DrNinja?

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by dentedvw, Dec 8, 2011.

1. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    I gave seen and admired the klre650 threads, and my triumph has nearly got a new owner, so now I'm on the hunt for my next bike. I haven't had any luck finding a Klr to butcher, but there is no shortage of Dr650 bikes, and they remained mostly unchanged and have several tank options that would suit long rides. Not too much trouble finding ninjas to donate a 650 twin.
    Is there any good reason a Dr would not make a good platform for this swap?
    I have seen the Dr with the 500cc motor, but I'm still primarily interested in the water cooled twin.
    Thoughts?

All this tripe was tapped out on my phone, apologies for ant weird word substitutions.
    Also, I have no excuse other than tiny screen for the Icon for this thread. I am not angry at anything or anyone about this possible build. Yet. :lol3
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That would be a great project. The DR has excellent aftermarket support for much more than just fuel tanks, too. There is nothing wrong with the stock motor on the DR, but the parallel twin 650 is a really good sounding motor.

There is a guy who lives somewhere across the creek from me who has one with aftermarket exhaust. My wife was getting irritated with me because everything had to stop each day when he came home so I could listen to it (but couldn't see it). I think that sound is what drove me to buy a twin.:1drink

I say go for it!
  3. climbingfire

climbingfire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my DR5 we used the 500 ninja the complete cooling system it!
  4. dentedvw

Oddometer:
    Oh, not sure why I thought it was an air cooled beast. :)
  5. dentedvw

Oddometer:
    A few of my reasons:
    Want a bike I can ride off road, but mainly on dirt or gravel, more often desert.
    Want enough room for two, now and then.
    Quiet, but enough juice to get about with camping stuff and boxes.
    Not so pretty that falling over is painful just to see.
    Average wheels using a wide array of easily obtained tires.
    Inexpensive. Because I'm cheap. Heh!
    Dual sport ergonomics are best for me.
    Easy maintenance.

I like my drz, but it shakes me to bits, is loud enough to be annoying, and is a bit small for me and my daughter.
    I admit I haven't ridden a stock Dr650 that was worth a darn, so maybe I should give a newer unit a try, but the ninja motor intrigues me.
  6. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The primary show stopper for putting the ex650 twin motor in a thumper frame has been the airbox configuration.

The throttle bodies have the air cleaner on top which interferes with the frame/backbone on a thumper.

While the KLRE builds are nice, none of them have adequately address the airbox, they usually throw on some pod filters and call it good.

The most recent KLRE build iirc is attempting to use the frame as an airbox.
  7. dentedvw

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh... I see. So I need to be a wizard. :lol3
  8. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. dentedvw

Oddometer:
    That's fully awesome.
    They hit the nail right on the head.
    I doubt seriously I could afford a Weber RallyTwin. :rofl
    But awesome!
  10. dentedvw

Oddometer:
    Oh, dear god. It's no wonder there are only two in the world.
  11. bill_in_pittsburgh

bill_in_pittsburgh ADVer in training...

Oddometer:
    Wow...I've spent the last few months thinking about doing EXACTLY the same thing (putting a parallel twin engine in a dual sport frame).

I love what the Weber brothers did. I just wish they could find a way to sell the bike for a more reasonable price. Oh well, that's all the more reason to build my own.
  12. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    It can be done. You just have to be willing to put in the work and blaze the trail. If you're more of the type to follow someone else's step by step directions, just buy a KLR and do that.
    Custom engine/frame projects aren't for everyone.
  13. dentedvw

Oddometer:
    It's going to happen, there is more and more of these things happening. :deal
    My Tiger is sold, and the holidays are upon us. Sometime early next year, this will begin in earnest.
    :freaky

In the meantime, I still have my DRZ for scooting.

The Ninja motor is great, but what a huge pain to fit an airbox. I am not a huge fan of pods, but then again here in Utah, I will be dealing with much less water than I was in Michigan, so perhaps it's a fair trade.

I am not a frame builder, it's true, but I have the desire, the space, almost the time, and soon the money, so what the heck. I am a fan of circumstance, luck if you will. The right chassis will present itself at the right time, and then I will purchase a wrecked Ninja. And then I can start losing hair. :lol3
  14. malokam

malokam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have access to Dyno testing, trying out your own airbox mod would be a great idea. If you ever accomplish this, I will follow suit. :D
  15. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. malokam

malokam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decent idea, but then (I think) to get increased performance through out the power-band, you need to get the Big Valve upgrade and the Performance Camshaft (preferably 190 Cam)

That adds up to $2000+ just for parts alone not including the labor costs if any. And I did not find anybody till date that actually did all these upgrades to their DR.

The EX Motor puts out 54HP Default but not many upgrades can be done to it.
    This EX500 big bore upgrade looks possible but dont know how many actually did it. (See below)
    http://www.enginedynamics.com/kits/kawasaki.shtml