DRZ one piece fixed fairing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Seth S, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    anyone know what this fairing came off of:

[​IMG]

I have seen it on a couple of DRZ's pictured in various rally events but don't know where its found...or if its just different shots of the same bike. Looks sort of like a yellow KTM640 fairing.
  2. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Looks very KTM'ish.
  3. keg0900

keg0900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    there is a french company i believe that makes that kit or something close. thats the bike i want to build to out of a drz400 and maybe run it in baja or the NRE. i will try and find the website from my other pc and post the link but its in french ?
  4. lastplace

lastplace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy
    The fairing is a KTM 640 adventure or replica. The tank is an aluminum one-off. We saw that bike in the Dakar. We sell a kit that mounts a KTM Rally tank (very similar to a 640 adventure tank) and the same fairing, on a KTM 525 or 450 RFS bike. With a little tweaking, I'd bet we can get something similar to work on your bike.

I haven't done a lot of research on DRZs, but check out Aqualine in Australia, and Acerbis to see if anyone offers a huge tank that is actually designed to fit. After that, the front fairing and subframe is simply a matter of welding or clamping on a piece to fit our production items in the right location.

Check out www.rallymanagementservices.com

fun fun
    Charlie
  5. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    i was thinking of running the Acerbis 4.25 gallon plastic tank up front with 2 rear tanks of 1 gallon to 1.5 gallons each. It seems most events require 200km + a 10% reserve for minimum fuel...which works out to be about 135 mile range. I know a stock DRZ400E gets about 38 - 40 mpg in the woods of New england...rocks and mud etc. I don't know what to plan for in sand...maybe 25 - 30. Thinking worse case at 25mpg (and getting lost etc) thats a little less then 6 gallons for the minimum requirements (I stress minimum). Anyone know how the drz E does in sand for range?

I have no plans to run Dakar in the near future but am considering Por Las Pampas for next year and am working out some training rides this fall...including the NRE.
  6. mikekay

mikekay toiling midget

Oddometer:
    I dont know--but my hunch is 25mpg in the dunes is overly optimistic. The cumulative effect of tire spin, resistance on the front wheel, carb vent spillage when it tips over, and high rev's for long periods of time are suprising...my Husky Rally bike gets about 12-15mpg in the sand. My XR650 Rally with an edelbrock carb gets about the same.

I dont know what milage a rally equiped DRz gets in the dunes, but its hard to imagine it would get over 20mpg.

Riding technique and your size/weight are also big factors--especially in the sand.

Try to go with plastic tank(s) up front if you can. Large aluminum front tanks are known to fail. You might have to get creative. IMS 7 gallon XR650 tank? Acerbis 6 gallon 650 tank? WR450 tank?

I modified the Mecca System dual front plastic tanks to fit my Husky. The trick is to note the location of the water pumps on different bikes--thats usually the hang up. Radiators can be swapped out or easily raised/lowered to fit most tanks. I lowered mine about an inch.

One big issue is the exhaust routing. Custom fabricating down pipes is not to bad--but laying out the water tank(s), skid plate mounts, balise box, foot peg/kick start clearence and fuel lines in conjunction with the down pipes is not so easy...

Its really nice to have the fuel weight down low a la the KTM/Mecca System tanks, but a taller tank up front with the stock pipe makes for a MUCH easier bike build.

Many XR400's, DRz's, and not a few KTM450's at Dakar had a +/- 5 gallon front tank and a +/-1.5 gallon rear tank on the left side (like in your DRz picture). Its a nice compromise. Rear tank in plastic from Baja Designs or carbon fiber from Oasisaventura.com (very nice!) or aluminum from Meccasystems.com--i had some custom fabbed up. About $150 per tank--but i did get a leak. Most guys modify their sub-frame for the mounts.

If you do decide to DIY a rally bike feel free to PM.

Its a considerable undertaking from the USA--there is just so little knowledge and experience about how to do it. The problem is that everything effects everything else, and its hard to engineer that in the first time. Bolting a Mecca System onto a KTM is easy--but setting up a DRz would be a real challenge. Go for it!

Just my 2 pesos worth.
  7. lastplace

lastplace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike, we've got plenty of experience making custom rally bikes in the USA. Sure, we offer the Mecasystem kits, with plenty of our own custom preparation, and the Carbon Honda kits for the 450X, but we built very one-off bikes for the 06 Dakar using plastic saddle tanks from a 660 Rallye, custom low pipes, and our own solutions to many of the problems, and our hard-earned bag of tricks to make the bikes last better. 08 will be our 5th Dakar, and our 6th year running international rallies. We are building bikes for customers for events on 3 continents now. We've got build sheets mapped out for everything from a Yamaha WR250 to a Honda 650 rally bike. Rallying is growing fast in North America. We're not the only ones who have experience. The Mexican team from Cabo built some simple but effective WR450s for the 07 Dakar.

Here's a photo of Jonah headed towards two daily podium finishes on one of our 06 bikes. Its twin, Mike Krynock's bike, still runs great with over 12,000 very hard miles on it.

Seth, DRZs get great fuel mileage. Stages are rarely completely soft sand. Depends on many factors, but at worst, your estimate of 25mpg over the course of a long stage is probably safe.

fun fun
    Charlie
    www.rallymanagementservices.com

Attached Files:

8. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Aqualine do a nice 28L DRZ tank
  9. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    also, http://www.boano.com/ , do a pile of rallyesque stuff , not sure about the DRZ but it may be worth a look around
  10. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input. I concentrating on getting into a physical training routine, working on riding skills, and doing a lot of research right now. My plan is to do the NRE this fall and a brisk TAT section on the way to NRE...probably on my 950. During the fall and winter I will start building the DRZ and the plan is to enter into Por Las Pampas next year but I am open to other events as well....though the budget is most likely for one...and I only have limited vacation time too (damn work gets in the way).

I will probably work with Charlie North at Function First Motorsports on the build as he has exceptional fabrication and prep skills. www.ffmsd.com .

On another note, where can I get the rules for the various moto classes and the regs etc? It would be good to know what is and whats not allowed for each class.

On the fuel issue, it looks like several of the DRZ's entered into the dakar last year were running a custom aluminum tank up front that held 18 litres (4.755 US Gallons), an 8 liter tank (2.11 US gallons), and a 6.5 liter (1.71 US gallons) tank in the rear.

The worst gas mileage I have gotten on either of my bikes (ktm 950 vs suzuki drz) was 20 mpg on the 950. That was trying to ride in the slime of Utah after a rainstorm. It was probably even worse as it was like riding on ice for a mile in each direction. Probably got offset by the decent road surfaces before and after. Also lost fuel from vents and carbs on several tip overs.
  11. mikekay

mikekay toiling midget

Oddometer:
    For Dakar they have their own but follow FIM closely. Australian Safari have detailed info as well. Overall the best is probably the FIM pdf files:

http://www.fim.ch/en/default.asp?item=29#

Any idea who made the tanks?
  12. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    I don't know who made the tanks but the guy who built the bikes was named Ivo (Czech) and I found his website off of a thread on thumpertalk:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other info from thumpertalk:

MODIFICATIONS:

Yep, the bike started as a DRZ400SM, acording to this interview
    with Ivo Kastan: http://www.motorkari.cz/index.php?show=00000003687
    List of mods is here: http://www.ivokastan.cz/index.php?pg=061214

Here is the skinny:
    They chose the supermotard, because of the rear swingarm from the RM-Z 450, longer and stiffer.
    Aluminum tanks by Marron Racing: 17 liter front, and 8 and 6,5 liter rear.
    Fork custom Marzocchi.
    Rear shock orig with stiffer spring.
    Scotts-Ohlins steering damper.
    Fairing and engine cover by Sebimoto from carbon/kevlar, includes water tanks for total of 3 liters.
    Leather seat Selle dalla valle.
    Excel rims.
    Sprockets by Supersprox.
    Brake discs, pads, hoses by Gold Fren.
    Twin air filter.
    Touratech for navigation.
    Tommaselli handle bars.
    Carbon fiber components by Pro-Carbon.
    Plastic by Acerbis.
    Yoshi pipe.
    Radiator Fluidyne USA.
    Headlights and oil cooler by Buell.
    Sparkplugs Brisk Platin.
    Chain CZ ORM 520 .
    Engines modified by Schaeffer Tuning in Germany, displacement roughly 450 cc.
  13. mikekay

mikekay toiling midget

Oddometer:
    Interesting stuff, always great to see more rally bikes. Must have been a challenge to get the 'Zokes to fit-axle, triple clamps-its not easy. Very impressive. That guy really builds some nice rally bikes.