drum brakes, getting the drum off?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WIsixfitty, Jul 24, 2011.

1. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    my daughters 02 taurus rear drums are in need of some attention.

what's the trick to getting the drums off when pads have worn in a bit and not letting them slide off.

drums are loose just being held up by the pads.

I tried cracking the bleeder w/o much success.

:ear
  2. cobrags

cobrags Lost ADVR

Oddometer:
    Keep twisting drum back and forth and tapping with hammer/rubber mallet. Good luck, it will come with some elbow grease.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    There's a 1/4 in bead of rust and the pads are worn in the small channel that the pads wear on the drums. hitting the front of the drum (near the studs) usually works. don't hit the drum on the sides. I sometimes use my 2 1/2ft long scredriver to pry the drums over the pads. If you do this be careful not to damage any internal brake parts or the backing plate.
  4. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can't get to the adjusters to back the brakes off? You may have to use a hammer and punch to knock a metal plug out first, if they've never been touched.
  5. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    she bought the car used a year or so ago so I would assume they are original.

Adjuster, plug? On the back side?

I admit I am a drum brake n00b. Just never worked on this old tech and I'm no spring chicken either. :1drink
  6. Bump Stop

Bump Stop 2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer:
    cracking the bleeder won't do any good, at rest the wheel cylinders should be pretty much retracted if you have the drums lose on the hub you should be able to pry them off, it might not be easy but the will come off.
  7. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    God I hate drum brakes. Like someone said, back off the adjuster or you might be able to use some kind of puller to wrench it free.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Yeah, on the backing plate below the "axle" center line there are a couple of stamped ovals, take a punch and hammer, knock them into the drum, through one hole you use a screwdriver to hold back the tab, through the other hole you turn the star wheel to back off the brakes.
  9. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    well it looks like a prybar will be my plan.

agreed, drum brakes suck donkey balls. :puke1
  10. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    thanks. I'll take a look see tomorrow.

Gonna chill now with a beer and get ready for that bike race out on the west coast.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Don't bend the backing plate if you're going to try the pry bar, brake problems forever is what you'll get if you do.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, the race...off to see if I get it on the TV. Somebody pick up my bike, will ya?

[​IMG]
  13. Bump Stop

Bump Stop 2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer:
    I don't mind working on drum brakes, they are actually pretty simple. I would almost rather do drums than rear disks with the parking brake built into the caliper.
  14. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    I'd strongly suggest darn near never to try and pry the drum off without retracting the shoes first or there is a possibility that you will be very very sorry if you get it stuck there and then damage the drum trying to hammer it back home as it can then be impossible to get the adjuster to release.

You need to back the adjuster off, otherwise you are trying to pound a 9.1" peg through an 8.92" hole and something will have to give.

Google up "taurus brake shoe replacement" or something similar. Here is a link that came up at the top of the page but go ahead and look up your own:

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/15sh2-ford-taurus-2003-removal-rear-brake-shoes.html

Good luck, as long as the adjuster turns easily it is not too difficult of a job.
  15. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    After you get the drums off, if you don't get them turned, take a grinder and remove the unworn ridge all the way around the edge of the wear surface.

Well designed drum brakes allow the linings to reach the edge, so no ridge is created.
  16. Quickv4

Quickv4 Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer:
    Dickinson, Nort' Dakohtah- Orig. from Wiscowsin
    Get a nice big honking hammer and wail on the thing on all different angles. If you smack the bottom, pull with your hand at the top. Smacking the rotor will knock some of the edge off of the drum. I have never broken a rotor by wialing on it, just dont hit the studs!!!!
  17. Jamming

Jamming Desert RAT

Oddometer:
    That's funny..my Son had the same year and I had the same problem. Fortunately it wasn't my first set of drum brakes. I backed the adjuster off and it still wouldn't budge. I got out my 2 lb dead blow soft face hammer, put in my ear plugs..do it, you can thank me later..... I zapped it at 12, 6, 3 and 9 O'clock on the outside of the drum. It popped right off.

BTW...replace the wheel cylinder...don't rebuild...they were cheap and I did grind the ridge off as I didn't turn the drum...they were fine and miked out fine.
  18. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

I mainly wanted to get the drum off to see if was still in spec and then go buy the parts needed.

good info.
  19. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    If all else fails, cut the "Nails" holding the shoes in place. There should be 2 of them, you can see the heads from the backside of the mounting plate. A cold chisel usually takes care of that quick, then a pull on the drum and everything will/should fall off.

Be thankful you are not dealing with a Willys or some other vehicles from the 40's which had a drum set on a tapered axle.:eek1
  20. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Oh good gawd, those are horrible...even with the right puller I couldn't believe how hard I had to hit it to get the hub to pop. :huh