DRZ pricing - WTF?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mattbastard, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Jthewood

Jthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Odd, I'm in New Mexico and I drove to Colorado to buy a DRZ400s for a better price than I could find in NM. Bought a used, but decently cared for '09 for $2850. Even brought the wife for a nice day together in the car!
    Bitingdog likes this.
  2. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    For a whoolie bike, you can find a Grom with stunt pegs, 12:00 bar, crash cage, etc, the full stunt setup for <$3000. Then when you’re done trashing it, you can resell it for probably the exact same price you paid.
    wishing well and Mattbastard like this.
  3. Xenotactics

Xenotactics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You want to learn how to wheelie? Do yourself a favor and get a CRF125RB, TTR125LE, or similar bike. These bikes will be way more forgiving when you crash and loop your way to learning balance point. Plus, they are way more fun and versatile. You can mob your neighborhood, ride trails, and even make them street legal(depending on your state laws).
    I started wheelies on a DRZ Supermoto and tore my rotator cuff very badly on my 2nd loop. Afterwards, I bought a klx110 and my skills drastically improved with less chance of being seriously injured! Smaller bikes focus more on improving your skill since you don’t have the power to instantly pop wheelies.

Fast forward to today and now I currently ride a CRF450L Supermoto and STILL ride my klx110 on a daily basis!

Attached Files:

Jthewood, Mattbastard and Bitingdog like this.
  4. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    That's a really good point. In that regard I was looking at a Grom (and the like) but I really feel like I need both street and dirt capabilities, and I feel like the Grom will be a bit too gutless for streets around here. Now I'm really eye-balling those GPX 250's. The street legal one I could literally ride up to Croom or Richloam since I live in North Tampa and have a blast for the day without trailering anything anywhere.

I used to have a Yamaha Blaster (remember those?). I could wheelie that thing on the balance point the length of a football field, but my training put me on my ass a couple times. I'd clutch it up in 1st and in the beginning hit the grab rail and she'd toss me, then the quad would keep inching forward in 1st with a ghost rider at the helm. :rofl Over time the grab rail never hit the ground but it was integral in getting me to that point.

When I upgraded to a Banshee the grab rail was much shorter and I never had the balls to practice wheelies mainly due to the power it had.

I had an R1 back in 2001. Crazy wheelie machine but I never could keep it at the balance point. I'd just get close and using engine power I'd keep accelerating to redline in 1st.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    I just noticed Kwak is doing an SM version of their 300. :hmmmmm
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    GPX SM kit is like $750 with tires.

70B68568-5CFF-4DCB-85C5-BC25FB966240.jpeg
    Mattbastard likes this.
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Wheelie School :lol3
    Navin likes this.
  8. Xenotactics

Xenotactics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went and checked one out two days ago. I’d still buy a 125cc dirt bike over the 300. Too heavy, expensive, and suspension is lacking

Attached Files:

Mattbastard and Bitingdog like this.
  9. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    My only beef with the Grom is the power, but from what I'm seeing now there's plenty of upgrade kits out there for hopping it up.
  10. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Yeah there’s plenty of options for more power, but do you want to learn wheelies or ride on highways? Find one already kitted out for stunting and it probably already has the intake/exhaust/etc.
  11. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Anything that can hold 60 mph all day long with a top speed over 70 is fine. I've got a R1200GS for extended interstate use so this bike would be just for tooling around and stuff.

Not many Groms for sale around here though.
  12. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of riders in Calif want the latest and greatest. Plus some of the new bikes can be plated like the 500exc I believe

We also have almost year round riding in So Cal even though it does get hot in the summer. I think a lot of riders want a new bike in the back of their new truck.

Not sure if the WR450 can be plated yet out here yet.

Just an observation that I have had when looking around when riding.

I will be keeping my plated XR650R and DRZ400

Good luck
    eakins likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was thinking maybe those 350/500 S models have alot to do with that in California. From Japan inc the only modern bike is the 450L in factory legal category.

I know in Colorado the non-s 500 is the one most choose because they can easily tag it.
  14. nacho squatcho

nacho squatcho Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why doesn't GPX offer any street legal from the factory bikes?
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    MB, Navin is always going to show you the better-spec GPX option for the same or less vs the downgrade Japanese options...your choice
    Navin likes this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Do you have any idea the cost per model? The extensive process? And the additional equipment needed?

You might be shocked and realize Gary wants to actually make $.

He has no shortage of buyers who just want a dirtbike and knows enough can tag it.

You do know you can easily get a tag from Clay County S.D. no matter where you live?
    Plenty are doing that right now.
    Navin likes this.
  17. nacho squatcho

nacho squatcho Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, I have no clue how much that stuff costs because I’m not a motorcycle importer or manufacturer, hence my question.

CA loves closing loopholes, and I’m pretty sure the SD plate thing is a hot topic of discussion these days.
    eakins and Navin like this.
  18. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learned from this guy. You don't need a DRZ400SM just to learn how to wheelie.

But the reason for the good used value on the DRZ400 is because it's a proven design, tons of aftermarket support, low maintenance, good power to weight ratio, reliable (if previous owner took care of it), and relatively affordable new. It's a really good bike even today at its price point.
    twinrider, Mattbastard and heirhead like this.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Its anywhere for $50-100,000 per bike is my understanding. Lotsa math involved but it is as it is. They are dirt bikes. :ricky
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's for certification processes only, not to mention the cost of equipment added/upgraded to make it pass.

Those GPX bikes would be another 25% more expensive and not might sell.

Honda has said they need to sell 10,000 per model per year to recoup or it's a top $$$ boutique model or a loss taken against another model.
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.