1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Drug home my first Vespa! Lots o' pics

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sro99, Aug 6, 2019.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you got it licensed and tagged yet?
  2. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Not yet. I'll bring it for a safety next week.
    The Virginian likes this.
  3. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I had a '07 for ten years. They're great scoots. Normal to have the steering to go full lock with the front wheel off. If you do to pretty it up lots of people just do the side panels two tone- http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic8001
    The Virginian and sro99 like this.
  4. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Paddylamb's two tone from MV looks great!
    [​IMG]
  5. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Let's see how the rads and collant hoses look. All hose clamps look to be factory except for one at the top left of the pic is a worm drive clamp. Hoses look and feel good for 10 years old.
    21 - Copy.jpg

Ph of the coolant is over 7.5 so I'm not changing it.
    20 - Copy.jpg

Pulled the battery to see if someone was nice enough to put a date on it. No such luck... But look a clue! A sticker from vespatorontowest.com! I emailed them the VIN and asked if they had any service history. They responded with a Yes! A major service was done at 13,585km in 2017! Bike now has 18,100.
    23 - Copy.jpg

Under the battery tray was not pretty. Hit it with some sandpaper, hosed it down with some brake cleaner and then a thick layer of Fluid Film to slow down the rust. This would be a very good place to look if you're buying a used Vespa!
    22 - Copy.jpg

Pulled the spark plug, cleaned it and set the gap to .8mm and reinstalled it.
    24 - Copy.jpg

Think I'm almost done tinkering with this thing. Wiil take it for a safety Monday or Tuesday so I can get to riding this beauty! :ricky

6. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    This is a really good tutorial on straitening out a used Vespa, well done S.Ro.
    sro99 likes this.
  7. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The plan was to tear it all apart so I could order everything it needed in one shipment. I got lucky that it didn't need anything. I'm in for $20 for oil and filter, $14 for the high temp enamel, $7 for a can of brake cleaner and $10 for brake fluid. I'm happy and lucky. :-)

It could use a new cvt filter, a new spark plug and some of the fasteners could be replaced but it should be alright for now. Just gotta run some fresh fuel through her and see what else it might need. :ricky Speaking of which, is there a changeable fuel filter?
    CaptnJim, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  8. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    The numbers on the inner side of the drive case are probably Piaggio part numbers. They seem to brand pretty much everything like that. My BV250 does have a fuel filter on the right side under the floorboard, but I have no clue where it is on a Vespa. The engines are very similar so there's probably a filter somewhere.

Since you are being very lucky with the parts all being good, maybe you'll end up making a deal with a local body shop to do the fenders. The rest of it is coming back so well.
    sro99 likes this.
  9. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    The front jumps to full lock when jacking the front wheel off the ground on all three on mine.
    sro99 likes this.
  10. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    The cause of that rust probably came through the hole in the bottom. Mine was completely clean. I think it spent its entire life in AZ, and only had 1800 miles on it. Definitely was garage kept, paint and plastic and seat were like brand new. I would have used phosphoric acid (toilet bowl cleaner, Lime Away, or CLR) to remove rust.
    sro99 likes this.
  11. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    The hole in the bottom alignes with the drain hole in the battery tray (removed for pic). If water does get in there (because the back part is open) it would be blocked from draining by the battery tray protrusion. I did a quick fix so I can get this thing back together for its safety hopefully tomorrow! I need to ride this thing, enough of this tinkering for now. :ricky
  12. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Didn't find a fuel filter. I'm guessing its in the tank and attached to the pump like most efi bikes.
    25 - Copy.jpg
  13. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remove the piece of plastic trim below the cowl on the right side. The vacuum petcock is under there, and there may also be a fuel filter. I would replace that petcock just for piece of mind. Ethanol gas tends to melt the diaphragm in them over time. I got stranded beside the road because mine failed. The GT200 does not have a pump, it is gravity fed. Some people call the vacuum petcock a pump, because you have to apply vacuum to it to get gas to flow through it. But it is just a vacuum controlled shut off valve.
    sro99 likes this.
  14. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    Its nice to see one resurrected and re-loved. Well done!
    sro99 likes this.
  15. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Mine is a GTS 250 with fuel injection and a fuel pump so no petcock. I'm lucky to have ethanol free premium around here. It's all I'll put in my Vespa. Was ethanol a thing in 2008 when this bike was made? Was it designed with ethanol in mind? :hmmmmm
  16. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    The only 93 octane fuel available around town is 10% ethanol.

I have been putting it in all of my Vespas (2005, 2006 and 2007 models) since without any issues, other than Rocket blowing out the fuel line while I was in Orlando many years ago.

It was before I started carrying tools and parts, but luckily it was at a big rally.

Orlando has a great scooter crowd and one of the participants had the part and fixed it.

Bill
    sro99 likes this.
  17. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Added some rear refectors and dropped her off for its safety today. I hope she passes!
    27 - Copy.jpg
    CBRider and The Virginian like this.
  18. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Bon chance!
    sro99 likes this.
  19. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You did a great job ! Enjoy it.
    sro99 likes this.
  20. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Just got the call! She didn't pass.:muutt:( :cry

He said "I can't get the bike to stop with the rear brake" This is probably my fault. Brake fluid must have gotten on the pads when I did the flush. Will hose them with brake cleaner and make sure I can lock up the rear before I bring it back to him.

The other thing that he mentioned was it doesn't have a side stand. wtf? He says his book mentions a properly working side stand. Says he has to look up DOT rules about centre stand only and get back to me.

I have 30 days to correct the problem after that it's $100 for another safety.

Went to pick her up and here she sits while I drink wine and look at her with disappointment. I thought she was better than this. :D :photog
    tmp-cam--844898974.jpg