Drone's BMW G650 XCountry Mods

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DRONE, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Jon-- all your answers can be found in the G650 Thread Index.

But I'll PM you with my phone number and, since you're local to me, just give me a call sometime.
  2. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Sturgis BMW has a new leftover 07 Xmoto for $5995 that they would probably drop to move it. I would think they could go lower.
  3. armex

armex n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Drone, adding to this question, from the pictures of your bike it seems that you managed to leave the bar end weights and install the HDB handguards still, is that teh case? if so, how did you manage? I've just gotten my xcountry kit from HDB and it just doesn't seem possible to fit it unless I get rid of the bar end weights...

Also, if I did install the handguards without the weights, it seems that they would be in the way of the break lever at least, even if I push it towards the center as much as the handlebar allows...
    I live in Mexico and it is difficult to get parts for the xcountry here, and I wouldn't like to mess things up while trying to install it.

I've added a few accesories to my 2009 XC and its coming along quite nicely and practical. Will try and post a few pictures soon after I try the set up in a longish trip (perhaps Baja) later this month. I've followed some of your ideas, so thanks a lot for sharing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Armex, you've been a member for almost a year and this is your first post? I'm honored! :wings

In your shipment from HDB, there should be 2 new bar end weights to replace the BMW weights. They are painted black and are about the same size and shape as the BMW weights, except they are flat on both sides. You can see one of them here in this pic--

[​IMG]

If these are not in the box, contact HDB. You need the HDB weights to make sure that the guards remain well clear of your clutch and brake controls. Remember also that you need to tap the BMW end plugs that the bar end weights screw into. Those plugs are tapped for M6 bolts and your new handguards use M8 bolts.

Once you have the HDB weights, If the fit is close, but not perfect, that's OK. Just mount the guards to the center bar clamp then "muscle" the outer ends into place, insert the M8 bolts, and tighten.
  5. armex

armex n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the prompt reply Drone I couldn't figure it out, but yes, the new weight ends are missing in the package which was evidently what was causing the headaches..., so I'll track them down (the pieces went from hand to hand until someone was able to bring them to me down to MX) or contact HDB if worse comes to worse for a pair, and hopefully get them before the Baja trip later this month.
    Once the hanguards are fitted, and the Wunderlich screen (arriving on Dec. 24 through another friend) is attached, I'll be ready to go.
    The plan for next year: auxilliary lights, headlight grill (just because I like the looks of it) and if possible adapt a small simple and easy to read tachometer...
    and as we say here...muchas gracias!
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Oh, if you figure out a small, simple, easy reading tachometer, be sure to tell the rest of us about it!
  7. tankgirl

tankgirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i like this combo!
    gonna look for a second hand bash plate and then some crash bars like these, it looks clean!

can you maybe help me with a part number for the crash bars, and a price??? thanks!
  8. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    IMHO, the best bet for the tach-obsessed is http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.html.

[​IMG]

I checked out the installation difficulty factor, and it's not too bad.

I'm just not tach-oriented. (Gee, I see I'm lugging it -- too bad, that's better than clutching/shifting/losing-momentum. Or, Gee, it won't go any faster, duh, I guess it's time to shift.)
  9. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Tankgirl--

Those BMW engine bars are Part No. 71607706067 and sell for about $125 here in the USA.

To find a used XChallenge bash plate, you might try sending PM's to riders from THIS THREAD. Maybe one of them wouldn't mind selling you one cheap and shipping it to SA. That's how I got mine -- new ones cost about $225 but I bought mine for $100 (shipped) from a fellow inmate and it was pristine. Be sure to ask if it's all beat to hell or not.
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The only reason I'd like a tach is because I seem to hit the rev limiter in 2nd fairly often, and it's always an abrupt end to a smooth build-up! :lol3

Most of the digital tachs are way too big for what I want. I'm looking for something small and light that won't crowd up the instrument panel/handlebar area too much but still easy-to-read. Haven't looked too hard for one, but haven't found one either.
  11. tankgirl

tankgirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cool thank you so much for the part number! :)
    and i'm gonna try and find a bashplate locally first, haha
    thanks again!
  12. Leon T

Leon T n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Please help me out. I am new here. I recently bought a x country and am looking for auxiliary tank options. Do you know of anything?

Thanks!!!
  13. derder

derder Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Solrider

Solrider Smiling Politely

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, I'm a noob here searching for my first bike and I'm super close to pulling the trigger on a 2009....just waiting for the numbers to come back.

My question is in regards to a skid plate/frame guard combo. So far for skids I've seen the Touratech or the XChallenge option. Is there another I am missing?

The Touratech looks nice but huge and I'm not sure it will work with any of the frame guards out there. Does anyone have a specific combo they are using on their bike? These are some of the first items I'd like to purchase.

Also will most of the Touratech items listed for the XChallenge work on the XCountry? Radiator guard specifically.

Thanks!!
  15. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    Welcome weezerbot. Adventum(andrewgore) was making a skid plate. I don't know if he is doing another run or not (getting married).Andrew's, Touratech, Hyde, and OEM are the only ones I know of:ear but there may be others. Most Xchallenge stuff will fit our bikes. I don't know which rad guard you speak of(the black tube guard or the silly aluminum cover)but they should both work. Tod(5chord) had what I feel is the ultimate in protection (andrew's skid with HB engine guards)

As for me and my plans...I have Andrew's skid(but may upgrade to a TT rally with toolbox if Andrew dosen't come up with one) then some HB engine guards and some Highway Dirt Bikes beefy handguards.
  16. Solrider

Solrider Smiling Politely

Oddometer:
    Thank you! This site is a wealth of knowledge. Hyde! I knew there was one I was missing. I love th TT Rally but I think thats more than I want to pay for a skid.

Thanks for all your help, its really hard to see in some of the pics what goes exactly where. As for the Rad guard I was talking about the tube one. There don't seem to be many options out there for just covers that aren't cheesy.
  17. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Weezerbot (and others)-- Drone here (the OP). Do you know that there is a whole thread dedicated to the XCountry? Click here. That would be the best place for your questions. There are hundreds of guys monitoring that thread while there are only a few watching this one.

On that radiator protection, Colebatch thinks it's unnecessary and he kinda has the last word--he's the Sibursky Extreme guy. Here's his thread on the mods he made to his XChallenge. Good reading there.
  18. tabone75

tabone75 n00b

Oddometer:
    Guys
    Where can I purchase a good aluminium radiator guard?

Will a Xchallenge radiator guard fit a Xcountry.

thanks
    John
  19. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this will be available quite soon.

http://xrange.ca/

20. tabone75

tabone75 n00b

Oddometer:
    What is the diameter of the bars of the '09 Xcountry. It hasn't arrived yet and want to order the Oxford heated grips.
    thanks