1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Drug home a "race" car.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by c1skout, Dec 23, 2018.

1. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had work Sat, so no big progress this weekend. We're having real heavy winds today. I tried to do some work but packed it in before one of my doors got bent backwards! I finished welding the right side patches in the other evening. Today I sprayed some primer on them so that it's ready for seam sealer. Here's the right side outer patch, looking back from the front brake rotor.
    DSCN1959.JPG

The left side didn't look as bad......at least the hole isn't as big. I got the tar and undercoat all scraped away. Here's the interior area.
    DSCN1963.JPG

Here's one from under the left side, looking forward. The "jack mount" thing looks toast, but the rocker panel is still nice.
    DSCN1961.JPG
    Gotta love rodents. I took this pic of the underdash area to show off how the acids in the mouse dirt attacked all the bare metal. I'm sure I'll be spending more time under here later, cleaning grounds and such. I might just yank the whole dash out. I'm going to have to pull the heater box anyways, mice ALWAYS make nests in those. Then you get to smell that lovely aroma all the time. Especially nice with the heat on :puke2.
    DSCN1965.JPG

That's it for now. I'm going to watch a movie.
    villageidiot and zookster like this.
  2. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    A big shout out to inmate VillageIdiot, who was nice enough to donate this box of sound deadener and insulation to my project.
    DSCN1966.JPG

I've got a bit of progress to report too, but I'll edit that in tomorrow.
    vtwin, zookster, klp and 3 others like this.
  3. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was cutting out the rusty inner floor pieces, getting back to solid metal. Surprise! There were bits of mouse nest falling down from inside the channels. I kept digging and vacuuming until it stopped coming out.
    DSCN1967.JPG

I got the worst of the inner panel cut away. I decided to start patching from the bottom again.
    DSCN1969.JPG

I cut out a slice of cardboard for a template.
    DSCN1972.JPG

then made the first patch. The holes are for welding straight into the rocker.
    DSCN1974.JPG
    zookster likes this.
  4. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started tacking the patch in place. Fun welding upside down when the car is juuuust high enough to fit a welding helmet in underneath.
    DSCN1976.JPG

I got a bit more weld on, then ran out of wire. That was okay though, it was getting dark and time for supper. Here's a shot of the inside from when I gave up for the night.
    DSCN1979.JPG

That's it for now. Still plenty left to do. I picked up some wire after work today and got a bit more done. The first patch is finished and I started on the second, but I didn't take any pics yet.
    zookster and villageidiot like this.
  5. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Considering the lousy work environment I won’t mention the Ray Charles welds.

:hide
    c1skout likes this.
  6. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    No offense taken. I see good welds all the time, if I make a good one it was an accident! That's about all the better I can do, even under good conditions! Flux core and tin don't mix well for me.

You should see what I can do with a cutting torch though:D.
  7. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had all day today to work on my project. I had a couple cups of coffee when I got up, then headed down to shovel out my garage.
    DSCN1981.JPG

I continued on the floor repair. I made a template for my first patch of the day, then set about cutting it out.
    DSCN1982.JPG

Here's the patch partially installed. Still needed a lot of fill weld at this point.
    DSCN1983.JPG

I finished that patch, then moved on to the next, rearmost one. Here's a pic of the floor all done, primed, and ready for seam-sealer.
    DSCN1991.JPG

With the floor welding completed I was anxious to get fuel back into the tank and see if the fresh gas would make it run on all 4 holes.
  8. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to report that after all my floor patching........both doors still open and close easily. Yes, I've made that mistake in the past on a different project!
    DSCN1989.JPG

Don't think I mentioned unplugging the computer before the welding. I plugged it back in now. Yes, I've made that mistake in the past on a different project!
    DSCN1990.JPG

I poured in 5 gallons of fresh regular and set about trying to make the fuel pump run to fill the lines. Jumper wires, extra battery in the back seat, multimeter checking voltages, arrgh! Eventually I pulled the pump back out of the tank, hooked it hot and banged on it with a linesman plier to get it running. It actually puffed some dried gas powder out the pressure side when it started up. I'll put a pump on my list, but this one's going back in for now! With a running pump I quickly got my fuel line filled, then installed my new filter and fuel hoses. I ran the pump again then to fill the filter before plugging the hose into the fuel rail.
    DSCN1992.JPG

Installed a new air filter too.
    DSCN1997.JPG

I ended up tossing the drivers seat back in the car, pretty tough to push the clutch in for starting without it.
  9. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fresh gas, charged up battery, hit the key and it roars to life, on 2 cylinders. I let it run a bit to see if any more holes wanted to join in, but no joy. I shut it off and noticed a bit of a coolant leak.
    DSCN1995.JPG

It's dripping from one of the coolant bypass hoses. I'll get that fixed up, but first let's pull the sparkplugs for a looksee. 1&2 holes are carbon fouled. 3&4 are clean and wet with gas. I clean and dry the plugs, then put them back in, swapping positions. Fire it back up and still no good. I ran the transmission through all 5 gears with it up on the stands, just to see if it sounded okay. All seems fine with the gearbox, at least running it without a load. I ran it long enough to start the temperature gauge moving, then shut it back down.
    So now at least I know that:
    1) the trans seems ok
    2) the temperature, oil pressure and fuel gauges work
    3) speedo works
    4) it appears to be charging
    5) dash brake light is out, and the pedal feels good with vacuum boost
    I was hoping the fresh gas would make it run on all 4. Guess not. Don't know what to think now. Plug wires, cap and rotor are all old looking so it won't hurt to replace those next. I might yank the injectors and look at them. Don't know if I can tell a bad one from looking at it, but I think they could be my problem, either varnished or full of rust.
    That's all progress for me. I decided to drain the coolant then call it a day. I removed the under engine slop covers to access the petcock. At least the coolant looked nice and bright green. PO may have been good about coolant maintenance.........or it looks nice because he had a slight leak and kept topping-up :lol2.

Here's my next big rust issue. Lower core support is gone. No surprise, we saw this before bringing the car home.
    DSCN2001.JPG

I have a better section of core support to use when I repair this one. Don't know if I'm going to start on that after fixing the coolant leak, or try to get it running right first, or finish up the floor work, or yank the dash............:baldy
    klp likes this.
  10. lowriderglen

lowriderglen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pull the injectors and have someone with an injector flow bench flush and flow them. They are stopped up with dried up crap fuel.....Should cost $40-80. Good luck . I have a turbo version of that car in my basement.
    RedRocket likes this.
  11. Bones_mcgregor

Bones_mcgregor n00b

Oddometer:
    Sell him the turbo parts!
    c1skout likes this.
  12. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there's anybody in my area who offers a service like that I've never heard of it. I'll ask around and see.
    Why's the XR2 in the basement?
  13. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a place out here that does a 24hr turn around on em.

Let me know if ya need them. It’s usually $20-30/injector

I usually send em a few sets a month
  14. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could swap the injectors around from good to bad to see if the problem follows them. Just to be certain that is the problem. Also might want to check the cam timing basics just to make sure someone hadn't pulled the distributor at some point and got it back in one tooth off, etc.
  15. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 1989 323 GTX with the same 1.6 turbo motor originally, The missing on the cylinders is usually the spark plug wires. The 1.6T eats plug wires I finally went with Magnacores. The dizzy only goes in one way, no way to screw that up. If its a 91 year, I think it has the large crank nose so no worries about the worn keyway and drifting timing with the early small nose B6's.

Have fun, oh I removed the 1.6T and installed the BPT 1.8T and correct AWD trans on my GTX. I have Auto-crossed and tracked this car since new.

NOTE: on the wires, at least get NGK brand.

Its about 100 bucks to have the injectors cleaned around here, Injector Doctor did mine.
  16. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input, fellows.
    Tominboise, I had thought about cam timing but I haven't looked at it yet. It doesn't "sound off" if you know what I mean. New belt is on my list.

GPD323, I have a set of Beck-Arnley plug wires en route (rock auto closeout) to replace these. The ones on my car look like they may be OE, but with 180,000 on the clock I really doubt they are the ones the car shipped with. My first Capri had the wallowed keyway problem. I repaired it with a Locktite product and it held until I swapped the engine the following year. Got any pics of that GTX?

Villageidiot, (and everyone else) is it NOT a good idea to replace injectors with the "reman" ones I see for sale on the web? Prices are all over the map! It looks like I could buy injectors for as low as $17 each, but $40 is a more common price. I would rather stick with OEM or a quality replacement, but how to tell if the ones IN the car now are even the original, or proper replacements? If there's a chance that I have a set of mismatched, cheapie reman injectors in the car I'd rather spend the money to get a set of the right ones.

Or am I putting too much thought into this? Almost 40 years of working on vehicles for fun, and I've never had need to repair or replace an injector before, so this is all new to me.
  17. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you can buy injectors, then buy injectors. I’d buy somethin middle of the road. I’ve had good luck with rebuilt injectors from GB. An injector is basically a soleneoid, so long as the solenoid works, the filter going into it isn’t plugged and the tips aren’t corroded shut/or disrupting the spray pattern, an injector isn’t a high fail item.

But age and sitting and fuel drying in them really messes shit up, and that’s what I deal with a lot with what I do for work, people are trying to resurrect a lot of old early efi Mercedes.

On Mercedes with d-jet Bosch injection, an injector is $286 each, so I’ll send em out for cleaning/flow test/ filter replacement, and only buy as many as is needed. I mean, it’s not my money, but if I can save the customer some money I will.
  18. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are a few. I am the original owner. Good to know that this Capri is not your first. So you know all about the issues and fixes. I was going to suggest hitting up a Capri forum, but I am sure you have already.
    I put the GTX on a dyno years ago and it put down 240HP and 238TQ to all 4 wheels, it is AWD from the factory. Lost of mods.

Attached Files:

bobfab, Hatch, Fenianbastard and 3 others like this.
  19. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    full side shot, oil change time. Have fun with the Capri!!!!

Attached Files:

c1skout and villageidiot like this.
  20. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your GTX is sweet! I've only ever seen 1 of those in the wild.
    There's a guy on the TeamCapri forum who swapped a GTX drivetrain into his Capri.
    villageidiot likes this.