Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:

Have you seen the Ultimate MX Hauler?
    OldManSandman likes this.
  2. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i just installed a set of newer 2002+ forks with fresh oil on my 2000 drz400s. i am aboit 130lb without gear. i ride mostly trails. i am mesuring 1.4" static sag and 2.25" race sag.

i have the oem springs in it. should be .44 rate. any sugestions on what rate i need?
  3. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here ya go:
    https://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Suzuki/DRZ400S/2000

...click on the "Calculate Spring Rates and Display Available Springs ", enter your ride preferences and see what comes up.

Seems like at 130lbs you won't be too far from OEM. I had to install a .60 for my fat ass! (+luggage :D).
  4. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    You can use turnbuckles for that.
    An image I stole off the net:
    HoldDownThruPegs.jpg
    :lol3
  5. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. 62hsr

62hsr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    47D76756-4F01-46A7-9DCA-BDCCAD7E48C7.jpeg
  7. GREWUPIN_D11

GREWUPIN_D11 GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer:
    +1 on that. I've pulled my 4x8 folding trailer about 15000 miles with bikes on it, PLUS all the typical dump-run utility stuff close to home. Informally known as the 'half-ton pickup attachment' to my typical tow vehicle, a 2012 Honda Fit.

What makes it work well as a bikehauler is the Bolt-It-On chock system. Three dirtbike option with 77" crossbar. https://www.boltiton.com/product/3-dirt-bike-rack-system/ The 77-inch crossbar projects far enough beyond the sides of the trailer to really give good side-to-side tiedown support angles even for bikes sitting close to the edges of the trailer.

Also, go with Load Range 'D' radial tires, re-grease the original bearings as soon as possible after purchase and annually thereafter.

Pictures are of the loadout for move from Virginia to Illinois. 1000lbs of bikes, 220lbs of trailer. Found even at that weight the 1.5 liter engine would pull redline in third gear (73mph) for many minutes with no signs of distress on the long uphill grades on I-68 in western Maryland!

VAtoIL loadout1.jpg

VAtoIL loadout2.jpg
    slideways, Fixnfly, AZ TOM and 2 others like this.
  8. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    Great pics and feedback! Thanks for that. I like the ones that hold the foot pegs in place. I tried the turn buckles on my trailer and although it works, it was fiddly to get the right height / length of carabiner and turnbuckle etc.that Lock and Load looks sweet if I go the trailer route for sure.

the Ultimate MX Hauler looks pretty whizzy, although a bit pricey.
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  9. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191218_113828.jpg

Took her for her first dirt bath yesterday and I made a few notes which I would like to share. First let me get this off my chest "THIS BIKE ROCKS!!!!!!!":wings I traded in my 2012 KLX250s and had some apprehensions and questions about my decision. That is until yesterday's ride and I've completely let go of the past and moved on. The first note that comes to mind is seat height. IT'S A LONG WAY TO REACH THE GROUND. I plan on changing the stock plank for a Seat Concepts and was thinking maybe the low seat cover would fit the bill. When lo and behold I intuitively started slipping one cheek off the seat and the ground got closer. Problem solved. The stock bars have got to go. They suck to low. Makes standing on the pegs more of a bent over affair. Not comfortable at all. Maybe Protaper contour CR mid's with 3/4" fatbar adaptors and Highway Dirt Bikes handguards. Foot pegs or rather foot nubs way to small. Pivot Pegz. Had them on my KLX loved em. Now the biggie "suspension". IT'S GREAT. Compared to my KLX I feel like I have suspension now. Let's just say it was rather plush (mussy). My DRZ on the other hand in comparison feels stiff. I mean that in a good way because it also feels, and I don't have another word to describe it "PLANTED". My KLX always felt like the front end was going to wash through the turns. Not this bike pick a line and go. Feels like it's on autopilot takes very little input from me. I haven't even set the rear sag or started playing with the clickers but for now I'm very pleased with stock suspension. Stock tires they don't suck too bad. They were going to get changed right away but I may get a little more use out of them. Need rim locks though. Brakes front great works as advertised. Rear nope almost a no brake kinda spongie. Any suggestions? The rest. Protection skid plate, radiator guards, clutch and ignition case protection (Thumper Talk I like TT name etched on them LoL). Rear rack. Larger gas tank, probably Acerbis 3.7g. I like Clark but I see where many folks have had leakage issues. Engine upgrades that will happen in due time. Exhaust, jetting, bigger carb, etc. Remember I came off a 250 that didn't have enough power to get out of its own way:lol3 so I feel like I'm twisting the throttle on a rocket now. So I could have spent a bunch of money doing suspension upgrades, big bore (351) kit, flat slide carb on my KLX and still not have half the bike I have now. So I'm very pleased to have Marshmallow (my wife gave it that name) in the garage.

Attached Files:

Dutch idiot, LosTabarnacos and ohgood like this.
  10. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    do they make a saddle bag that doesnt drill holes in the plastic fender?
  11. rustynut2

rustynut2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Change those tires before you hurt yourself. The front will slide out at the worst possible time.
  12. hboehle

hboehle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind a small tangent - Why did you end up trading in the KLX? I'm on a suspension-swapped DR650 and love the thing, but keep wondering about either a smaller 250, or the DRZ. I've ridden a stock DRZ quite a bit and it would probably be a good fit, but curious why you didn't stick to the KLX.
  13. JohnE65c

JohnE65c Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The great thing about the drz400 is that it can be personalized based on taste and riding style. The oem tires are fine for pavement, but for any off road, the first priority should be tires. Many opinions on the best tire, but I run Conti TKC-80's which is a good compromise. Look to more aggressive DOT knobbies if you spend more time off road. If you're going to run tire pressure below 16 to 18 p.s.i., you will need rim locks. Make sure you balance the wheels if you install them and run any pavement at all.
  14. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better tires are definitely on the list of upgrades. I traded in my KLX because it just didn't meet my needs anymore. To slow on the highway, mussy suspension, and a few other minor things mostly fit. I was at a cross road spend a bunch of money on more upgrades. Better suspension, big bore, bigger carb or buy a new bike. Easy choice.
    hondamxracer likes this.
  15. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving the 27th, yes I waited too long, even for prime. What are some brand name lithium batteries you all have had good luck with? Earthx a little pricey, antigravity back ordered, tusk pro and battery tender can’t get info. I know some of the “second tier” are decent too. Any suggestions? Thanks
  16. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is the one I purchased. Has restart capability so your not stranded. Happy so far!

AB8B16AD-13D2-4763-9CD6-A33E4DAC7EF1.png
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  17. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Off eBay. They have it stocked
  18. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have that same one saved on wishlist.. you ll need a lithium charger too right?
  19. JohnE65c

JohnE65c Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Shorai has been working fine for me after just over a year. Not as cold here as up in Mi. though.
    Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery LFX14A2-BS12
  20. Surfinpig

Surfinpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New to me drz400s. Can’t wait to farklethis thing out. IMG_4006.jpg
    Marco Moto likes this.