Dreaming of Trans Taiga

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the dust leave a few km between each bike, there is only one road anyway, can't get lost haha
    frazman likes this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely better with goggles, with only a visor the dust comes in around the bottom of the helmet etc. But correct in thick dust you cannot see regardless, the only thing you can do is slow down and wait for it to settle a bit. Caution is key, if you can't see you need to slow down to make sure you're not going to hit anything. Some days you'll get lucky with a crosswind and some days you won't so spacing out is key. I'm wearing a Schuberth E1 and I did a test to make sure goggles will work with it. All good.
    [​IMG]
    frazman, Gearhead1250GS and Vark like this.
  3. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. I was hoping you had already cracked the nut - - no sense in me reinventing the wheel.

Keep us posted on anything you learn about good helmets for these conditions. I am not at all opposed to acquiring a better helmet for this trip. @skibum69 ’s Shuberth looks interesting.
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I like the Schubert’s, this is my 2nd one. I really like the flip lids for touring. I’ve heard good things about the Klim helmets but have never tried one. You’d have to test with goggles.
  5. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have/had both...that being said I have the equivalent to the Klim Krios at a much cheaper price:https://www.louis.eu/artikel/nishua-enduro-carbon-enduro-helmet/215086 https://advrider.com/f/threads/nishua-enduro-helmet.1282870/

The Klim has a bigger eyeport than the Schuberth E1 (which is in essence a C3 Pro with a peak) and is much lighter.
    Goggles are no problem with the Klim.
  6. frazman

frazman Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer:
    Aside from the visibility issues when riding in that T-T dust, expect your visor to be completely sanded to an opaque finish when you’re done! Whatever they use for gravel on that road is incredibly abrasive dust. Especially when being blasted with it for hours upon hours, day after day. Maximizing distance between bikes is one way to mitigate.

But I recommend using goggles instead of visor.

My headlight also turned opaque after that ride. Tried fruitlessly to polish that out, but ended up replacing it with a vastly superior LED headlight.
    Vark likes this.
  7. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Goggles work with the Hornet X2 as well.
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two of rode this together, and I led the entire time. I never had any dust issues. The other guy, although he kept his distance, was always covered in dust by the end of the day (except when it was rainy and muddy).
    frazman likes this.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Interesting about the headlight. A visor is easier to replace, maybe makes more sense to take it off before the start? Maybe some kind of film over the lights for the ride?
    frazman likes this.
  10. frazman

Oddometer:
    Yes - if I did it again (esp with the new LED light) I’d put one of those protective covers on. Lots of aftermarket choice for my bike for that part (F8GS). Otherwise maybe there’s some sort of film protection that they use in automotive settings? Kind of like those peel off strips on MX goggles?
  11. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Interesting read! I hate dust as well, I primarily just drop back till it settles. But not only does it keep goggles/visor clear but more importantly promotes longevity of your air filter! Hope you guys make it, be safe and have fun!
  12. Gearhead1250GS

Gearhead1250GS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had 8 bikes on our ride which bluntly is way too many.Going back next spring to finish my ride with no more than 4 riders. 6C4229BD-1ACB-4F30-B60A-D8AAD8286CC4.jpeg
    frazman, skibum69 and Motopsychoman like this.
  13. Gearhead1250GS

Gearhead1250GS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    9FBBB5E5-ED64-4D27-82FE-331CA34EEE78.jpeg
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    You doing this trip this year?
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I'm working on it with a couple of other guys. for first week of September. I'm hoping my bike is good to go, waiting on the new starter clutch right now. Just put my carb back in today after a rebuild.
  16. frazman

Oddometer:
    Yep. The “dawdle factor” increases exponentially with the number of riders on a ride!

We did it with three and that was even too much for me. Although I was glad to have company going into the unknown. My return trip (solo) was much more enjoyable for me but by thet time I had conquered my unknown.
    'Bob' and Gearhead1250GS like this.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yup, I totally get that. I was a little concerned when are group was showing 7, down to 3 makes me feel better!
  18. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, apologies everyone but circling back to tires...

@Bob, I am now considering these Mitas E07/E07+ tires, in standard or Dakar versions. Why did you choose the +/Dakar for this TT trip?
  19. pixellman

pixellman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just contact with Triple Clamp Moto from Toronto
    .They have all MotoZ in stock
  20. pixellman

pixellman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys i think to do the TTR again .Unfortunately i not own any more the GSA .Now i have really bike 990 Adventure lol .But no more 700km range on tank .So any one can confirm if i can get fuel on the end of TTR .I will care 12l fuel extra on my 990 but i know it would not enough to back to Mirage ..