Drug home a "race" car.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by c1skout, Dec 23, 2018.

1. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
  2. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Black Moshannon is about an hour and a half east of me, last time I camped there I was just a kid, maybe 4-6 years old. It's a nice park! I hope to get back again with my family.
  3. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the latest?

I've really enjoyed this thread, especially how you take the time to clean up everything you touch.
    Bones_mcgregor and RedRocket like this.
  4. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I've been lax with updates. I haven't done much TO the car, but I do have a few things I can document when I get some time. Got another race this coming weekend.
    vtwin, rokon140, airgord and 2 others like this.
  5. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well race fans, my Ranger tk needed some long overdue maintenance, so I skipped the race this weekend and started on that. But here's a racecar update anyways. My left rear strut shit the bed. It became VERY resistant to movement, blew the strut mount apart and generally made hateful squalking noises whenever I went up my driveway. I ordered up some new KYB struts and mounts.
    0803191149.jpg

The problem that I wasn't looking forward to was the lower control arm. Anyone who lives here in the rust belt knows what I'm talking about. Here's
    old bushing that connects the lower control to the strut bottom.

DSCN2704.JPG

The problem is the through-bolt rusts itself fast to the steel sleeve that runs through the bushing, making easy disassembly an impossibility. I cut the head off the bolt, removed the nut from the other side, then separated the control arm from the strut with an application of pry bars and hammers.
    DSCN2706.JPG

Next I needed to remove the old bushing. I used a drill through the rubber. A few passes and some twisting and the bushing pushed through.
    DSCN2709.JPG

I had ordered some new rubber bushings, trying to keep the car legal for the "street" class that I race in. I chipped, scraped, filed and sanded the inside of the control arm to remove all the traces of old rubber and rust, making a cozy home for the new bushing. Here was my final idea that I came up with, trying to get the rubber bushing into the control arm.
    DSCN2710.JPG

It was an abject failure. If I'd been able to remove the arm and use a press, it would have popped right in, I'm sure. My selection of sockets, washers, hose clamps and all-thread were roundly rejected.
    zookster likes this.
  6. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Try a long bolt, some washers, and a socket to push the bushing in.
  7. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    UngaWunga, That's exactly what I was trying. I wasted a couple hours, even tried lubing it up with tire soap. No dice. I bit the bullet and ordered a poly set from Whiteline Performance. Nice stuff. Even their proprietary grease isn't sticky like all the other poly greases I've played with. I originally didn't buy their kit because I knew I wasn't taking the front of the arm off, so I was only using half the kit. And I was trying to stick with the rubber bushing. Oh well. If someone wants to bitch about me using 2 poly bushings in HS class let 'em!
    Sorry I didn't take install pics, but here's some finished shots from my driveway today.
    DSCN3090.JPG

DSCN3092.JPG

I even took the car to my local Firestone shop for a 4-wheel alignment. I talked to the "tech" who was going to do the work, explained to him that I race the car and asked him to get me as much negative camber as possible. He said he'd do what he could, and then he REALLY smiled when I told him that I've just had EVERYTHING apart, even the rear toe adjusters, so I knew he wouldn't have any trouble getting stuff to move.

Here's a shot of the printout they gave me.
    0816192143.jpg

The next bit was a surprise. My Nephews bought me RACE TIRES!! A lightly used set of RE-71 Bridgestones on 15x6 Honda wheels. I did need to buy spacers to fit the rear wheels. The added (subtracted?) offset put the inside of the tires hard into the struts. I got nice bolt-on spacers that push them out to clear.
    DSCN2703.JPG

I got nice bolt-on spacers that push them out to clear.
    0729191935.jpg

So with the new struts, alignment, wheels and tires I went expectantly to the next race......and murdered a PILE of cones! Actually only 6 cones in three runs. That was too many changes at one time. The race tires have a much more direct feel at the helm, but the rear of the car seemed easier to get out of shape. I adjusted tire pressure a bit, but mostly just adjusted myself, and ended the day happy with my performance.
    In my class I finished 3rd out of 5.
    In PAX times I beat 2 Camaros, a Fiesta ST, a Focus ST, and a pair of Honda S2000's.
    I had 2 clean runs out of 5, but there were only about 10% of the runs all day that were clean. It was a tight course!

Here's my new sticker. Top Gear fans "get it" right away!
    DSCN3085.JPG

I put some snazzy Roosport stickers on the top too.
    DSCN3083.JPG

I think that's it. I'm all caught up now. One more race left this year in my local chapter. Hopefully I make that one.
    airgord, KeithinSC, RedRocket and 9 others like this.
  8. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    @c1skout, the car is looking great! You've taken a real dog and turned it into a fun weekend racer, congratulations. Since I'm an architect and very visually oriented, would you please replace the missing rub strip on the driver's door? It will improve the aerodynamics and you'll lose 7/10ths on every run! If it is impossible to find, just run a couple of strips of black tape where the missing piece should be. That's only worth 3/10ths, but hey, any port in a storm. Thank you.
  9. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha. My wife keeps telling me to put it on too! I have the one for the left door, it's even painted. I ran out of moulding tape and haven't bought any yet. I do still need the strip for the right side, so if I put the left side on I'll be unbalanced .
    villageidiot and zookster like this.
  10. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, today was the last autocross of the season for the local chapter, at Indiana PA's Jimmy Stewart airport. I wasn't able to make any of the earlier races at this spot, so I was excited for the chance today. My nephew Austin and I met at 6 am to go help set up everything for the race. Here's a blurry pic from the morning drive.

DSCN3171.JPG

Austin's "latest" Neon project, a '98 ish R/T, and my racecar in the paddock.
    DSCN3172.JPG

Here's the track area, as pictured by Austin's wife. My car is the red spot in the distance.
    DSCN3174.JPG

And an action shot. Spectators told me that my inside rear tires were spending some time in the air today. Those sticky tires sure work!
    DSCN3178.JPG

Going through the finish gate.
    DSCN3176.JPG

Here's my times for the day.
    DSCN3179.JPG

I went off course my first 2 runs, and hit a cone on my last one. But I still beat 4 cars in raw time, 7 in pax, and won my class, kinda. There weren't any other cars IN my class today!

That's all the autocross for this season. There's a road rally later this month that I may try to make it to, I think that sounds like fun.

Thanks to everyone who participated in, and even those who just read this thread. That helped to keep me working at finishing it. I enjoyed building my car, and hope to get many more runs in it!

Maybe I'll even continue to improve!
  11. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    My cousin is an architect and things like that drive her nuts. I pointed out that in her own (previous and admittedly inherited) house the receptacles flanking the arch in her dining room were not evenly centered in their respective walls and she hung her head in shame, all too aware that she'd not remedied that.
    High Hope likes this.
  12. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is she single?

:lol3
  13. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    You did great on this build and racing this year. It's a slippery slope - we are heading out in 10 minutes for an event today. We started Autox 6 years ago because we drove by the lot and saw the cars going around and thought we'd see what was up. When my son turned 16, we hit hard and have been ever since. We are on are our 4th car.....
    Hatch, Bones_mcgregor and c1skout like this.
  14. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Nope, sorry.
  15. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    HEre's to next summer's project !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Ruined cars down the hall.
    Hatch likes this.
  17. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    That's where it came from. I was going to post it here but chores beckoned. Glad someone else did it.
  18. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW! Not to my taste, but if someone dropped it off at my barn for me I'd fix it right.......or at least salvage the right side door molding and soft top for mine. :D

The shame is that's probably a clean low mileage car under all that, ummmm, IMPROVING that someone paid for.

Oh, and I believe the NEXT project is in it's preliminary stages already........... I'll be needing a T-10 Falcon shifter I think :-)