Drive Mode Dashboard for Android

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Rudeboy78, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Rudeboy78

Rudeboy78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone using this dashboard, its the same as the AJP PR7 tablet uses but the paid version has some extra features,

https://www.drivemodedashboard.com/

Looking to try a tablet for navigation and this caught my attention, would be keen to hear any feedback from inmates that use or have used it,

Thanks
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing this app out! I've been running Car Launcher for so long, this app is almost perfect.

I won't get much riding in for the next couple weeks but I like what I see so far. Hope to try it out soon.
  3. Rudeboy78

Rudeboy78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep me posted on how you get on with it, I've downloaded it onto my phone but having a few issues with it where it wont open the downloaded offline map and then crashes, I'm speaking with the developers and they are trying to figure out why its happening, seems to be an issue with my particular phone (Xiaomi) rather than the app itself, going to try it on my samsung tablet and see if the issues persist, hoping I can get the issues worked out as it does seem like a good set up, also with the additional carpe controller to give handlebar controls it could be the perfect set up for my purposes.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had it crash on a Samsung Galaxy tab S2, Kyocera Duraforce Pro, but not my OnePlus 6.

It was the maps that caused it.
  5. Rudeboy78

Rudeboy78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah everything seems to work fine except when I try to open the maps, will keep at it and update if I get it working, either on my phone or tablet.
  6. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. I downloaded to my old Nexus 7, and everything seemed to work...in my living room. I will try it this spring on the bike.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their updates have improved things a lot. I'm looking forward to testing it out on the bike soon. We should start getting some decent riding temps soon!
  8. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slick. I like the handlebar addon as well. I am surprised more motorcycle manufacturers haven't sourced this work out to Trailtech or a product like this.

A system that has a plugin architecture allowing vendors to add custom menus and voice commands could be a huge game changer. Heated equipment, motorcycle setup, etc could all be centralized.
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been sharing emails back and forth with the developers. They seem to be really responsive and receptive to ideas. They were pushing out a bug fix last night so that MPH didn't show up with like 12 decimal places (I found this bug yesterday using the "master mode" app on my phone). I have asked them to consider adding media player capability and they have agreed. Let's see where that goes. Love it so far.
  10. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anything that this can do and OSMand and Locus (and many other apps can't)? Honest question - don't have the time to try every new app.
  11. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is more of a dashboard for your device. It doesn't do navigation, YET. It has a very simple high contrast map that can record your track, and let you follow a track. It doesn't do any turn by turn, and there are no route planning options.

However, I think a couple of the biggest things this app has going for it are:
    One cohesive application for logging, simple mapping (which is getting improvements soon), speedo, rally book, and hopefully soon, media player controls. The app is more of a launcher, dedicated to being a dashboard.
    This is one of my favorite things: if you use the Master Mode app on your normal phone, it will use BOTH your phone and your dashboard device to get a better GPS signal. You can also use your phone as a speedometer, and trip log while you are running a track, rally, or map.
    A really cool feature I have not tried yet, is the trip logging. You can use your phone to take pictures and add them to your trip log, or input notes, etc. It is a REALLY cool thing that nobody else has done yet with an application like this.

Honestly, think of this as a launcher replacement, and not so much a Locus/OsmAnd replacement (yet). The developers are trying hard to make improvements and welcome bug reports via email any time you come across something. I like what they are doing and support them in their efforts in creating something for us, the riders.
    redkerk84, PTJCAL and petertakov like this.
  12. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @flamingm0e Thank you. I may give it a try. I use OSMand for following tracks 90% of the time anyway.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try the free version, and set OsmAnd as a shortcut on the app launch section. If you open a GPX in drive mode dashboard map, and hit "navigate", it should prompt you to use OsmAnd or Locus/etc as your navigation app. I haven't tried this feature yet. I need to give that a shot.
  14. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Very interesting. I've been using "Car Home Ultra". I may switch over once there are integrated music controls. The music and maps in one app would be nice.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using Car Launcher Pro for a long time now, and if Drive Mode Dashboard would add media controls, I could switch over 100%.
  16. John@ThorkRacing

John@ThorkRacing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone
    I´m the developer of the Drive Mode Dashboard app.

I been doing this app mostly for myself, i´m a big fan of stuff like the TET (which i also made the official app).
    This app reflects what i think should be the dashboard of a motorcycle.

Unfortunately it´s really hard to do something like this alone and with so much little feedback.
    Even for bugs sometimes i only found out about them months after a release because no one gives any feedback.

If this post get´s some active interested members that want to help me please write it here!

- Bugs - Your Device Brand and Mode and Android version and steps to reproduce
    - Features - Please read the following planned features so that you do not suggest something that is already in my todo list

============= Planned Features =============
    - Turn by Turn Navigation
    - Search POIs
    - Multimedia Widget
    - Fall detection and action setup (message someone with your location)
    - Online Account:
    - Backup of all your user files and allows you to manage / share them in our website
    - Files are always in sync even if you use multiple devices
    - Share your current location and give your friends a link to view you in a map in realtime
    - Create a Buddies group and message / share files / view everyone in the map view in realtime

============= Current Features =============
    - Launcher with lots of customization, widgets and your favorite apps
    - Map View with offline maps - Made for Recording and Following GPX and Saving Locations
    - Roadbook View
    - Trip Log View (Being currently redone with lots of improvements)
    - File Browser (Being currently redone with lots of improvements)
    - Hardware Handlebar Controller buttons
    - Master Mode app for additional phone to work as a dual GPS system and show extra data on second device screen
    - App can always resume all states even after you reboot your phone
    - and some other things... :D
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    John! Thanks for coming over to the forums. I think a thread here in the forums is a great spot to track progress and provide feedback/bug reports. I'm the one that has been spamming your email for a few weeks. ;)

Don't worry. We will help you build this app out. I love what you are doing, and where it is going. I am glad to support in any way we can.
    hockeyrick and John@ThorkRacing like this.
  18. John@ThorkRacing

Oddometer:
    I wish i add more users like you :D
    Also here´s a question for the community.

Who would be willing to pay a subscription for the Online Features i mentioned? Plus adding the ability to share stuff online like:
    - Subscription members could convert their Trip Logs into public trip journals.
    - Everyone could share online their saved Location so that we can create a Off-Road / Adventure Community POI directory
    - Everyone could share their GPX Tracks / Trip Logs and users could open them in the app and rate them so that we also create a "Best Rides" per country based on user votes.

All this available in both the app and website, the website would serve as a community portal where you could manage all your stuff related to your account (shared files / riding buddies / trip logs / etc).

The worst enemy for this app is actually myself and the fact that i always do everything without feedback. Another real problem is that this is a niche app with very little income, i can´t even hire a second developer to speed things up.
    Just finding time to add guides / videos / instructions in the website is a pain...
    And subscriptions might be the only thing saving the app, but i need to make sure the subscriptions add real value to the user.
    hockeyrick likes this.
  19. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    ^ Firstly, I don’t think most hard-core type of riders want to overly advertise their favorite tracks or routes public. That’s like telling the world about your favorite fishing hole.

Second, If I’m understanding correctly, it’s morphing the device into more of a “social media” convergence. I’ll subscribe to Rever or create a Facebook account if I need that. That just creates lots of bloat.

I have not delved into the app yet, but you’re proactivity is still much appreciated and this forum is an excellent user source to build from. The list you put up with future plans has many really good ideas, especially a good POI database that could run without an active data plan (updating POI’s upon connecting to wi-fi perhaps?).
    scarysharkface likes this.
  20. John@ThorkRacing

Oddometer:
    My idea was to give you control for everything like this:
    - Share Publicly
    - Share with My Riding Buddies only (or with a specific riding buddies group)
    - Or just keep private and synced with all your devices and you can manage it or send it to someone from the app or website.

Also, riding buddies is a "group" of users, maybe make it so that you can be a member of multiple groups?

For example, we´re doing the TET next week, we are 6 guys, i create a group and add everyone there "The Next Week TET Adventure Group". In that group everyone can share their location, files, send messages, waypoints for places to stop (sleep/eat/visit), write messages, etc...
    I think this "social" feature can be very handy for when you ride in a group, for planning stuff and during the actual ride.

Most adventure riders that i know ride in groups, so i always wanted to add option so that we can easily share our locations between our group members and easily share files, rides, and view each-other on the map when we are all on a trip.
    The social aspect can be none (you just do not create the account or you logout), it can be something just for you and your group(s), or you can go public.

Another aspect of everything i make "online" is exactly the fact that i already created an API which can feed the website and app at the same time.
    The app can have Database tables for ANY data that syncs with the API when there is a connection. This is valid for everything, POIs, Location Share, Map Updates, whatever i want, and it´s already DONE!

Also the way the app is done is by avoiding the mixture of the different sections. You can think of each of the app views as almost a standalone app:
    - Launcher
    - Map View
    - Roadbook View
    - Trip Log
    - Browser with your Locations / GPX / Roadbooks

So the Social features can be just an independent view that you use if you want not a forced on you thing, or something visible in the screen that you never use. Maybe i can even add options for the user to enable / disable the shortcuts for the different views, if you do not use the included Map View why keep it´s icon visible? Disable the shortcut in settings.
    scarysharkface and flamingm0e like this.