Drug home my first Vespa! Lots o' pics

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sro99, Aug 6, 2019.

1. bmwcliff

bmwcliff Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    She is much better than this, did you mention to the bureaucrat inspector your plans for his mother?
  2. tbonestone

tbonestone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the side stand was an accessory back then. The manual might mention, but not factory installed. I'm going off some fuzzy memories of a scooter lot back I worked at.
    CaptnJim, The Virginian and sro99 like this.
  3. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Side stands were not stock on Vespas in the US until 2018 in fact the older style has a tendency toollapse at the lightest touch, vibration from passing traffic or even a gust of wind. Center stand or side stand is a DOT requirement. I've never heard that a side stand was mandatory in any state.
    CaptnJim, The Virginian and sro99 like this.
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll get on top of this and holy cow $100 bones for an inspection? Yikes!
    sro99 likes this.
  5. =retread=

=retread= more MPG

Oddometer:
    super deal, bike looks great as is. drive it like you stole it - someone else already has.
    The Virginian and sro99 like this.
  6. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    I told him the side stand was an option from the factory but because there is no cut-off switch Piaggio made a spring loaded side stand so you can't ride away with it down. Also told him of stories when the wind takes the pressure off the side stand and it automatically retracts and the scooter falls over.

Will tell him side stands were not stock until 2018, thanks cdwise!

Thankfully inspections are only done when a motorcycle changes hands and not annually!

That's the plan retread! Mechanicals first, looks third!
    CaptnJim and The Virginian like this.
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, the side stands that appeared as stock since 2018 are the locking kind with a kill switch. You can't retro fit them easily because the older scooters don't have the wiring needed for the kill switch.
    sro99 likes this.
  8. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put the stand on and remember to retract the sidestand before riding off.
    sro99 likes this.
  9. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Passed the safety today with no side stand needed. Got my license plate and sticker from the DMV.

Did a GPS top speed run of 112kph (70mph) and 111kph in the opposite direction. Speedometer said 122kph (76mph) but couldn't see the tachometer because that's where the GPS was suctioned on. Will have to check that the next time I'm doing 122kph.:D

Was a fun little project, now for some seat time.:ricky
    28 - Copy.jpg
  10. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great thread! Super happy for you. :ricky
    cdwise, Ride2Live/Live2Ride and sro99 like this.
  11. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Think I got lucky finding this one. Had to drive 2 hours to "cottage country" and 2 hours home to get it.

Price breakdown for fun...
    Bike $1800
    Sales tax (13%) $234
    Gas for van $45
    Oil, filter, paint, brake fluid and cleaner $50
    Safety $100
    Plate and sticker $76
    Hours of my time. Priceless:D

Total $2305cad ($1743usd) plus $400 for 1 year of insurance.
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Time to ride!! Glad to hear it passed inspection - enjoy!
    The Virginian and sro99 like this.
  13. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Is that about what you get Jim, 75mph on the gauge?
  14. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I ran mine up to 70 on the GPS, the speedo was showing 77(ish), just to see if it would do it. There was more to be had, but I didn't run it past that.
    sro99 likes this.
  15. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful that it passed. We don't have inspections here. However, from 1977-2013, we DID have emissions inspections for bikes. We were the ONLY county in the entire U.S that did. Fortunately that foolishness is now over. I had a number of older bikes fail that.

Mine has a sidestand, I found out shortly after buying it that it was an accessory. I couldn't believe Piaggio would use such a stupid design. Mine is broken, the thing that sticks out so you can deploy it with your foot is broken off. If possible I might replace it with a late model. I have always removed those "nanny" switches anyway, so wouldn't need the wiring. A sidestand should never be used on a CVT scooter while the engine is running, because there is no neutral. If the idle increased a slight amount, it could move forward and off the sidestand.

A used scooter, especially a Vespa, can be a huge amount of fun for the money. But $400 for one year of insurance is absolutely crazy. I pay $36 a year for liability only insurance on mine. I do have 5 other bikes insured with that company, but it is only about $250 a year for all 6.

We don't pay sales tax on private sales of vehicles in AZ. They tried that about 30 years ago, and the people (voters) were in such an uproar, having protests in front of the state capitol, and falsifying what they actually sold the vehicle for because of non existent mechanical issues and such that it scared the politicians into dropping it or losing the next election.

The only place we get scammed on used bikes here is the $32 per vehicle they added last year, for "improved highway safety" meaning hiring more cops to write more tickets. So my registration would be $20 on the Vespa, but it is now $52. Nobody even knew the politicians passed this till we all got a letter in the mail. The governor, who is up for reelection, promised to drop it next year. I have 11 vehicles to pay that on.
    sro99 likes this.
  16. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    @JerryH I think it's swell that you don't have to pay sales tax on private sales, and that you pay so little for insurance. You registration fees are about 40% of what I pay, but on the flip side you never stop telling us what a Hell on Earth it is where you live. Really, registration and insurance could be free and even then I wouldn't want to live in a place that made me miserable. @sro99 seems content with his home area, so he pays what he pays. To me, he scored a good deal and I'm happy to have someone else join in the fun of rescuing great but abused machines.
  17. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Got some seat time today. :ricky

Just over 3 hours and 4 stops (moms mailbox, watch a boat launch into Lake Scugog and 2 photo ops). Some quiet country back roads, some gravel and loose sand roads and some 2 lane highways posted 80kph that traffic does 90-95kph on. Bike runs excellent! Smooth and quiet with no problem keeping up with the pace of traffic and handles wind blasts from approaching tractor-trailers only 5 feet away wonderfully!

I reset the GPS trip meter and got the same top speed as yesterday (112kph) but there is a major discrepancy between GPS and bike odometer. GPS shows 159km and bike 109.5km. Will have to try this again one day. 29 - Copy.jpg

You don't have to tell me I'm getting ripped off for insurance. That's normal price around here for everyone and I have a clean driving record. Ask Super Sport riders what the pay around here and I'd bet it's $1000 for a year. Here's some numbers that will make your head pop off. :kboom 2013 van $950, 2015 Forza $500, house $1000. So, $3000 a year, year after year for 50 years for 3 vehicles and a house. :ace That's why I should only have 1 bike on the road, but f'ck it, it's only money.

Photo op...
    30 - Copy.jpg
  18. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take it that you don't really have the opportunity to shop for insurance and just have to pay it?
    sro99 likes this.
  19. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    In British Columbia they have provincial auto insurance run by the government so no shopping around. Here in Ontario they are privately run so you can shop around. 2 places wanted $630 for the Vespa and the 3rd was $417.
  20. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you got a good one! Ride that thing and enjoy it.
    sro99 likes this.