Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. Honda_Power

Honda_Power I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Got some more work done on my new to me drz.

- Put on a new spark plug. See the old one below:

IMG_20191105_203655501.jpg

IMG_20191105_203746252.jpg

I took the plug out after a 45 minute ride with the new jetting. I didn't ride up to my garage full throttle (I have neighbors) but nonetheless I'd say the plug shows the air/fuel ratio is pretty good no?

While I had the bike apart I also:

- Deleted the return throttle cable
    - Deleted the horn
    - Replaced some old corroded hardware with new SS Allen head hardware
    - And rerouted/cleaned up some cables and hoses.

I think it's now pretty much ready to ride!
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  2. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you'll be just f with the 15/47 to climb anything. Remember 1 tooth on CS = 3 of the rear sprocket. I had the 15/47 before is great on the technical & steep stuff but once u hit hi-speed dirt or freeway it really sucks.
  3. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my KLX ('e') with 14/47 it's fine in the slow technical stuff but I still run it in 2nd to smooth out the throttle inputs. Even from a stop and climbing hills I keep it in 2nd, and use a lot more clutch.
    GREWUPIN_D11 and dazz like this.
  4. Ruined One

Ruined One Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well said DAZZ. You nailed it on variety to match the conditions. Makes me think of a visit I had a few years ago with a friend who is an avid fisherman. He remarked about why I have so many different bikes, all the while standing in his shed surrounded by the largest display of fishing rods and tackle I have ever seen. As you said, each bike has its application. I applied this logic this fall after getting back from Alaska on my GSA. It was a great bike for a trip like that, but the few times i ventured off into more technical stuff on my journey, I had my hands full. So... am now outfitting a DRZ400S to supplement the big dog when I want to play around. Headed to Ariz next month to test my set up.
    inroads, DCrider, dazz and 1 other person like this.
  5. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about downsizing to the DRZ from my 650GS since at around 320 pounds,
    it is over a hundred pounds lighter. Picking up the bike without help is desirable. While I
    can pick up the GS in my driveway, out in the boondocks it is different.

I'm also interested in the new 390 Adventure at 375 lbs.

My impression from reading up on the DRZ is that it is not a particularly comfortable highway bike.
    I probably ride 60/40 with the 40 being forest/ranch/jeep unpaved two-track, some water crossings
    and maybe a little single track.

The KTM is about 45 lbs. heavier, than the DRZ, ready-to-ride, but comes stock with FI, six speeds,
    more power, bigger tank, lower seat height, and tubeless tires.

With the exception of the FI and six-speed transmission, all the other things can be fixed on the DRZ,
    but what has been done, in addition to a windscreen and custom seat, to make it more comfortable
    on the highway?
  6. WindBlast

WindBlast Sonorous and Effulgent

Oddometer:
    I put a Fisher seat and Protaper ADV Hi bars on mine. The stock tank is only good for 100 miles so you get to stop every so often anyways. It cruises fine at 65-70 if a bit buzzy. I have done 300 mile days on mine without issues.

And I am old. :muutt

A 6th gear and FI would be nice but then it isn't a DRZ anymore is it? It will be more of a Honda CRF450L and cost $10k.
    jwnsc and Marco Moto like this.
  7. Ruined One

Ruined One Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want highway riding, keep the GSA. ha ha. But that KTM looks pretty sweet. A number of things led me to add the DRZ to my inventory for use when the GSA is is not practical. First price - i found mine used for about 3K with perfect maintenance records and great condition - one owner with low miles. 2nd was the length of its production run. Not to many bugs that haven't been sorted out. 3rd, there are a lot of parts and performance mods to make up for the non injected motor and five speed trans.
    Plus a biggie with me, its a tractor when i need to slow it down and motor through rough terrain. No slipping the clutch. Although I wish it was hyd clutch instead of cable. Not sure how the KTM low end torque curve is, but in my experience the Yam 250, Honda 250, BMW 310 and others in that size need a lot of RPM to handle the rough stuff, hence some clutch slippage is necessary unless you change sprokets, which then affects the Highway gearing.
    I added a aftermarket seat for more comfort and lower seat height, Yosh pipe, larger off road pegs, some crash protection, 3x3 mod and jetting, larger gas tank (clarke). I don't plan on using it for long distance highway rides, but it should fit the bill for what I need it for. But the KTM still looks like a nice choice - let me know if you get it and what your experience is. I don't have a KTM and would be interested in this one as my grandson is already lusting for my DRZ.
    jwnsc likes this.
  8. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Seat Concepts makes a complete seat for the DRZ..."Comfort XL" they only make that seat for certain bikes....absolutely transformed my comfort....$320.
    interactive3 and jwnsc like this.
  9. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The DRZ is in the 260-300 lbs range, depends on which model you get. Just pointing out it isn't as light as you hint at.

My DRZ (the 'e' model ... well KLX400R) is fine on the highway, cruises at 70 just fine with stock gearing, 3x3 and jet kit. Seat concepts and higher bars. I'm not going to run an Ironbutt on it, but I have no complaints when I need to go 20 miles to the next gravel road.
  10. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 320-pound wet (full tank, ready to ride) weight for a stock DR-Z400S was from a review conducted by Motorcycle Consumer News.
    Both Dirt Bike Magazine and Cycle World reported "S" wet weights of 317. YMMV.
    If I buy one, I'll weigh it and report back.
    Problem is, I usually buy slightly used, highly-farkled bikes that are always heavier than the new ones.
  11. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crappy pic but this was at a grain scale. 2017 DRZ-S stock with gas

F9907C71-76A3-4E89-92DA-08D1CD98974C.jpeg 11AC434E-E008-4C72-8C54-1FB2A9C2DA96.jpeg
  12. jujubean

jujubean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah my SM was right at 320 when I weighed it one time
  13. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    338 lbs ADV ready with full tank of gas, tool box, water/drinks and other miscell parts. The way it looks below:
    [​IMG]
  14. Honda_Power

Oddometer:
    I don't know how much mine weighs but it feels as light or lighter than my 250l (which is a pig).

Left work early to ride it while it was still light out. This bike is fun, and good power now that the jetting is about right. I also let the air out of the forks and set the suspension to stock settings. Rides a lot nicer now, PO had all the clickers turned towards hard (he was a bit heavier than me).

IMG_20191108_162957716.jpg

So far so good
  15. bamagator

bamagator Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used Cogent Dynamics to revalve any of their DRZ suspension? Looking to have them rebuild and rvalve a my rear shock.
    slime likes this.
  17. RMOTO

RMOTO Anticipating summer...

Oddometer:
  18. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    Not sure about Cogent Dynamics but you may find that you may only need a heavier rear spring Some of the consensus is that the DRZ400 has a pretty decent valve set up
    slime likes this.
  19. Honda_Power

Oddometer:
    So I found out I have the bloated rear brake fluid reservoir problem on my DRZ. No wonder the rear brake was mush when I bought it. Funny thing is the PO" fixed" the problem by adjusting the lever, such that the rear brake switch was always closed, and the lever was scraping the peg:fpalm.

So of course I bled the brakes and adjusted the pedal (hey the brake light works now!) but I now have this res issue. What do you guys do, new res? Just delete it?

I'm thinking I could just replace the res with a clear tube and a plug... Some of the sportbike guys do this mod to seemingly no ill effects.

For now I am using a Galfer wristband to contain the spillage. Looks cool but not a long term solution...

IMG_20191110_200508475.jpg
  20. Honda_Power

Oddometer:
    Ok sorry for all the posts but I was poking around the bike and I found this:

IMG_20191110_232443519.jpg

Pic is of the front of the steering stem.
    You can see the threads where I took one bolt out. The other is still in. I'm assuming these holes are not supposed to be here. Any idea why anyone would drill and tap them?? Will probably just take them out but then maybe that will let dirt into my stem bearings. Any ideas