1. eNewsletter Sign Up

$$$$$$$drive home

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by GRIZ, Jul 1, 2011.

1. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    GOT TO PRINCE GEORGE YESTERDAY HEADING SOUTH (HMMM SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT WITH MAXI-PADS TRANNY) ITS NOTHING, GET GAS, HEAD FOR QUESNEL. WOW...TRANNY WON'T SHIFT TO OD...HMMM. QUESNEL HAS NO TRANNY SHOP TO DIAGNOSE PROBLEM... HEAD BACK TO PG, FIND TRANNY SHOP, FIND OUT THE PROBLEM IS OVER HEATING OF TRANNY (JOHN SAYS 140 DEGREES C IS THE HIGHEST HE'S EVER SEEN IN HIS 27 YEARS OF BUSINESS) HIS SHOP IS SWAMPED AND TOMORROW IS CANADA DAY SO PROBABLY WON'T GET TO IT TIL MONDAY.:cry JOHN ASKS ONE OF HIS YOUNG MECHANICS HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE TO INSTALL ADDITIONAL COOLER, HE SAYS 15 MINUTES OR SO, JOHN SCROUNGES UP A USED COOLER TO GET US BY, (BY NOW IT IS AFTER HOURS). COOLER INSTALLED WE TAKE OFF AGAIN, GET ALL THE WAY TO QUESNEL,('BOUT 70 MILES) STOP FOR BREAKFAST AT DENNYS, GO ACROSS WALMART PARKING LOT SO DOG CAN PEE, RELOAD DOG, HMMMMMMMMM MAXI WON'T MOVE (I'M NO MECHANIC BUT I KNOW THIS ISN'T GOOD.):huh CALL JOHN BACK AT PARKHILL TRANS WHO JUST HELPED US OUT, HE SAYS WE ARE SCREWED!!! BEST BET IS TO BE TOWED BACK TO HIM IN PG. HE ARRANGES TOW TRUCK TO HAUL US AND TRAILER BACK. DIOGNOSIS....WE COOKED TRANNY...SHIT!:eek1 OK THEN! FIND PET FRIENDLY MOTEL, GET RENTAL CAR, SETTLE IN FOR A LONG WEEKEND! (WANTED TO BE IN US FOR THE 4TH) THIS AM (CANADA DAY) WE ARE HAVING BREAKFAST AT THE MOTEL RESTAURANT, JOHN WALKS IN AND SITS DOWN ( I THINK THE ENGINE OR REAREND OR SOMETHING ELSE IS SHOT) NOT SO, HE SAYS HE GOT UP AT 5AM AND WENT TO WORK, LO AND BEHOLD HE HAS US READY TO GO!!!!:clapTO LATE FOR CHECKOUT SO WE WILL SPEND ANOTHER DAY HERE.
    OK SO THE BAD NEWS ...TOW $520, MOTEL $80 PER NIGHT, TIMES 2 IS 160, RENTAL CAR $300, TRANNY W/NEW CONVERTER AND LABOR $3400 HOLY SHIT!!! $4380 TOTAL!
    SEEING AS HOW THIS IS JUST THE CONTINUATION OF "BIGGER BIRDS" RETURN HOME, FITE, WE DECIDE YOUR FAIR SHARE OF THE REPAIRS IS $2190.....:evil MAKE CERTAIN THAT THIS AMOUNT IS CANADIAN MONEY, PUT IT IN A SEALED MAYONAISSE JAR, AND SEND IT TO THE BORDER CROSSING AT OSAYOOS, WE WILL PICK IT UP THERE.
    IT IS WHAT IT IS!:freaky
  2. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ME! Sorry for your luck Griz. That is really bad news but you are taking it like a CHAMP! Kudos to your positive attitude...seriously I would have snapped about eight times by now.

Happy Canada Day and safe riding
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Wow, that sure puts my $400 Prince George tire in perspective. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Thanks for taking it easy on ole Fite. His fair share is really closer to $3500; carrying another bike around surely led to this problem.

How much of all that was tax. Supposedly you can get the tax refunded at Canadian Customs. By my estimate with the tax being 12% you might get back over $450.
  4. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:

Ya' know, I can go high order in a heartbeat, (just ask someone who know me) but how can I possibly be too pissed when I just had an excellent road trip with a good friend, my wife of 43 years, and my dog, plus i just spent a coupla' days with some of my best friends in Dawson and we know when we buy a used vehicle, what can happen going in, so I guess...shit happens! Btw early on in this trip my pardner in crime "Fighter" kept saying ..."It is what it is"......we have now adopted that as our mantra so...."IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!":deal
    NOW IF I CAN JUST BULLSHIT THE BIG GUY INTO HIS HALF, WE CAN SAY "IT WAS WHAT IT WAS"
  5. FlyRescue

FlyRescue Support S&R, Get lost!

Oddometer:
    That's shitty. I hope you have an uneventful rest of the trip home, and me and the family look forward to seeing you again! :freaky
  6. Kul Mom

Kul Mom aka sKul Marm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, transmissions in Canada. That does bring back memories. When Scott was 14 or 15, his grandfather (on his father’s side) gave him a 1969 GMC step-side, long-bed truck. It had been the delivery vehicle for the family furniture business. Before he gave it to Scott, Granddaddy had a “shade tree mechanic” convert it to an automatic. The truck was in Texas and it took us two summers to get it here. The first summer it was shipped to Salt Lake City and Scott and I picked it up and drove it to my parent’s place in Goldendale, Washington. The next summer Scott, his cousin, and I drove it from Goldendale home. Day two we were just outside of Langley, BC, and the tranny died a spectacular death. It was late Friday and the earliest they could look at it was Monday. We found a beautiful campground on an island in the middle of the Fraser River and spent 3 wonderful days exploring historic Fort Langley and the surrounding area. It ended up being about a $2000 pause. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The other transmission story is on my R100R. We were on our way back from a tour of national parks in the West. About 15 miles outside of Teslin there was a pop and the tachometer redlined – toasted tranny. That one required a $400 (cash only) tow into Whitehorse, a two up ride home, and a trip back in a pickup to retrieve the bike. <o:p></o:p>
    But as Doug at Alaska Leather says, “If there wasn’t some adversity, we couldn’t call them adventures!” <o:p></o:p>
  7. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    You got a GS Griz just dump the maxi pad a hi tail it for the border. Oh you may want to scratch off any numbers off that van you know how the Canadians are about littering.
  8. ptero

ptero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOOF! Yikes, Griz. Oh man that hurts. Say, that'll buy a bungload of final drives.:lol3 Congrats on the attitude. (yes I've witnessed the, err, other. "PACK YER SHIT..." oops wasn't you THAT time)

Glad the trip went swimmingly at least until now. Great times, Great people. Nice, eh. I love the pix that have popped up. Is that beard down to your waist yet?

Now have a nice Canada Day, eh? :rofl And kiss the other two for me, eh? :huh

Hey, I'll light off a few for ya - got supplies in the show-me state last year. :bubba

9. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Not good at all kids.
    Sorry to hear about Maxi-Pad crapping it's tranny.
    That extra 10 gal of fuel might have made a nice bonfire.
    Keep us posted.
    Fite
  10. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I'm with Fighter. I would have been thinking about Plan B....

So, where are you today and what's your route? I'm in Jasper this morning going down the Icefield Parkway spending the night in Lake Louise, Lake Louise Inn, before heading to Missoula via Calgary. I need a rear tire. Cell 323 394-2353. If I don't see you good luck. If you remember my Tahoe's transmission was slipping on the way up. Maybe I need to buy that gas can after all.
  11. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    WE ARE IN GOLDEN, JUST LEFT LAKE LOUISE WITHIN THE HOUR! GOING SOUTH THROUGH RADIUM HOT SPRINGS TOMORROW THEN OUT. I HAVE 2 GAS CANS W/10 GAL OF GAS IF 'YA NEED IT.:lol3:wink::eek1
  12. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    You've got your humor. Best thing you could have. Damn we must have just missed each other. I'm in Calgary for a tire then down to Missoula, we might meet up yet. Good luck on the drive!
  13. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    Phone call to ins. co.....upgraded to full coverage.

Road flare from the local stop and rob....

Drag it to some back road a LONG way from the nearest fire dept....
    :deal:deal:deal

Just sayin'
  14. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    HEY FITE! HOW 'BOUT POLEBRIDGE FOR THE 4TH??? WE WERE THE LAST FLOAT IN LINE:D NOW IN MISSOULA, HOT SUMBITCH DOWN HERE! :rad
  15. Ensey

Ensey KLR Combat Touring

Oddometer:
    A little too warm for your Sun Dress..........:rofl:rofl:rofl

Missoula Weather

<TABLE id=yuievtautoid-0 class="twc-forecast-table twc-first"><TBODY><TR><TH class=twc-col-1>Right Now</TH><TH class=twc-col-234 colSpan=3>Next 36 Hours</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="twc-forecast-table twc-second"><TBODY><TR><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-animated-icon" rowSpan=2>Right Now [​IMG]</TD><!-- Column 1 --><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-forecast-when">Tonight</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-forecast-when">Tomorrow</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-forecast-when">Tomorrow Night</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-forecast-icon">[​IMG]</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-forecast-icon">[​IMG]</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-forecast-icon">[​IMG]</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class=twc-col-1>Sunny </TD><TD class="twc-col-2 ">Clear</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 ">Sunny</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 ">Clear</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-forecast-temperature">85°F</TD><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-forecast-temperature">51°</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-forecast-temperature">88°</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-forecast-temperature">52°</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-forecast-temperature-info">Feels Like: 82° Get FREE weather on your desktop

</TD><!-- Column 1 --><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-forecast-temperature-info">Low</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-forecast-temperature-info">High</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-forecast-temperature-info">Low</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-line-precip">Past 24-hr:
    Precip: 0 in
    Snow: <!-- 0.0 -->0 in

</TD><!-- Column 1 --><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-line-precip">Chance of Rain:
    0%

</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-line-precip">Chance of Rain:
    0%

</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-line-precip">Chance of Rain:
    0%

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Try this........

Duncan, Ok Weather
    <TABLE id=yuievtautoid-0 class="twc-forecast-table twc-first"><TBODY><TR><TH class=twc-col-1>Right Now</TH><TH class=twc-col-234 colSpan=3>Next 36 Hours</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="twc-forecast-table twc-second"><TBODY><TR><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-animated-icon" rowSpan=2>Right Now [​IMG]</TD><!-- Column 1 --><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-forecast-when">Tonight</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-forecast-when">Tomorrow</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-forecast-when">Tomorrow Night</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-forecast-icon">[​IMG]</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-forecast-icon">[​IMG]</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-forecast-icon">[​IMG]</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class=twc-col-1>Fair </TD><TD class="twc-col-2 ">Partly Cloudy</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 ">Mostly Sunny</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 ">Partly Cloudy</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-forecast-temperature">104°F</TD><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-forecast-temperature">77°</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-forecast-temperature">108°</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-forecast-temperature">77°</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-forecast-temperature-info">Feels Like: 104° Get FREE weather on your desktop

</TD><!-- Column 1 --><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-forecast-temperature-info">Low</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-forecast-temperature-info">High</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-forecast-temperature-info">Low</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-line-precip">Past 24-hr:
    Precip: 0 in
    Snow: <!-- 0.0 -->0 in

</TD><!-- Column 1 --><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-line-precip">Chance of Rain:
    10%

</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-line-precip">Chance of Rain:
    10%

</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-line-precip">Chance of Rain:
    10%

</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-line-wind">Wind:
    From S at 17mph

</TD><!-- Column 1 --><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-line-wind">Wind:
    SSE at 9 mph

</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-line-wind">Wind:
    SSE at 10 mph

</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-line-wind">Wind:
    SSE at 11 mph

</TD><!-- Column 4 --></TR><TR class=twc-severe-lastrow><TD class="twc-col-1 twc-line-nar">Through 1am: Partly cloudy with temperatures falling into the upper 80s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. </TD><!-- Column 1 --><TD class="twc-col-2 twc-line-nar ">A stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening. Some clouds. Low 77F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.</TD><!-- Column 2 --><TD class="twc-col-3 twc-line-nar ">Except for a few afternoon clouds, mainly sunny. Near record high temperatures. High 108F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.</TD><!-- Column 3 --><TD class="twc-col-4 twc-line-nar ">A stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening. Partly cloudy skies. Low 77F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  16. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Hey, Griz. I'm at a Chevy dealer in red hot Redding waiting to see how fast they can get a new transmission here. Without the towing you still win on cost. Too, bad I had a good story to tell up to this point.
  17. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    WE BE SAFELY BACK TO HQ WITHOUT FURTHER PROBLEMS...GOT TO UNLOAD AND RELOAD FOR MORE ADVENTURES!!! 6508 MILES, ONE TRANNY, AND A BUTT LOAD OF GAS! THANX ALL FOR THE GREAT TIMES!!!:clap
  18. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it back. I guess next year we won't be having the trailer rig dash at D2D?

Before the Oregon mountains burned up a couple of gears I was feeling pretty lucky I'd towed the bike as far as I did. I managed to ride 4700 uneventful miles on the F8 until I crossed the border at Sumas. 300 yards back in the USA my GS died from electrical (Canbus) failure. The same thing happen in 2009 ride to D2D. So standing there next to a Chevron station 1200 miles from home I weighed my options and caught a ride 9 miles to Everson, WA, and drove the Tahoe back loaded the bike with the help of some very nice locals and off I went thinking I was pretty damn lucky. Which I was until this unexpected stay in Redding. PITA I stopped at a Chevy dealer in Medford to change the tranny fluid and check it out. They said they had removed the pan to look but that wasn't true. If they had they would have seen blackend parts and metal bits on the magnet.... WTH, I'm catching up with my reading and lounging and with luck I'll be on my way by Saturdy. Not all bad.
  19. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS, HARRY!!!:evil:eek1:lol3
  20. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I got the truck back with new transmission. I've got an invite to Sturgis. Maybe I'll see you next month!