms on my R12GS yet so we're both still in the honeymoon stage. However I did hit two sand holes on the Dempster and was lucky to still be in the torque curve so I could power out... on the pegs, front wheel up and handle bars slapping.
    Blew a turn two up loaded at highway speed once and had to power across a bog to connect with the road again once too. I've had other deflections but nothing that required as determined an effort as the sand holes and that bog.
    I have wondered about steering stabilizers because I can't carry enough gas to stay in the power band all the time. Also I want to teach myself to ride deep sand and loose baseball sized beach rock.
    There's not much on the boxer forum here about steering stabilizers other than BMW added them after 2014. My bike is a 2012 Rallye with 'enduro mode'. Maybe an Inmate here has experience they can share about steering dampers on boxers.
    Vark likes this.
  18. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am considering the Scotts stabilizer for my F700GS. Although so far on the gravel I’ve been practicing in it has tracked pretty well, even with road oriented tires. But that is lightly loaded. I don’t imagine it will improve with a heavy camping/touring load.

I’ll be getting new tires this spring and looking at closer to 50/50 tread. Will probably see how those do before deciding on the stabilizer.
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you now know what you're looking for out in front of the bike, and also took the only action that comes to mind in order to stay upright. i have some sand hole stories myself, and at first thought that the holes had to be related to the subgrade condition. that couldn't be right, Canadians are experts when it comes to northern gravel road construction and maintenance. i've stopped to watch Canadian grader operators shave a couple cm off a road surface while moving 30km/hour, think it's easy, try it.

so what's the answer, it had to be vehicle traffic, specifically heavy truck traffic. trucks pound the top dressing until the fines are separated from the aggregate, and that's where the trouble starts. found to some degree on all the northern gravel, the TT seems to have more. the road has all those curves with banking, there's plenty of truck traffic, and the primary users drive like they own it, aspiring Cup car drivers all. the aggregate is displaced, boom, ya get sand holes.
  20. Scanning4adv

Scanning4adv Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I di