Drive Mode Dashboard for Android

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Rudeboy78, Jan 17, 2020.

1. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gear indicator???
  2. raschaa

raschaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    naaah.... :D
  3. John@ThorkRacing

John@ThorkRacing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Code for this is all done and tested.
    It will happen, mostly need to implement it.
    KayDubbya and raschaa like this.
  4. Nishijin

Nishijin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi John, quick thanks for developing the app.

It was recommended on the TET fb group I think. Shame the BV6100 is a bit laggy, when rotating the screen the app takes a while to come back.

So am I right in assuming the new UI will be much more like a proper trip computer? I’m used to stuff like Garmin where you have your trip fields. From your teasers looks like it.

I suppose my biggest want would be to have navigation working (ie google maps) on split screen, with a couple customisable fields. That way I can see my speed and current trip distance, without moving from navigation. Maybe too complex? Or maybe I’m just not working out how to do it already.
  5. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've noticed a similar performance "issue" (lags with some display refreshes, especially after screen rotation) since one of the last update in google store. Not a big deal, but noticeable.
    gpsdualsport likes this.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have noticed this over the last few releases actually. When I wake my tablet up it takes 10-15 seconds for it to respond and refresh. My phone was acting the same way (both devices were using DMD as the home launcher), and when I switched back to another home launcher speed is back to normal.
  7. Nishijin

Nishijin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep exactly that. Slow response but only with DMD. I was thinking it’s because the BV6100 isn’t exactly powerful, but the regular home app is instant.
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect a memory leak or it's getting hung on a process that takes a long time to time out. It hasn't bothered me too bad. I have a sequence of getting ready to ride that I go through after the tablet has been sitting for a while. Wake the screen up, get helmet on, open whatever navigation app I need for the ride, throw gloves on and take off. The only time I am actually annoyed by it is when I have my tablet at my desk trying to update apps/maps and it takes so long to wake up.
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Bluetooth OBD2 adapter a la EM327?
    raschaa likes this.
  10. John@ThorkRacing

Oddometer:
    dazzadm, raschaa, KayDubbya and 2 others like this.
  11. OverLordkv

OverLordkv n00b

Oddometer:
    DMD2 or this will be update for current version?
  12. John@ThorkRacing

Oddometer:
    It will not be an update it will be a different app.

DMD2 Launcher itself will be free, pretty much all that i been showing will be free.

- There will be a new map (with turn by turn navigation and 3D accelerated render) which you can either buy once or pay subscription.
    - There will be a new Roadbook view which you can select to purchase or not.
    - There will be an OBD Sensors view which you can select to purchase or not.

And more down the line there will be an Online / Account / Services which you can subscribe or not (also pay once or subscription).

Bottom line is, current Drive Mode model is a recipe for failure, pay 5€ once and that is it, makes it a doomed app from the start. If it does not return money i can not justify more years of development without profit.
    So this model seems more fair, you only buy the "plugins" that you need and want to have.
    You always have the option to buy Life-Time or Subscription.

This also pushes me to think about and develop more plugins for cool stuff, knowing that new plugins generate new inflow of money. Basically static stuff that do not need a server side will be pay-once, stuff that need the server side will be either more expensive for lifetime purchase or a monthly/year subscription.

Its Android apps, so its always inexpensive stuff, do not worry about going broke ;)
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    sign me up for all of those things. ;)
  14. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the á la carte options. I don't really need the road book feature (at least not now) but I'm really looking forward to the other modules. My personal preference is to pay once, rather than monthly, so hopefully you can find a pricing schedule that's fits both your economic needs as well as my budget. The good news is that I'm so pleased with the current DMD that purchasing your next iteration seems low risk.
  15. Nishijin

Nishijin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I’m not unhappy that I paid for the current app and I have supported you. I am keen to see when this new version is available.

As for free/paid/etc, like I said above, what I’d like is purely the ride stats splitscreen with my own navi app (gmaps, trailwise, etc etc). The BV6100 sits without a sim card as a pure satnav unit so subscription-based features aren’t important to me.

Hopefully the lag and stuff on the current version is fixed. I wouldn’t like to buy a second app with the same issue.

I just want nice big data fields on one half and navigation, be it gpx or road, on the other.
  16. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I too am so happy with DMD that I see the next version as very low risk, with great upside. Regarding the OBD Sensor plugin, I assume that means on-board diagnostics. How does that work and how would I access the bike's CANBus to get at those sensors' data?
  17. raschaa

raschaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you'll need an OBD2 adaptor and a bluetooth data reader

look here
    KayDubbya likes this.
  18. kubcat

Oddometer:
    oh yeah - I already have a setup for clear codes with my wired reader and a BT OBD2 dongle. Wasn't thinking about that... Now I'm anxious to see what data the app displays, and how the interface is set up. Maybe a true substitute for the dash. The KTM 790s have been having intermittent dash blackouts, but the bike keeps running just fine. Hasn't happened to me, but if I was running DMD2 with the OBD plugin on my tablet, I would have a solid backup plan. I wonder if there will be user configurable "widgets" available in the OBD screen to display bike-specific data such as ABS state (front only, both on, both off) and traction control slip rates/settings. That would be really cool.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  19. John@ThorkRacing

Oddometer:
    Sensors will be available as widgets and there will also be a fully configurable OBD sensors view with all the info ;)
    ABS / Slip / Settings are not available as OBD Data almost for sure, that is specific bike stuff, i would have to "hack" into every bike.
    OBD Data is stuff like:
    - Temperatures
    - RPM
    - Speed
    - Fuel (in some cases)
    - Throttle Position
    - Error Codes
    - MAP
    - Level and Pressures
    All the stuff that is common to all EFI engines.
    Although we have a manufacturer that is releasing a bike with DMD2 and wants a bit more, like specific ECU settings for Idle Adjustment, Throttle Position Reset / Adjustment, even ECU Map update using DMD2 :O , so i guess if i start working with some manufacturers like this i could get access to the code needed for ECU changes and that might allow me to do more :D ***i can only dream***
  20. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I'll buy the KTM widgets if you hack it. Build that software empire.
    KayDubbya and flamingm0e like this.