1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Drug home my first Vespa! Lots o' pics

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sro99, Aug 6, 2019.

1. ErikDK

ErikDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't give a certain rodent's rectum about the odometer, but the speedometer has to be accurate when we ride where the speed limit is too low and the fines are huge. I prefer to ride just under the actually enforced speed limit, or if over that, right to the edge of a speeding ticket bracket. If the ticket is the same for going 102 or 112, I damned well want to be going 112 kph to get my money's worth.
    The Virginian and sro99 like this.
  2. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If accurate speedo is super important to you went not run either a GPS or phone app that tells you actual speed. Many EU masses vehicles have so speeds that read high. My BMW car did and I was told it was because Germany fines the manufacturer if it reads even 1 kph low so they then to be cautious and read 2-5kpm high. Mine was 3-5kpm high.
    sro99 likes this.
  3. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Getting stopped for speeding is very rare around here. 16kph and over the limit is when you start to get points on your license so almost everyone does 12-15kph over the limit. The fine for 15kph over is about $50. None of this applies in a school zone, fines are double and 10kph over is not tolerated.
    The Virginian likes this.
  4. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Gave Noa a real sponge bath and a microfiber buff and dry yesterday. Quiet a difference from just her winter time hose downs or the coin-op pressure washer hose downs.

Today I added some rust proofing to her underside. Sprayed some Rust Cure 3000 into and old container and applied with a broken paint brush. Will pull the battery tomorrow and do the same on the inside. Nice thick, clear stuff. Very similar to Fluid Film but its clear and odourless and only $6 when on sale.

The tools...
    182.jpg

The product...
    180.jpg

The application...
    181.jpg

She deserves it after taking me down roads like these.
    157.jpg

167.jpg
  5. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great post and very informative! Thanks for sharing.
    Rusty J and sro99 like this.
  6. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Bought Noa a used genuine Vespa large windshield. It's huge! Plan is to cut it down. Riding around with painters tape at 16.5, 17 and 18 inch mark. It's so peaceful at full height but it's impossible to see over it. Maybe I'll get used to "looking at the world through a windshield."

Does this make me look old? :lol3
    186.jpg

Riders perspective. Think I like the 16.5" mark.
    187.jpg

Del Reeves-Looking At The World Through A Windshield
    The Virginian and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  7. Steve_h

Steve_h Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are supposed to look through a windshield. It's a wind deflector otherwise.
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  8. rdhood

rdhood Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I prefer it in "wind deflector" mode. I like to be able to see a significant amount of road OVER the windshield. But it should deflect the air completely over my helmet (no buffeting or helmet wind noise).
  9. cdwise

Oddometer:
    The large aka winter or shower door windshield is huge and is used all over Europe on commuting scooters.
  10. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Noise bothers me with most wind shields. If it is quiet and works well, it really looks OK in your pictures.

Art
  11. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I had the shower door on my Scarabeo 500 and it was as quiet as being in a car. Pain if you live in an area where you get a lot of condensation. Rain isn’t too bad but when I came out at night and there was condensation it kept reforming on the windshield for the next 20 minutes.
  12. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    The shield on the BV500 I'm riding these days has a top edge that seems like it cuts right through where I want to look at the road, unless I sit up very straight. I'm starting to be tired of it and may just take it off.

Maybe windshields are great for riding long distances and long hours, but for me riding around shorter distances and also a lot on local streets it feels like more trouble than it's worth. At speed the way it wiggles the bars and reacts to wind gusts is very strange. Again, for longer distance riders and people who commute in wet, sure it makes sense.
  13. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    It's quiet and works very well and like cdwise said, its like being in a car. Once i cut it down there's no going back. I hope i don't ruin a good thing.

I took off the medium Faco screen and rode Noa to buy the large and installed it on the street in front of the sellers house. The ride there with no screen was strange. Bike felt small. Riding at 65mph was loud from wind noise and sitting upright in the wind was fatiguing. Think I'm a screen snob now. I thought i might go screen-less for the summer but i don't think that will happen now.

My Faco medium with clip on extension that i could transfer to the large after i cut it down.
    114.jpg
  14. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Vespa brand screen is really expensive.

Art
  15. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Since most of my sons riding is commuting he prefers to take the stock windshield off the BV350 if I were riding it regularly I'd have replaced it with a Givi by now.

I find riding over 60-65 without a screen too fatiguing
    Rusty J and Wentwest like this.
  16. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I agree with you, but you are a distance rider and I'm a local rider. Different jobs, different tools.
  17. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    You got that right! New it cost $400cad. Bought it used for $100cad which is about $8usd.:photog
  18. Rusty J

Rusty J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. Picked up a Husky Svartpilen 401 a year ago, and it's the first bike I've owned that lacked a windscreen but could go faster than 65 MPH*. It'll do somewhere over 80 GPS MPH but honestly it's too much like work at those speeds. Bike can do it just fine -- stable, power in reserve, all that. It just gets old fast.

*All of my motorcycles and big scooters had fairings, the Vespa was a 150 that wasn't going to hit 65 without a flyscreen (and other minor aero mods). The Svart is nekkid and likes it that way.
  19. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Winter is fast approaching what do you have scheduled for Noa? How's she been treating you this summer!? :ear

Eric
  20. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    She's been running perfect. Sure is nice not having to check and top up the oil every 800km. New piston and rings might be the best thing I've bought her.:1drink

One last thing to install before winter is the bar muffs. Heated grips are hooked up. Large Vespa screen is on. New K58's front and rear. Pigtail to plug in my jacket if needed. Ready to grab some winter tags. :ricky ....and run some errands:D

221.jpg
    CaptnJim, Rusty J, Wentwest and 4 others like this.