1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Dreaming of Trans Taiga

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jan 30, 2021.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should have clarified that I suspect tourism between the US and Canada to be a wash this year. Even if I can't ride the TLH or TTR, I'll still have a great time riding the NEBDR.
    skibum69 likes this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your stories guys.

Reminds me of riding the TLH when I picked up a nail somewhere past Red Bay that pincushioned my front tire. Doing 90 kmh all the air went out instantly and the next thing I know I'm doing full on tank slappers at speed looking at the ditch waiting to go in. I have no idea how I stayed upright but I did. By the time I got it fixed I was running out of time to get the ferry in Cartwhright so I had no choice but to run hard at over 100 kmh for the rest of it, I was the last vehicle on the boat.

Then a couple of days later there was the super dicey pass of a dump truck on a blind left uphill, I was some glad I was hanging right as he was in the middle of the road taking it all. I was off in the deep soft gravel on the gas trying to stay afloat with the back end fishtailing. I caught a glimpse of the driver looking at me to see if I stayed on it. His mirror was inches from my shoulder. You wouldn't want to be any closer!

I'll save my other near death story headed to the Port Aux Basques ferry for later, that was on pavement but pretty fucking scary and one person died.
  3. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The way I heard it explained is that it’s more or less a hardwired HydroQuebec phone in the hut by the pump. (As hardwired as a satellite phone can be. It’s gotta be satellite out there.)

Hopefully somebody will be able to check it out soon. I promise when I go back I’ll report on the gasoline situation. Gas at Brisay would be perfect. Just add a gas station at the JBR/TT junction and the trek out to Caniapiscau would like a ride to Starbucks.
  4. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I know it sounds a bit nutty, but the lack of fuel/services is a big part of the draw of this road to me. I was actually kind of disappointed when I found out the float plane base had fuel. I mean, it was convenient and all... But did take a bit away from the mystique of it all.
    frazman likes this.
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    From what I read the air service there is quite important for a number of businesses etc so no surprise someone else has stepped in for Saguenay. I think there's too much going on out that way to abandon the services that had been set up. I agree the mystique of nothing there is big but knowing there's a bailout option isn't bad either.

Setting up a little Zoom call for our immediate group to put faces with names over on the RTR thread so if you see this check in there.
    'Bob' likes this.
  6. joe a

joe a No Map

Oddometer:
    Wreckhouse winds ?
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I was headed to the ferry at the bottom of the Long Range mtns looking at my shadow on the road. I was in the left of two lanes going up a gentle left bend. I looked down to grab my camera and when I looked up there was a car in my lane coming straight for me passing another car. I dropped the camera grabbed the bar and had a second to see who was going to move. Car went outside me to my right in the far lane. I saw a puff of dirt in my mirror where he hit the shoulder. I got into Port Aux Basques and went into Timmies for a coffee. When I came out a pickup pulled up in front of my bike and a guy jumped out and shoved a badge in my face. He said there had been an accident and the driver of the car said I was in their lane. I told him to relax and told him what really happened. He calmed down and asked me to come give a statement. We went to the cop shop where I again told him all the details. Turns out the guy who went around me clipped the other car when he went back over and went off the road and into a pond. One of his buddies didn't come out. Turns out they were racing. If I'd done the instinctive thing and gone right I would have plowed into him head on. When I think about it the first thing that comes to mind is: Don't panic! I can still see that car grill plain as day in my head.
    GravelRider, joe a and Vark like this.
  8. joe a

joe a No Map

Oddometer:
    YIKES !!!
    Quite the story......
    and frightening as well.
  9. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ditto that. Could have been ugly. Kids drag racing on blind hills or curves - - it’s what nightmares are made of.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I think that's as close as I've ever been. I'm thankful that I had cool head in the middle of it. That poor fucker went to jail eventually and has to live the rest of his life knowing he killed his buddy.
    GravelRider and joe a like this.
  11. GravelRider

Oddometer:
  12. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There’ll be no need to ride the rails to get to Schefferville.
    GravelRider likes this.
  14. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am really wishing it could be this summer, but I don’t see the border opening.

I sure hope those of you who are able to make the trip can report back with updated details about current conditions and fuel logistics.
  15. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’re not kidding! Sadly, it’s likely none of this will happen until I’m too old to pick up my GS when it falls down.

Imagine then a connection between Schefferville and Esker. And maybe a road from Schefferville to Ungava Bay. But they’d probably need to find significant resources up there to justify that.

At least it sounds like there’ll be a new road up to Ontario’s Ring of Fire before the heat death of the universe.
  17. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Schefferville is in QC and Esker is in NL so a road connecting them would require the cooperation of two different provinces which I highly doubt would happen. In any case I think there will be some incredible new roads for adv riders to explore in about a decade.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yeah the new roads could be fun but it's going to be a very different place. hoping to get there before it all begins.
    Gearhead1250GS likes this.
  19. Gearhead1250GS

Gearhead1250GS Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This cool video of the TT found me today.

'Bob' and MGV8 like this.
  20. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hmmmmmmm now ya got me thinking!