Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jan 30, 2021.
Damn! I already bought a 908. I still need a front so I'll give them a call. Thanks.
Hi. I was also thinking about this ride for maybe September if the border restrictions loosen up.
Are you still planning on doing it?
Yes we are still planning to go. I'd be leaving NS August 31. 3 of us now.
Canada is opening to the US August 09 I think.
Advantages and disadvantages to doing this trip in September?
How cold would it normally be?
Any change in fuel availability as season winds down?
I wouldn't go too late. As you said season is late but fuel is for the air services so probably always available. No flies to speak of so that's nice. Yeah days are a bit shorter but still plenty of light for long days. I've been in Labrador middle Sept with 90º heat but then again it could snow. All you can do is keep an eye on it leading to travel.
I do not think you should worry too much about wether or day light. I did Prudhoe Bay (Dalton Highway) in the middle of September .
Hi @Vark, I chose them for a number of reasons.
First because the Trans Taiga will be included as part of a Trans Canada ride for me so will only involve maybe 15% of my total travel.
Also because of tire and size availability and b/c they were recommended by a fellow GS rider on ridetherock.com Unlike my current K60 Scouts the Mitas has traction in the center of the tire.
I'm on my second set of K60 Scouts but don't like the middle strip. The Scouts are tough though... in 2019 the set I have on now took me from BC to Tuk and out to Valdez and back to BC.
Recently I left BC (on Thursday July 15, 2121) and rode home to Newfoundland (arrived here Friday July 23) on that same set of K60s so must be close to 10,000 miles 16,000 kms on them by now. They don't track well in the wet now and have about 2/32" left so they're about done.
For me tire choice is more about "horses for courses" as I have to ride from NL back to BC via the Trans Taiga so I'll have to make some compromises. My two riding buddies are competitive rally riders on KTMs who will be riding more aggressive 18"/21" tires on the TT than me so maybe they'll post something here about their tire choices.
Yes, I thought about "spooning on" the most aggressive 17"/19" tires I could get for the R1299GS at the beginning of the Trans Taiga but decided I'd just run what I brung and hope for the best. After all it's an adventure, right?
In all fairness to myself I am "thinking" of getting a smaller bike but not in time for this trip, so if my tire and bike choice are a bit off for this trip that can only help accelerate that process so win win
I wanted to try the MotoZ RallZ tires for the TT but all of the distributors I knew couldn't get them in time. I decided to stick with my old standby of Dunlop 908 rear with Pirelli MT21 front. I ordered the 908 from a local shop and was waiting on the MT when I caught wind of a new distributor with MtoZ in stock. Damn! Just to give it a try I ordered a RallZ front to see what it's like. I'm leaving straight from NS so a little less pavement time before we hit the dirt.
Pretty stoked right now as I just did a total carb rebuild and then put in a new starter clutch. Of course as soon as I finished that and hit the starter button all I got was a click from the relay. My buddy gave me a hand last night checking all the continuity etc and we finally got down to pulling that starter and sure enough one of the brushes was stuck open. A few minutes to clean it up and the bike fired right up. Now I just need to adjust the fuel screw and get out for a run to see what my mileage is now.
@Vark ...FYI ... I ran the E07 Dakars (yellow stripe) from Halifax to Dawson Yukon, up part of the Depmster, and back to Halifax (trip total was around 18,000km ) the rear was about 70% worn and the front was less than 50% worn.... on an '02 Vstrom 1L with my #280 ass on it and all camping gear. Ran same tires (new set) on the Trans Lab the next year on my new Tenere... they are great on pavement and gravel.... I won't comment on mud, or loose sand, no experience there...but they wear like iron, stick to wet and dry pavement and are super planted on gravel roads. Te sidewalls are super strong and you won't get much flex until you air down to around 25psi. I ran Dempster and Top Of The World at I think 25psi and pavement at high 30's. Same on the Trans Lab. Only consideration is this...you will not get these off the rim with irons on the side of the road, unless you are Hercules. Take a string/rope plug kit and green slime.
Just my $0.02. Cheers!
Weather in Radisson this week between 14ºC and 21ºC with 50% chance of rain most of the week.
Hey Gearhead did you find out about gas availability past Mirage when you were there?
As far as we knew there was no fuel past Mirage.Once we we got to Caniapiscau we did not go searching out the availability of fuel as we had sufficient with us.
Ok, good to know. Today I found this, I just put this one in new a few months ago so I'm not impressed. We'll see how long it takes for the new one to get here.
Soooo...things have changed. Bob was still committed to this but changing circumstances in Vernon with his wife and the fire forced him to fly back today to deal with what's going on there. That left John and me. With some consideration I'm not feeling 100% about my bike from last weekend's ride not to mention I'm still waiting on starter parts. Then I got to thinking about my rope access ticket recertifications due in April. There is a training facility here and looking at their schedule there's a course timed perfectly from the end of the job I'm on. I booked the course and have made the decision to postpone the trip. Bob will be happy to hear this as he really wants to do this run. This will also give me time to get my 525 back on the road which will probably turn out to be a better machine to ride. Sorry to disappoint the armchair warriors who wanted to tag along vicariously.
Come on! I was looking forward to reading some new TT ride reports!! This armchair warrior is definitely disappointed!
I also had to cancel my plans to ride the Trans Lab. I was excited that the border was open to Americans, but my WR250R needs a new stator (under recall) that won't be ready in time, and my FJR1300 certainly wouldn't be my first choice for that ride. Next year...
The other bit of bad news on our end was the one of our RTR members and an inmate here who was going to do this ride but had to back out recently died in an accident at home. He's been put here on the memorial thread and he's the second RTR member we've lost over the years.
Sorry to hear. That's always sad news.
Sorry to hear that!
Well it looks like some of us will be going back up with the same agenda as this year probably in the late June timeframe. I am going to try to keep the numbers down this time as our logistics were somewhat challenging with 8 riders and 2 support people with the truck but that was needed with our problems.
We learned a lot on our last trip and hopefully we can put that knowledge to good use for the next trip.
If the stars align next summer, I'll be up there early to mid-July. Not looking to ride with an army, maybe just a few folks. No support vehicle.