DRZ400 Simpson Desert Build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by hellotimmutton, Mar 30, 2021.

1. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following this thread with interest....

Also, I'm in this video :smile6

Sean
  2. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    How much does your rotopack hold youll need at least 40 liters of fuel and around 15 of water. suspension is what you should be spending money and time on everything else is nice but not necessary.
  3. hellotimmutton

hellotimmutton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between various containers I have 40 liters of fuel and 12 liters of water. Forks have been revalved and resprung and rear shock has been revalved
  4. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Did you upgrade the both springs? that's a lot of extra weight + camping gear,food etc the rear does the most work
  5. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    Managed to break my collarbone before hitting the desert, around 2 weeks into the trip. Obviously disappointed, but tbh the closer we got to the crossing the less confident we were becoming that we were ready to do it, so it may be a blessing in disguise. Already got a couple things I want to do to further prepare the bike, but step one is getting it back home (working with my insurance on that). Currently its sitting in the garage of a medical clinic hundreds of kms from the closest city
  6. nostep

nostep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely don't want to hit like on that post, but glad you're going to be OK. Heal quick.
  7. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    Haha yeah totally get that. Was still an amazing trip, and dont regret it. I think riding motorbikes has desensitised me to broken bones (this is the second one, still too stubborn to have it deter me)
  8. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Bummer, but stuff happens.
    Maybe the adv community can help, post in the Aus section
  9. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not letting it get to me, just treating it as an unfortunate trial run for when we do it successfully. Should hear back from insurance in a couple days, fairly confident theyll come through, otherwise I've sorted out a backup plan to get it back
  10. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    When I called Swann insurance, they assured me they would be able to get my bike back, no problem. So even though I had a friend with a trailer offering to go on a roadtrip with me to retrieve it, I declined. A week after I was back at work, they denied my claim and refused to help me transport it at all. Fortunately I work at a place that has a nation-wide shipping network, so they got my bike back to me, but suffice to say I no longer get my insurance through Swann. Now that I've got my bike back and my shoulder has recovered, I've gotten to work fixing the damage, and making some upgrades for issues I identified on the first trip, in preperation for taking another crack at the crossing next year. The changes I'll be making are (and I'll cross off this list as I go):

- Replace broken bark busters with ones that are larger (more wind protection)
    - Heated grips. There were times my fingers got so cold I couldnt feel them, so this plus the bigger bark busters should increase comfort signifcantly
    - Fender bag & brace, for storing a tire tube and tire levers
    - LED headlight, since I'll be running even more electronics off the current charging system
    - IMS 4 gallon tank. Admittedly there was only one time the distance between petrol stations was large enough I needed to use the rotopax, but still concerned about whether I had enough capacity to cross the desert, so the 0.8 gal of extra capacity should help
    - Fender rack plate. The bolts and welds on the rear rack rubbed on the rotopax and was starting to damage it, plus it was hard to tie down to, a laser cut plate should solve both issues
    - Side pannier brace. The right pannier bent in, perhaps due to the crash however my mates is bending in too and he didnt drop his bike, so hopefully welding on a brace between the two should fix that
    - "Tool" tube opposite the exhaust. Will actually hold a small fuel bottle for the purpose of this trip, will hold tools otherwise
    - A bunch of other odds and sods like replacing the case guards, re-springing the rear shock, replacing the wheel weights since half of them came off, etc

As a reference, this is the bike before round two of the build

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 13.34.52.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 13.34.51(1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-10-02 at 13.34.51.jpeg
  11. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Ahh the project of improvement from what didn’t work, love it!
    sruss67 and hellotimmutton like this.
  12. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    Couple project updates:
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-01 at 13.03.42.jpeg

Installed a fender brace and small fender bag to hold a tube and some tire levers, some white plastics to update the look and bigger bark busters to (hopefully) reduce wind on my hands. The headlight is an aftermarket jeep headlight installed via some 3d printed brackets (pictured below). Currently its just printed in PLA however I've bought some carbon fibre/nylon filament and some upgraded parts for my printer which should make it a fair bit stronger. Not pictured is the heated grips, however you can see the wires dangling off the side which need to be shortened

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-01 at 13.03.43.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-01 at 13.03.43(1).jpeg

I've also added a fuse box to the side of the air box which should tidy up the battery area (it was a rats nest of cables & inline fuses)
    nostep and Hay Ewe like this.
  13. KidKawie

KidKawie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wobble is probably the bead locks throwing the wheel balance.
  14. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    Yeah balancing the wheels and adding a steering damper really helped, although I should have done them seperately so I could see how much each improved it