Drug home my first Vespa! Lots o' pics

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sro99, Aug 6, 2019.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ATF has a copious amount of detergents in the oil.

I've had cars come in to the shop, horrible maintenance, stuck variable valve time units due to crud build up, and ill run a quart of ATF thru with the oil for about 500 miles and the shit that comes out in the drain oil is amazing. it'll get into little areas and bust stuff loose. now, this is not always a good thing. but it cleans like a son of a bitch.
    sro99 likes this.
  2. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Wow! Good info!
  3. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Woo-hoo! Parts arrived today! But it's not a happy day. Base gasket is ripped. Metal head gasket and base gasket were in the same bag which might of caused the damage. Should I use it or wait for a new one?

101.jpg
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woohoo :clap and dang.... :becca

Two schools of thought here, either use it and spooge some gasket maker stuff on the ripped part or order a new one and make it perfect. I think you'll be fine either way.
    villageidiot, beRto. and sro99 like this.
  5. beRto.

beRto. -----

Oddometer:
    Ouch, that stinks. But I think you really need to wait for a replacement - don't want to do this twice!
    CaptnJim, sro99 and The Virginian like this.
  6. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably the best advise you'll get.
    sro99 likes this.
  7. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    I have some Permatex Ultra Black. :hmmmmm
  8. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’d use ultra grey “rigid high torque” and just put a smear on that spot, but that’s me.
    sro99 and The Virginian like this.
  9. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    I would wait and get a new one. Even if I could make it work with permatex, I would always be wondering if it’s going to fail.
    sro99, The Virginian and Wentwest like this.
  10. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Called Lou at Vespa Toronto West... No cylinder base gaskets in stock for the 250. For the 300 he does... My tube of Ultra Grey is hard like a rock... I can't wait 2 more weeks for a gasket to arrive from the States... By then I might forget how to put this thing back together... :y0!

To be continued..... :D :y0!
    The Virginian likes this.
  11. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    You can cut one yourself from thin gasket paper, which you can usually buy at a car parts store if you ask for it. You an also search around your house for paper, maybe a file folder? Carefully trace the old one then snip the new one with a sharp nail scissors. I have a hole puncher for paper that makes a hole that's too small for bolt holes, but it gives me a clear place to start with the small curved nail scissor.
    sro99 likes this.
  12. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Went and bought a whole tube of Ultra Grey and used this much. :lol3
    104.jpg

Top end is all back together. New piston and rings and wrist pin and C-clips. 4 new stud o-rings. New exhaust studs and copper gasket. Installed the cam chain tensioner and turned the motor over by hand a few times and it looks like cam timing is good. Set the valves and put the cover on.

On to the water pump rebuid... Pressed the 2 new bearings and the slotted end piece on the new shaft using a vise. Heated the water pump housing with a propane torch and tapped the new shaft and bearings into the housing with a socket. Tapped a new outside seal in with a 1" socket. Pressed the rubber seal in with some grease and my fingers with the spring side facing me.

Things were going well, until now! You have to hold the slotted end of the shaft so you can tighten the impeller on the other side. It's reverse thread by the way. Can't tighten the impeller because the pressed on slotted piece is turning on the shaft! With a lot of force I pulled the slotted piece off with my fingers. Not a very tight fit.

Tapped the bearings and shaft out of the housing. Guess I'm going to use the old bearings and shaft and use new seals. Both of the old bearings turn smooth.

New left, old right.
    105.jpg

Started looking at the other pieces that came with this water pump rebuid kit. Old impeller has Piaggio symbol on the back, new one has nothing. Brass nut is taller on new one. Maybe I'll use the new impeller?

New left, old right.
    106.jpg

107.jpg

To be continued. :D
    The Virginian likes this.
  13. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Have to reuse the old water pump shaft and bearings, new one is junk. Pressed it into the housing, again. Pressed both new seals in, again. Installed the housing and the cover and put a litre of oil in it.

Had to install the swingarm bracket and axel nut and the muffler so I could find the proper angle for the header pipe. With the header pipe loosely fitted I tightened the muffler in place. Shimmied the header around a little and tightened the two copper exhaust stud nuts.

With the muffler, swingarm and wheel on I slid the motor under the bike. Hooked up the starter cables, intake manifold, spark plug wire and other electrical connectors. Turned the key to the run position and shouted "fire in the hole!" and hit the starter button.... to be continued...:D ... (didn't you hate those episodes when you were a kid? I can't wait a week to see the outcome of the episode! Mom!) :lol3

Pic of the weep hole before I installed the outside seal of the water pump (coolant side).
    108.jpg

And now the conclusion of this episode.... She's alive! Oil light went out after 2 seconds and I let it idle for 20 seconds. Gave it a little throtle and the rpm went up. Shut it off after 40 seconds because there is no coolant in it. Seems to run smooth, I think the cam timing is good.

Unhooked all the connections and slid the motor out and took the muffler and swingarm off. Reasemble tomorrow. Today, victory is mine!

to be continued...
    CaptnJim, DandyDoug, DandM and 6 others like this.
  14. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I surprise myself when it seems like I might actually know what I'm doing.

Congratulations!! The first time the engine fires is a very nervous moment, and really fun.
    The Virginian and sro99 like this.
  15. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Yes nervous is a very good description! Will the valves hit the piston is probably the worst thought. But yelling she's alive relieves that nervousness.

Dr. Frankenstein must have been very excited when his creation worked.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! I know exactly how you feel when you hit that starter button and brace for impact. Well done!
    sro99 likes this.
  17. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    In my best Sinéad O'Connor voice I sing... "It's been 7 hours and 25 days... since you took your love away...I go out every night and sleep all day... since you took your love away..." :lol3

Noa is back up and running! New piston and rings and water pump seals. New exhaust studs and nuts and copper gasket and bushing. Fresh coolant and oil and some 10 gram Dr Pulley sliders. Idle is smooth and quiet.

7C and light rain wasn't going to stop me from taking it for a ride around the neighborhood today. Rode around for about 90 minutes varying my speeds and rpm. Went to the hilly part of town and did some closed throttle engine braking down the hills. Will take it easy for a few tankfuls to let the new rings seat properly before I see what the 10 gram Dr Pulley sliders can do. Checked for leaks after I got home and everything was dry.

Was putting the screen and mirrors on before the ride and I guess I was a little too excited. Ended up snapping the threads of the left mirror off in the handlebar. :doh

Blurry, rainy pic from today. Was warm and dry after the ride with the grip heaters and windscreen installed.

111.jpg

:ricky:ricky:ricky
    CaptnJim, Wentwest, =retread= and 5 others like this.
  18. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! Safe travels!
    sro99 likes this.
  19. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Started out the ride today in a light rain but soon turned into a downpour for about 15 minutes. Large pools of water formed because the storm drains are partially blocked from fallen leaves. Saw a pedestrian get completely soaked from the wake of the car in front of me. Heard him yelling and swearing. Poor guy.

Rain soaked thru my rain pants after an hour so I headed home. Noa is running smooth and quiet. She's slowly smelling better too so I think I fixed her oil burning problem. Cylinder base gasket and water pump gasket look dry and no weeping from the water pump hole. So far my repairs have been a success!
  20. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's really good news! I'm super glad you got Noa straitened out. I hope you get some really nice rides in before the weather turns out your way.
    sro99 likes this.