Drug home my first Vespa! Lots o' pics

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sro99, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No idea if they provide a min/max or if they just provide the single spec, but I don’t think i’d Worry about it too much!
    sro99 likes this.
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    The difference is 5 thousands of an inch too loose. That's not much. More engine damage possible if they are .005 too tight. Old engines get tighter clearances as they wear, so I'd say you are doing fine.
    sro99 likes this.
  3. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know how much out of spec your motor is exactly , but all my air head BMW's made a bit of valve noise , even when spec.
    A little valve noise is not a bad thing.
    Speedtrap and sro99 like this.
  4. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I was surprised how loose they were. I went in thinking they were never adjusted and expected them to be tight. Today I set the intakes to .004" and exhausts to .006" and put the cover back on. I wonder if it will pull any better now at 6500rpm? Better fuel economy?
  5. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt you’ll notice much difference, but if you do notice any difference it will likely be at higher rpm due to the increased duration from reduced clearance.
    sro99 likes this.
  6. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    8958EE65-A14F-43E8-9F71-FFD2FD13E1F8.jpeg My 07 GTS has the same hesitation when starting and like you said, more so when hot. When I replaced my battery I went with a slightly larger one that also fits my TL1000S and it does the same thing, so I no longer worry about it.
    I’ve read your thread with interest because mine has similar mileage. I’ve replace the belt and weights as well as tires, and when I did, I painted the wheels black including the final dive. I installed a power port in the glove box and some bar end mirrors and took the reflectors off. I recently installed a Cheakyseats seat cover because I hated the tan seat.
    My GTS isn’t as fast as yours and I’ve never been able to figure out why it’s not as fast as what most people say. It hits 68mph on GPS. Maybe I should kick a dent I the side?
    They are wonderful machines. I have a lot of nice bikes but it’s one of my favs. I do have a tall Vespa brand windscreen kicking around as well as a black Vespa top box.

Next mission is to remove the starter and check the brushes and look for corrosion on the connectors. More than once it has had a hesitation that scares me when miles from home or in the bush. Push the button and it'll turn about one revolution then stop for half a second and then continue cranking. Only seems to do it when the engine is hot. Any thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]
    Speedtrap and sro99 like this.
  7. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Jimo368! Yours looks brand new! Looks super slick with the changes you made and that seat cover looks perfect. Do not kick a couple dents on one side and put some scratches on the other. :lol3 Putting the screen on mine helped me hit 80 on the gauge and I still had a little throttle left. Before the screen I hit 76 WFO (70gps) so about the same as yours. Did you try a top speed run with your screen on? You using ethanol free premium?

It's good to hear that your starter has the same hesitation. First couple of times it did it was scary (unknown bike with unknown history). I thought about swapping batteries with the Forza to see if the problem would still occur. Also thought about getting the Vespa battery load tested. Took the starter apart today and the brushes and bearings and cables looked really good. Rotated the gear in the motor and couldn't see any warp or any teeth damaged. I think I can stop looking for the problem and I'll just learn to live with it. Will be interesting to see if it still does it in the winter.
  8. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Top speed is the same with the windscreen and after I installed new tires as well as adjusted the valves, which only two were slightly out. My rear disc has several thou run-out, so next time I have the rear tire off I’ll have a better look. Speaking of which, I seen a post somewhere that a Yamaha gasket will fit in the exhaust. I haven’t tried it yet but here it is.
    I considered heated grips but just use the battery charger dongle to run my heated vest and gloves, which works better than the grips.
    In the hole left behind by the mirrors I replaced, I installed a ram mount for the few times in want to see my phone.
    I’ve tried all kinds of different gas, but no difference.

Attached Files:

sro99 likes this.
  9. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Good tip about the Yamaha gasket, thank you. Hit 143kph (88.8mph:kboom:lol3) on the gauge today tucked behind the screen and drafting an SUV and the rev limiter definitely came on. Sitting upright and climbing a long grade I can maintain 130kph WFO (80) without drafting anybody. Valve adjustment made it idle quieter but I think that's about it. Riding this thing like a loon for about 2 hours today is way more fun than Forza. Definitely bigger smiles on Noa. :ricky

65.jpg
    Rusty J, cdwise, CaptnJim and 4 others like this.
  10. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Aw man, I just sold the Forza. I'm gonna miss that thing.:cry

Guy showed up on 1000cc Ducati cafe racer with clip on bars and all hunched over. He bought it new 10 years ago and put 50,000kms on it. Said he'd ridden his friends 2014 Forza and had to buy one for himself. Super cool guy so I let him take the Forza for a spin around the block. When he came back I offered him the Vespa for a spin. When he came back I could hear him chuckling under his helmet. Maybe a Vespa will be in his future? Said he felt like he should be wearing a tuxedo while riding the Vespa. :lol3

Forza is his first scooter and he said he could see the Ducati collecting dust from now on. I guess he's getting to old to be all hunched over. Good luck with the Forza fellow scooter rider. :clap
  11. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well... I'm shocked as you loved the Forza. I guess the Vespa stole your heart? I'm happy you have found something that you enjoy in the sport even better.

Eric
    Rusty J and sro99 like this.
  12. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    I really should only have one bike. I can fit two bikes in my shed but can only get the one out that was last put in. I have to do the bike shuffle if i want to get the other one out. I like to buy a new bike before I sell the old one to hopefully avoid sellers remorse.:D And than there is the insurance. Paying $500 for one bike and another $400 for another is just to painful.

I wanted to go a little lighter in weight to make it easier going in and out of the shed and was willing to sacrifice a little bit of performance for the weight advantage. Vespa does 120kph GPS (perfect speed around here) and weighs 350 pounds. Forza does 130kph but weighs 430 pounds. I don't need to do 130 anyway.

I'm going to miss the awesome wind protection of the Forza in the winter but the Vespa is a great do it all bike. It's smaller, lighter and it's more fun to ride and yes I love it. It's exactly what I was looking for.
    66 - Copy.jpg
  13. Rusty J

Rusty J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vespas have a knack for doing that.
  14. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Try doing your speed checks with a GPS or even a cell phone with the appropriate app. The speedo on my Piaggio is so far off it's really only decoration.
    Rusty J and sro99 like this.
  15. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right on S.Ro! :rayof
    sro99 likes this.
  16. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    I did a GPS check when I first got it. Gauge said 122kph and GPS said 112.

Found an old crappy pic from 2015 with 2 bikes in the shed. Did the same thing then, bought a new one before selling the old one.
    photo 5-8.JPG
    Rusty J, CaptnJim and The Virginian like this.
  17. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Speedometer cable broke yesterday, so today I went into the belly of the beast. Downtown Toronto! With a population of about 2.8 million there are 2 rush hours a day 6:30-10am and 3-6:30pm. I left the house at 11am to make the 70km ride to Vespa Toronto West and arrived at 12:30pm.

Across the 401 at 115kph (GPS) and down Bayview Avenue.
    67.JPG

Hung out with Lou (the owner) for 30 minutes and talked about my Vespa. He asked if the fuel pump recall was ever done because this is the last year to get it done. Piaggio recalls are good for 10 years and Noa is a 2009. Typed in my vin and said it was already done. I asked him if he has ever seen an odometer that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Said he's never heard of that problem and I should ask the question on Modern Vespa (great suggestion!). Hopefully the new speedometer cable will fix it. Grabbed a front left reflector, 250ml of synthetic gear oil and a final drive crush washer also. All parts in stock! Good luck doing that for a Honda Forza.

Finding a parking spot is so easy and bikes park for free in Toronto! Grocery bag hook is very useful and a bag doesn't even get in your way when riding. Took the windshield off before I left because it was 25c today! A fun ride into the belly of the beast! Would have been torture in a cage!
    68.jpg

The route home. 110kph across the 401. Was home at 3pm before the afternoon rush!
    69.JPG
  18. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Diggin it.

Sounds like you need a bigger shed door.
    The Virginian, Rusty J and sro99 like this.
  19. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    And a bigger shed around that bigger door.:D
  20. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Stopped at Tavora Foods a Portuguese grocer on my way out of town for 16 fresh Alheira sasauges. Had 2 ice packs in the backpack. I'll squirrel them away in the freezer and and eat them slowly over the winter. Yum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alheira
    [​IMG]