Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it isn't. It's about trade-off's, and the 525EXC has many.

My friend has a 525EXC. It's an awesome bike, but too much power (for what we do), too much suspension, too tall, far too short service intervals. After a weekend last fall spent kickstarting the KTM (because the starter wasn't working well) and being stressed with modulating the power, flipping it on an uphill, crashing over railroad tracks, taking turns with all of us kickstarting it for 20 minutes more when it was stuck in the mud, riding back to the campsite in first gear because it wouldn't shift to second, and then finding half the oil leaked out the kickstart and crankcase seals, he borrowed a DR350 for the next day, trailered the 525 home, stuffed it in the back of his garage, ordered parts, waited, bought a WR250R, and keeps talking about all the work he has to do to sell it the orange banshee.

There is no doubt rider skill is a huge factor, but the 525exc was unforgiving of mistakes, has high maintenance requirements (hey just like the german cars I've owned!) and (at least his) was unreliable. It was not the right bike for him, his skills, and where we ride. In contrast, he is over the moon with his WR250R (and for the record, he can easily fork over $12k for a bike).
    ejm4 and inroads like this.
  2. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I've switched from a DRZs to a CRF250x, same setup as the DRZ, lowering link, shaved the seat, jet kit/opened airbox top, suspension springs, Rekluse clutch kit, etc.
    Looked at/test rode the 450x, too much explosive power that would only get me deeper into the "I'm in trouble here" zone when I'm tired and just holding on.
    That crf250x ended up 60# pounds lighter than the DRZ, doesn't sound like much until you have picked it up for the 5th/6th time.
    The crf250x is not much more expensive than a DRZ and I would not have done the switch if I couldn't have gotten the Honda plated here in Idaho.
    :lol3
  3. enduro16

enduro16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Part of your reason you don't like KTM 525 EXC, cuz of the clapped-out piece of shi$ your friend had? Too much suspension? Lol Look at my two bikes the KLX 400 the KTM 525 these are clean,if you don't like power stick with a wr250r, there's only been a couple times when I've had too much power, and all the other times I've been wishing for more! It's all about throttle control, if you have electric start and a kick-start back up thats a big plus for me.the rfs's have never failed to start, unless you have a dead battery, if you got a dead battery in your DRZ or your KLX go find a hill, let's talk about one of the downfalls of the DRZ that you never brought up, the short transmission in it! when I'm riding my 525 I'm in 5th gear and I'm thinking it's 6 gear cuz I'm used to that short transmission in the KLX, 6 gear like overdrive(it's called wide ratio 6-speed transmission) I have less in this KTM 525 EXC then people have in their DRZ400... Ride what you like, Have a nice day!
    jjxtrider likes this.
  4. RadicalTireSkid

RadicalTireSkid BURNOUT WHEELIE!!!!!

Oddometer:
    yea a 525 isn't a beginner bike. A DRZ is. Sounds like your buddy is a beginner on a non-beginner type of bike.

Sounds that way.... to me.

That's why i like my 2 stroke best for tight riding. The engine basically NEVER dies at low rpm slow speed situations (not like my old 450/350s). And the low power at low RPM actually made the bike manageable and easier to ride in tricky situations. Could get away with way less throttle control (in low RPM).
  5. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    That's the problem with beatup bikes, it's always the mfg not total lack of care. My '08 has yet to have a single issue, haven't even had to do valve adjustments. Power can easily be controled with either a slower twist, bit higher gearing, or just simple skill. I won't say they're the cheap machines but my maintenance hasn't been 1 minute sooner than any other bike or atv I have or had owned so the short intervals is all internet folkore .
  6. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at getting a DRZ or a KTM 350 EXC (or 390 Adv if one exists after the EIMCA) for long-distance dual-sport riding, but I'm a little confused about the KTM dirt bike maintenance schedule. If the maintenance schedule listed in the KTM EXC owner's manual is "folklore" (e.g. 15 hour oil/filter changes and complete engine rebuild for EXCs at 135 hours for non-racing use), and can be ignored, why is the KTM owner blamed when he shows up on a POS when he ignores the maintenance schedule? Also might explain why it seems a lot of KTM dirt bikes come up for sale around 100 hours.
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  7. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad the 525EXC works for you. I didn't write I didn't like it, I responded that it isn't "everything we want in a DRZ". It's everything YOU (and probably quite a few others in here) want in a DRZ, but there are also quite a few of us who have enough power and want less weight. But we universally appear to agree that the DRZ/KLX is a durable, versatile, low-maintenance machine. While it doesn't excel, it is capable in most situations.

I pointed out that the 525EXC is an awesome bike, but clearly not the right bike for that rider in that situation, and I qualified that his bike was unreliable. The 525EXC is more of a race / motorcross bike than a woods bike. It has suspension and motor for higher speeds in more open terrain. Where we ride even the 250's barely ever get out of 2nd gear and they are NEVER wanting for more power, we were ruminating that even ~180cc would be plenty and wondering how much lighter they would be.

Exactly. The unforgiving nature of it leads to significant rider fatigue and frequent mistakes. The power is nice on long gravel (or even paved) roads, but on the trail even the smallest wrist movements causes the rear tire to lose traction (and the tire isn't worn down). On the hill climbs he was struggling between not enough traction and spinning the rear, or too much and lifting the front tire, even in second gear. I will note that I don't know how quickly the clutch engages or whether it was easy to modulate, but the rest of us were able to climb the hill, with less power, and less drama. Yes, skill has much to do with, but we were all about equally unskilled (i.e. only been riding dirt 2-3 years).

I don't know which '08 you have but the '03 525EXC's oil change and valve clearance interval is 15 hours. I recall reading something about very soft valves.

upload_2019-10-31_9-10-30.png
    AZ TOM and jwnsc like this.
  8. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The key is to not get a 'racing' KTM for long-distance riding.
    DR650SEDDY, RadicalTireSkid and jwnsc like this.
  9. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have to admit.. if i knew the drz400e (klx400r) was this much fun i would have gotten on sooner!
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  10. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:

the keywords of "long distance" probably mean a 350 wouldn't be good. but also... do you mean 500 mile days? TAT type of ride? 150 mile days.... Also... for long distance straight up dirt roads.. maybe even a DR650 would be better for you.

There is so much overlap between the three... its hard to really determine what's good. why not just buy all of them? lol... oh yea.. my wife....

I took my 250 and KLX to moab. Had about 100x more fun on the 250. Riding Texas flat as shit back roads... the KLX is/would be a much better experience.
  11. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, the WR250R was too anemic on-road loaded down with gear and my 235 lbs., and my 650GS and DR650 are/were too heavy when riding by myself, (especially when over 10,000 feet on a steep slope!). Thought the DRZ (320 lbs), 350EXC (267 lbs.) or maybe the 390 Adv (300-ish lbs.) would make a good compromise. "Long-distance" in this case would be about 1700 miles/2 weeks of 75/25 unpaved/paved. As for the EXC, I reckon I could deal with one oil change just before leaving, one on the route halfway, and one after reaching the destination. But I also need to think about what bike would be easiest to live with while doing my "usual" riding, i.e., do I want to ride the 300 miles to the mountains and back for the long weekend, or haul the bike in the pick-up?
  12. enduro16

enduro16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You like to get the last word, you've been riding dirt for two or three years! School me please...
  13. Honda_Power

Honda_Power I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Anyway about the drz400...

I finally found the time to dig into the carburetor of my newly acquired drz400, the one with the nasty airbox as seen a few pages ago. It actually was pretty clean in the carb to my surprise, but I did find some nasty oily foam pieces on top inside the diaghram. As far as jetting changes, see below:
    First, the as bought setup:

155 main
    Blue needle jet, 3rd clip
    25 pilot jet
    Stock fuel screw 1.5 turns out
    3x3 mod, UNI air filter, slip on exhaust (I think)
    In the above setup the bike only ran well with the airbox half taped off.

New setup:

160 main
    Blue needle jet, 4th clip
    25 pilot jet
    Stock fuel screw, 2.5 turns out
    Restrictor tape removed

@ about sea level by the way for both setups.

The new setup is definitely a lot better. The bike still seems to be a little flat at times but maybe that's just me getting used to the bike. Good thing is off throttle is a lot smoother now and I think at full throttle the 160 makes a bit more power. Need more time to test though.

Quick question, any of you guys delete the throttle return cable? I've done it on the past on a different bike and I know it's not recommended but I kind of want to do that.

Spark plug came in the mail too so I'll try that once I'm sure the jetting is good. This bike is fun. I'm now more easily able to ride 1-2-3- maybe 4th on one wheel. Couldn't do that on my 250l haha!

Edit: is it normal to feel when the main jet kicks in? It's like I can feel the switch from the needle to the main. Maybe I need to go to the 5th clip on the needle?
  14. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Deleting the return cable is an iffy deal, it helps a person force the throttle closed if something sticks , not fulllproof and not a common issue, heck atv's don't hve them but also not running high speed in traffic. Winter is the only time I had any stuck throttle(250r ), mostly from rolling the thing in snow and water getting in the twist housing.

IIRC the red needle works better in many locations.

as to my 525, 162hrs on the meter and going strong.:dunno
  15. Honda_Power

Honda_Power I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    As it should be

Yea I think I'm going to ditch it. So rare to get stuck, and there's always kill switch rear brake etc
  16. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:
    yup. its which "difficulty" do you want to deal with.
  17. Fixnfly

Fixnfly Not found on the book of faces

Oddometer:
    Honda_Power,
    Good to see you are making progress, are you gonna change your name to Suzuki_Power when you get it done?
  18. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    oops
  19. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    He still has a mower.

:hide

:lol3
  20. mwitt08

mwitt08 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for some advice here. I have maybe $1,500 to spend on a bike. I was thinking the DR350se at that budget.

But a DRz400se popped up for $1000. Owner said only thing wrong is that it started blowing oil out a shaft seal presumably.

I feel like it’s worth the rise. Am I crazy? Or should I go after similarly priced dr350’s that aren’t blowing oil everywhere.

BTW, I am mechanically inclined and do have an Ohio winter to work on it.