DRZ pricing - WTF?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mattbastard, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    So maybe it's a mid life crisis but I'm looking for a wheelie bike. I need to finish and sell my project Harley first, but it's fun to shop.

This crisis bike has only to do one thing - wheelie! I've always wanted to master the wheelie. I don't need to do them at 100 mph, but I'd like to be able to hoist one up and ride it at the balance point, even upshift on one, then come down when I feel like it. Even 12 o'clocks at slow speeds would be fun. In my research the DRZ-SM sounds like a good fit.

The problem is WTF about the used pricing!?!?! They've been around for almost two decades and 15 year old ones are going for over $5K with tons of mods and a noisy muffler no doubt. Brand new they're only $7300.

Is the DRZ so damn good that they can justifiably hold used values?
  2. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Naah Covid has driven prices through the roof for thumpers and a shortage of new bikes is helping this this video briefly touches on the subject.
    Bitingdog, eakins and AZ TOM like this.
  3. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

I was gonna say their 450 is better than the Drz in every possible way but the air cooler has no rads to break off in wheelie school. Easily tagged in Florida too, but you better call them in Utah ASAP to put a deposit down on the next batch inbound in April.

A guy in Fla has a youtube series with his E and is yankin wheerlies all over the place.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    For a used bike they are less than that in Southern California. Everyone wants a KTM out here
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here he is,,, Adv Outlaw

Bitingdog and Mattbastard like this.
  7. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog and eakins like this.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not everywhere, but in Fla yes. Plus f.i., 6 speed and way more modern than the Dizzer.
  9. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    I like that 250! I used to have a 1993 XR250L back a few years ago. It had a really bad taste for oil, which turned out to be a rusty cylinder wall causing blowby. I bought a Wiseco kit for it, had the work done, and she'd pull 82 mph on straights after some other mild mods. I miss that bike for occasional fun off road. That GPX 250 might be the ticket for me to take up to Croom or Richloam/Green Swamp.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  10. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it seems like all motorcycle pricing is way off due to Covid. I usually like to pick up a bike or two for fix/flip over the winter. Couldn't do it this past year. Literally around Jan/Feb 2020, I picked up an 02 DRZ400 for 1200$
    RebelYell and eakins like this.
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

The 2v GPX will pull to right around 74 MPH with me sitting straight up at 6-01"/190 lbs. Its a great Croom etc bike. No other production air cooled bike can eat whoops like these can.
  12. CheapoWes

CheapoWes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like it's basically a KTM chassis/suspension with a Honda 230 engine for under 4k new. Wonder if the Athena crf230 big bore will fit..

If it's anything like other air cooled honda's there's not much top end and while only 74mph it probably holds 65-70mph with the right gearing(great torque from those motors).

My CRF250L tops out right around 78-80mph and I can tell you even with upgraded suspension that GPX would leave it for dead anywhere in the dirt and for most people that's worth 5-10mph top speed loss.. It seems like with just some mild engine work it'd make enough power for that 70mph cruise everyone is after(but never uses).

The GPX/SSR bikes are at the top of my next bike list and for anyone looking there's a FSE250R(the "better" efi one) already plated with a FL title in the classifieds for just over $2,000. Makes around 32hp and EFI. I've almost bought it twice lol.
    Navin likes this.
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is the "older" 5 speed E without the improved counter balancer. It likes 67 MPH cruising as the vibes creep in just above that, it will hold 70 just fine, but my mechanical feel tells me 67 is more better. The 6 speed and better balancer have that covered. It can go to 265cc and Henner Motorsports has a few hop ups including that BB. When Zong redesigned the block it kinda optimized it at 249. Swapping onto an XT250 f.i. I couldnt get my bike back soon enough. What a pooch.

9A77357A-92B4-4B46-B078-BAEE33FADA77.jpeg
    Bhart89, greasyfatman and Bultaco206 like this.
  14. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Does it come like that from the factory, all "retro lookin"?
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Nah but it was pretty easy. Base bike was untouched but for one (unused on the E) threaded 6mm hole in the frame being drilled out slightly. The WP 50mm forks were a maybe bit overboard but I love looking at em.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2019-gpx-1980-fanatic-enduro.1386675/
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yeah...are you just learning about Covid and used bike prices? Supply is virgin tight and used prices are through the roof.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    eakins likes this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Same here in Colorado.
    Everyone I've talked to is very well aware of Covid pricing. They are actually shopping now in the winter as the expectations are for even tighter supplies come spring buying season and prices even higher.

I know a few guys who are selling used now as they feel this is the highest value their used bike will ever be and this gives them a 1 time opportunity to parley that into finally affording a new moto!

By next spring this will be mostly over as Covid will be done this fall and people fall back into old patterns.

Dealers I've spoken with have said they have buyers coming in who are searching for anything new as the used supply is not there and it's better to just buy new. These are buyers who have always bought used and are buying new for the very first time.

The exact same thing is happening in.the bicycle industry. New supply is unreal tight and used bicycles are selling for top $.

My daughter grew alot and need to move up in bicycle sizing. I moved quickly and bought 2 used bikes for her in the dead of winter and hustled to find a good deal. In a month or 2 there will be zero good deals or if there is one 10 people will be jumping in it. All the local bike shops said they did not expect to have any unsold extra supply and check back in the fall...

I assume this is going on for most every industry right now. New cars can't get electronics pieces etc. and assy lines are shut down.

The global supply chain is fucked right now and ships are backed up so much in Long Beach they need to now ultiize drift boxes for the outer most waiting ships.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Is that because it's easier to tag a KTM in California or just the understanding that KTM are a higher spec and have a 6spd?

It's a sea of orange here in Colorado, but there are plenty of WRs too.

I'm really glad I bought my WR450F just before Covid last February. I have a friend looking for one and used prices are $$$.