Drive Mode Dashboard for Android

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Rudeboy78, Jan 17, 2020.

1. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haa, got it. ;) makes sense.
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Kyocera DFPro has two ways of controlling key presses. The simplist is the Assignable key. This gives you all the apps and a few other actions to select from.
    20200521_090234.jpg

The other is in Accessibility/Switch Access section, where you can assign keypress actions to different functions. Here I have assigned the volume up key to scan through options, volume down key to select next and PTT programmable button to touch and hold.
    20200521_092203.jpg
    So effectively I can now work through the menus with gloves, but can it be short cutted to a single button press of an assigned button?
    gpsdualsport likes this.
  3. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Just thought of a nice to have possibly in the future. The phone I would use for Master Mode also has my music player and music storage on it. With Master Mode I know we connect over wifi using the Master phone as the hotspot. Any chance if some of the information passed might be the song information and maybe even controls. I know Dashboard offers music control within it. This might be a bit much, but just thought it might be a nice to have.
    redkerk84 likes this.
  4. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @John@ThorkRacing

Not sure if this is me doing something wrong or by design?

So example. I import a gpx file - follow track then hit a location I want to make a waypoint - all good so far. It creates the waypoint

I goto folders, locations - find the waypoint then choose "add waypoint"

I then open the track that I imported and was expecting to find the marked waypoint on the map - but it doesn't show??

I've done the same thing but with a track that I have previously recorded myself and the waypoint shows when opening the track OK.

Is this a bug??

cheers
  5. Huffduff

Huffduff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes exactly, I wasn't aware of the roadbook mode. Would be great to have the info widgets from there on the main screen.
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    So, notice something a little odd when I load GPX files. I noticed that I never get a countdown on the range. It's like the program doesn't recognize the start and stop points or direction of my GPX files. I was wondering if there's something that it looks for in them and what I should be adding.
    nibby likes this.
  7. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you click the "follow location" icon top left it should then show countdown range - The direction arrows will show (I Think) they did for me a few days ago when I was on the track following it - you get small blue arrows showing direction of travel. Although I have just loaded a track I am thinking of riding today, loaded it and zooming in but it doesn't show the arrows of direction. it does show the track start and end so it's easy enough to know the direction from that but it would be nice if the arrows appeared as well.
  8. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    That's the odd thing. I have 2 finish flags. 1 for track start and another for track finish. I'll try the follow direction, though I thought that only change the map to rotating to my current direction of travel.
  9. John@ThorkRacing

John@ThorkRacing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you load a GPX file it adds a Start Point (Checkpoint) and a Finish Point (Checkpoing Also).
    Once you start riding on the GPX line the Information about next waypoint and distance to the track end should just work, like magic, that´s what i been trying to achieve.
    From time to time i discover a new "GPX" type of file that will make it break but at this moment, most of what i throw at it just works.
    Unfortunately there are MANY poorly made GPX Track files, specially multi-track GPX files where the track order in the file does NOT match the really track order that the rider is supposed to do.

But overall, at least for what i been trying it´s working very well.

Just today i released another DM update that adds yet more support for some more GPX files (some old Garmin generated files).
    I also fixed a case where you could open more then one GPX at the same time (you can´t, the app is not made to handle this YET)
    I also did some tweaking on the camera follow speed

I also spent a full day riding with other apps, 2 hours for each app, and boy i was proud of the simplicity of DM, the smoothness of Location Follow and Orientation Map rotation.
    I loved how simple the Detailed map theme is, how easy it is to change the track color, the direction arrow painted over the track and i really, really love the real time statistics (progress) boxes on the right.
    (Yeah i´m doing the app, so obviously it matches my tastes)
    redkerk84, dazzadm and flamingm0e like this.
  10. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The real time stats, next way point feature, is great, I made a route the other day and finally got out for a good ride to follow it. Knowing how far to the next turn was a awesome feature not having to slow down looking for it to come. :clap
    flamingm0e likes this.
  11. John@ThorkRacing

Oddometer:
    Yeah but it all depends on how the GPX was made and how the waypoints are placed :D
    That´s why i really like to organize my multi day trips, like the TET :p
    dazzadm likes this.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process now of mapping out back roads from Oklahoma to Iowa for a potential work trip coming up.

Using Furkot to plan, and importing the trip into drivemode is painless.

Thank you for all your hard work, John!

I have found another bug with map/gpx.

I load my gpx file ( the file consists of multiple tracks, one for each day of the trip), and the first 120ish miles I want the fastest route there, so I select the waypoint, navigate to, and open an app to navigate it. When I close out of that app, and go back to map, the waypoint list on the right goes blank but it still says I'm following my track. Hitting the menu button for the track options results in a crash. The next time I press the home button, I'm presented to select a home app, like it lost its default setting.

This is reproducible every time on this type of GPX file (made in Furkot, exported out as Garmin GPX (route and track))

Doesn't seem to happen in a pure gpx track file. I have a GPX file I can share with you that does it every time.

EDIT: This seems to happen with any GPX file that consists of route+track. Nothing to do with the "garmin" setting on the Furkot export.
  13. John@ThorkRacing

Oddometer:
    Hummm interesting, please send me the file and i´m sure i´ll fix that in a instant ;)
    flamingm0e likes this.
  14. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the purpose of exporting in the Garmin format and including the route when importing in to Drive Mode? Some secret workflow I don't know about?
  15. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    No worries. I find that if I load a GPX made by https://kurviger.de/en using the round trip option. Those done seem to work with counting down to the finish. Although, I will have to try the new load next weekend to see if it works now.

Couple things also, are there plans to introduce an autozoom based on speed?

Also, this might be crazy up there. What about a speed limit feature to display on the map based on where you are?
  16. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coming your way shortly
    Ha. I started exporting all my trips in a format that Garmin users can use also. It saves me a step of importing to Basecamp to get the route for them to export out. When I put together rides, we have a wide range of riders and gear. Some of them want the Garmin way, others just want to follow a track.

Plus John has mentioned that he wants to include turn by turn navigation one day. I'll be ready for that. ;)
    redkerk84 likes this.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Feature request time!

Can we get the option to make the music player start when the app launches, with a programmable time delay?

Use case: I have switched my Android head unit in my 4runner to use DMD as it's dashboard, and when I get in and start the truck, I have to wait until it connects to my hotspot before I can play music (bug with time sync). A couple of dashboard apps will allow for a time delay and then it starts playing music.

This would be handy to have.

Even if I had the ability to do it via Tasker, I'd be cool with that.
  18. John@ThorkRacing

Oddometer:
    Just fixed this. Will release update.

Hummmmm i dont think i can actually do that.
    I can make it open any app but until you press play on that app there is no way to control it.
    Once you press play it creates the media notification which is the accessible API.
    Well, some apps might have intents that we can broadcast to make them start playing but i would have to check app by app.
    Another solution would be to just create my own media player inside DM which is not that hard anyway.
    As for intent control i think Spotify does have it but not sure if that´s the app you use.
  19. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of apps that do it.
    Car Launcher Pro
    FCC Launcher
    CarWebGuru
    I don't know how they are doing it, but it works. I use Google Play Music with all of them.
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bug report!

Speed widget doesn't respond to tap. But if you long press, and select speed widget again, it will let you tap speed widget and open the big speedometer. If you open another app, you can't tap it again unless you replace it with speed widget.