Dreaming of Trans Taiga

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jan 30, 2021.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bob is joining us from Vernon.
    MGV8 likes this.
  2. Gearhead1250GS

Gearhead1250GS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At this point we are still intending to be up there at the end of June.We understand at this point we will not be allowed into the town of Chissabi but be allowed only to pass through.Hopefully Covid will be more under control by then.
  3. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have fun guys! There's just no way this year for me with the border closed. Maybe it'll open later in the summer, but I doubt it. Maybe I'll head back next year.

Make sure to take the south branch of the Trans Taiga. By far it was the most scenic and most fun part of the entire road.
    Gearhead1250GS likes this.
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, post pictures so I can look them over with envy. Going to be a year or two before I get that way.
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I need to do a little route planning to see about timing as I'm booked on this job until August 30. We'll see if all these vaccines getting done gets our borders open again.
  6. Gearhead1250GS

Oddometer:
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    That is a nice forecast if it doesn't all go to shit before then. We're still in lockdown in NS. No getaway with friends for May 24.
  8. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    What happened to the Atlantic bubble? Thought you folks had been largely insulated?
  9. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see that case counts in Canada have been coming down, but they're surprisingly still nearly double the rate of new cases as in the US (per capita, of course) over the last week. I think this may be the first time since the pandemic started that case counts per capita in Canada have outpaced the US, and by a substantial margin. I may be incorrect in my assumptions, but I thought Canada seemed to be pushing keeping the border closed more than the US to keep the border closed, due to our high case counts. At least, that seems to be the general sentiments here on this forum. I do wonder if this may change things? Or will the US now be nervous about letting in Canadians?
    MGV8 likes this.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    at least some Canucks are happy with the border situation, the 2021 Cup playoff format gives Canada a legit shot via the North bracket...it's only been 28 years.

i happened to be in NWT back when the Ducks beat the Senators, the locals kinda lost their sense of humor for awhile, at least with folks from the States.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Nova Scotia had a bad spike a month ago from a couple of events where people came in from Ontario and didn't self isolate and it was in the hundreds pretty quick. They've just announced the lockdown is going to stay until the middle of June. Another issue is that vaccines are pretty slow due to low availability of supply. I just got my first jab today and I'm not booked for my second until September 01.
    Vark likes this.
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    why doesn't Trudeau get on the phone to Biden and boys, the US is already planning to send excess vax to distant shores. why not Canada?
    Gearhead1250GS likes this.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I thought I head awhile ago extra vacs were coming here from the US but I haven't been watching the news in awhile. I'm just hoping the supply gets better and I get me 2nd jab long before September.
  14. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m all for helping distant countries in dire need. But the sooner we get North America fully re-opened the better we can help elsewhere. So I’d like to see much of our vaccine surplus helping Canada and Mexico speed up their process.

The second dose is key. Plan to lay low the day after you get it. You may be one of the lucky ones, but most people feel pretty crummy the next day.

I woke up feeling like I had the flu, but had to help my son move that day (into a townhouse with 3 flights of stairs!) I ended up being sick for 4+ days, which is unusual and which I attribute to not resting/recovering that first day as recommended.
  15. Gearhead1250GS

Oddometer:
    I had my first shot in early April and my 2nd is scheduled for July 27.With the rate that vaccinations have sped up I hope to get mine earlier.My wife had her’s moved up from Mid June to tomorrow.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Canada should take a look at the UK study concluding that a greater interval between vax shots rather than lesser provides better protection. receiving both shots remains the gold standard, and anyone in the States can get the vax, and some localities are sending their vax supply back, they can't find any more people who want it. plenty of anti-vax people here, they have no plans to get it, ever.

i have a friend who got the Wuhan twice, once in January, and the second time this month. he was in the ICU the second time, just got out last week.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Your buddy seems to be a slow learner. The vaccines need about 2 weeks to be working properly from the reports I've read so get them and hunker down for a little longer.
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    he had the Wuhan before the vax was in wide distribution, and once he had it, he was supposed to have acquired immunity. didn't work for him, but he followed the science.
    fredgreen likes this.
  19. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know 'why' we'd need a deep water port in Kuujjuarapik
    Yepper, looks like we got a good crew lined up. With any luck I'll get home to NL after the TT. If not... back to Vernon. There's worse places to be stuck:photog
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I don't understand all the northern development either. I can't see it being a great thing for the local communities long term.

Hopefully you do make it home, you're due for a little bit longer visit this time.