Drug home my first Vespa! Lots o' pics

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sro99, Aug 6, 2019.

1. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Found a dirty and banged up 2009 Vespa GTS 250 for $1800cdn ($1350usd). It has 18,000km on it and a thick layer of dust and dirt on the motor and body. It has scrapes on one side and scrapes and a dent on the other. It's not pretty but the price was right for my budget and my first Vespa!

With some time and effort I'm going to clean it up, change the fluids and open up the cvt to check the belt and rollers.

Thanks to all those people for posting pictures of their Vespa's as it got me searching for one! :clap

More to come, slowly, as I still have the Forza to ride and the Vespa will be a project for my spare time and fun tinkering.

1 - Copy.jpg

4 - Copy.jpg

Had to take the front wheel off to stuff it in the van.
    2 - Copy.jpg

3 - Copy.jpg
    Pezz_gs, kpinvt, CBRider and 7 others like this.
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    When you get it out, take the time to wash it really well. I have a simple pressure washer and that's what I use. It makes it much easier to dig into the thing when you first blow out the spiders and the bigger chunks of dirt and filth.
    sro99 and The Virginian like this.
  3. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I found one with a dent and scratch patina like that one at a good price I'd be tempted too. I would be too afraid of what I would do with a nice new one. I added a couple scratches to my buddy when I did an accidental wheelie landing on a couple 5 gallon paint cans in the garage. I'd hate to do that with a nice shiny new Vespa.
    Wentwest, sro99 and The Virginian like this.
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! I :clap:clap:clap That's the spirit and I know scooter tag will get Vespa bombed!

Eric
    CBRider and sro99 like this.
  5. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Had a friend help me unload it when I got home. He said the scratches add character. ;) I'll try to buff out some of the scratches with some paint cleaner and then some wax later on. First things will be the mechanicals. Belt, rollers, clutch, brakes, oil, etc.

That was the first thing I did Wentwest. I gave it a quick sponge bath and hit the motor with a garden hose on the lowest setting and fan spray. Now my hands won't turn black from just touching it.

Thanks Eric!
    CaptnJim and The Virginian like this.
  6. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    After the bath I rode it around the neighbourhood to dry it off. After 7km I saw a cop and then a second one so went straight home! Haven't been to the DMV yet.

5 - Copy.jpg
    The Virginian likes this.
  7. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    The mechanical part is what counts. I bought a black Lance Cali Classic in that same condition to ride around locally and not have to worry about getting more scratches on it. I didn't even wash it other than the lights, mirrors, and seat. I would not use a pressure washer on any bike. It will go right past seals and gaskets and get water where it doesn't belong. I have found water inside light housings, airboxes, rusted axles, rusted out steering head bearings, rusted handlebar switches, all from someone using a pressure washer. A garden hose with a spray nozzle is fine, but not a car wash, or gas powered pressure washer. If you want to get it really clean, use paint brushes and tooth brushes to get into all the hard to reach places, rinse it with a garden hose, then get a few gallons of distilled water and a cheap pump up garden sprayer to rinse the tap water out of the nooks and crannies to prevent spots and corrosion caused by minerals in the water. Simple Green is a good but not too strong degreaser that is easy to wash off.

You will need a special tool to remove the CVT cover. If you remove the chrome cap near the rear wheel, you will find two holes. Scooterwest makes a special tool to stick in those holes to hold the clutch in place so you can remove the cover. With 18,000KM on it, you might want to just go ahead and order the whole kit from Scooterwest that includes the belt, rollers, and all the special tools, and replace the belt. https://www.scooterwest.com/deluxe-belt-variator-clutch-overhaul-kit-vespa-gts-250.html

The valves may also need adjusting. I have not reached that mileage yet, so I don't know exactly what is involved.
    pmillar, CaptnJim and sro99 like this.
  8. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    154B7235-06C6-4975-96DB-753328E90D0C.jpeg Just clean it up to where you’re happy with it, and called the patina!
    kpinvt, mnmlst, DandyDoug and 2 others like this.
  9. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    it looks great as is. If you want to pull the dent give a Harbor Freight dent puller a try. I had good to excellent results using one on a dented motorcycle gas tank.
    [​IMG]
    kpinvt and sro99 like this.
  10. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    You hit the sweet spot for us scooter world bottom feeders. Some of the best finds are the ones that were dropped by the owner, who then put the bike away in the garage and ignored it for a decade before the urge to clean out the garage finally beat the need to "get back to it someday." Clearing out the old gas and glop, the contaminated brake fluid, the funky tires and the angry black widow spiders is the biggest job. In California the DMV fees can be a killer, too. Once you get past the DMV and the nasty gas tank and fuel system it should be fine.

I'm wondering whether the Forza or the Vespa will end up the number 1 ride.
    sro99 likes this.
  11. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Figured I would start with the cvt. Cvt filter is a complete mess, more than half is caked solid with dirt. Cleaned it with soapy water and will reuse. Not looking forward to what I'm going to find inside...
    8 - Copy.jpg

Inside looks amazing! Clutch bell looks brand new! Not even a hint of blueing and has a date stamp of Mar. 5 2015 on it.
    9 - Copy.jpg

Clutch pads are also in new condition!
    10 - Copy.jpg

Variator and rollers also look perfect with not even a hint of flat spots. Stock weight even. Belt looks good and measures 21.5mm. Put it all back together, nothing for me to do here! :clap
    11 - Copy.jpg
    kpinvt, CBRider, millican and 4 others like this.
  12. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    The tank didn't have that old disgusting smell of old gas so I added about 2 ounces of Seafoam to the 2 or 3 litres of gas that was in the bike before my 7km ride. Then I added 5 litres of ethanol free premium from a jerry can when I got back. Glad I don't have to deal with that!

The rear tire is a Heidenau K80 SR made in June 2016 and has lots of tread. The front is a Pirelli Diablo made in April 2015 and also lots of tread. Actually they both still have the little nipples on them. :clap

Thankfully no black widow spiders here! One good thing about winter.:D

I'm wondering what the number 1 ride will be also! :-)
    CaptnJim and The Virginian like this.
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    As one who's done a bunch of auto body work I really doubt the left side dent will pull, rt side might though. Given the scratches & left side dent it's not a paintless repair. It's tough space wise inside the engine area to push out dents but you could take a look, that is if you have interest in the body repair thing? The Vespa mufflers clean up nicely using black heat paint.
    Given you seem to do some wrenching, become familiar with the exhaust gasket thing for the 250's & 300 Vespas. The gaskets are much cheaper on the web than the unobtanium dealers charge! The exhaust gets pulled to change out rear tires so you probably have no need at this time other than if the rusty look bothers you.
    Kind of looks like a great scooter that got beaten around a bit after a first owner sold it to the person who let the filter get so dirty, etc..
    We see "rat bikes" but not "rat scooters" so much, ride it like it is works for me.
    Were it mine and given I do that sort of work, this winter would see it nice and shiny again with much added value as well. Paying to have it done, maybe not so logical.
    sro99 likes this.
  14. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you try the HF dent puller don't try to pull it in the middle, work from the outside in a little at a time. I spent a couple hours on the motorcycle gas tank but when finished one of the dents was imperceptible, the other was almost as good and the paint wasn't damaged. The dents were both on the side of the tank, fairly deep and one was at a ridge in the tank where side meets top. The hot gun glue will lose its hold and pop as it breaks free, just keep at it. At least that was my experience. I think your bike looks great but if you give it a try post up how it went.
    sro99 likes this.
  15. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Dent and scratches aren't a big concern at this time. Seller said he was quoted $350 to have the whole bike repainted. I'm glad he didn't do that. I would rather have the dent and scratches then a repaint and over spray everywhere!

That sounds like a good tip about working the dent from the outside a little at a time. I'll post some better pics of the body damage after I do the mechanicals.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I think you found a real gem of a scoot and I'm looking forward towards your progress on it's resurrection. You are doing all the right things right from the start and you will be rewarded with a nice running scoot for many years to come. Stay the course!

Eric
    sro99 likes this.
  17. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats, a running Vespa even with a dent is a bargain at what you paid. Some folks have pulled the body off and push out dents like that one f on the inside.
    sro99 likes this.
  18. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    The more I hang out with it the more I'm lovin' it. I think we are bonding. :lol3

Wanted to see how the rear brake pads look. So off with the exhaust and the rear wheel. Rear pads look brand new! There is no caliper slide pin to grease? Flushed about 500ml of fresh Dot4 fluid thru. Old fluid was very clean!
    12 - Copy.jpg

Seems like a good time to change the oil and filter without the exhaust in the way. Filter screen is spotless. New HiFlo 183 filter installed and 1200ml 10w40.
    14 - Copy.jpg
    15 - Copy.jpg
    16 - Copy.jpg

OK, so here's a question. This number on the back of the cvt housing that can be seen after you remove the rear wheel. Does this have any meaning? Thought it might match the vin but it doesn't. Pic rotated 180 degrees for readability.
    13 - Copy.jpg

Decided to paint the exhaust since it's off the bike. Wire wheeled the rust off, hit it with some brake cleaner and then black high temp engine enamel. This might have been a mistake but wanted to hopefully slow down the rust. Exhaust gasket looks good enough to reuse. Pic tomorrow of the exhaust installed.
    kpinvt, The Virginian and Fiftygrit like this.
  19. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like someone has already done most of the maintenance for you. You really lucked out on that one. Nice to see more Vespas showing up. As was said, they can be a great bargain after they are a few years old and have a few scratches. It is hard not to love a Vespa. I have had a lot of Asian scooters, but the only one I ever developed an emotional attachment to is the Vespa.

bdonley I absolutely love that Vespa in your picture.
    sro99 and The Virginian like this.
  20. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    I was looking for a few months but most of the nice looking 250's around here go for about 3500-$4000. Too expensive for my budget for a 10 year old bike. Got lucky to find this one for $1800 and most of the consumables were recently replaced.

I was happy to see the tires weren't 10 years old and bald. After I put a volt meter on the battery to verify the charging system was working when running I was sold. The last thing I asked was to see the ownership before I gave him the money. I wanted to see if it had a salvaged title. It didn't but it said the colour was black. I thought the bike was Midnight Blue with the thick layer of grime on it and in his dark garage.

Checked out the front pads, greased the slide pins and flushed 300ml of fresh Dot4 thru. When i jacked it up to take the front wheel off the front wheel goes full lock to the left. Is this a normal Vespa thing because of the one sided suspension or is it a sign that the head bearings are too loose?

Front pads look almost new!
    19 - Copy.jpg

Pic of the freshly painted muffler and the right side scratches.
    17 - Copy.jpg
    kpinvt and The Virginian like this.