Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. Fixnfly

Fixnfly Not found on the book of faces

Oddometer:
    Simple green does ugly things to aluminum.
    I ruined the finish on a brand new intake manifold on my truck to find this out.
  2. mh7

mh7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    10k by the odometer, although (supposedly) about 6-7k miles were added by the original owner via a drill to the speedo cable when the bike was brought to California to get around the emissions/registration law. I’d normally call BS but the PO (second owner) didn’t bring it up until I was handing over money. Either way-given the overall good condition of the bike but lack of preventative maintenance (rusty chain, sticking cables, poor idle)-I’d say it hasn’t seen many hard miles
    TreasureState likes this.
  3. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know the REAL dry weight of a 2002 “S” model ??
    The internet is all over the place..
  4. jdunay

jdunay time travler

Oddometer:
    291 i believe
    MotoChris521 and AZ TOM like this.
  5. JohnE65c

JohnE65c Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't dispute that, but it's a good cleaner and I still use it all the time. As long as it's rinsed soon after applying and isn't allowed to dry, especially on heated surfaces or in the sun all is good. YMMV.
    AZ TOM likes this.
  6. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I weighed my 2017 400S bone stock on the local grain scale, accurate to 5lbs. Came in at 320lbs ridden in with fuel. Haven't weighed it yet with all the crap I pulled off. Not dry weight, but what good is that number anyway? 291 dry sounds accurate though.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  7. offroadtoys

Oddometer:
    Hard to see, shi**y pic:

F6D92F22-40CA-4CCB-A054-D3D3DD3C637F.jpeg
    MotoChris521 and BigFatAl like this.
  8. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep those grain scales are pretty accurate....I weighed my 2020 "SM" and the weight Suzuki publishes is 322 lbs. I got 324...full of gas. So the Suzuki numbers are pretty darn good.

I use an electronic bathroom scale accurate to 1/10 of a pound. Put the bike on a 2x6 with the scale at the front end and roll the bike forward until the wheel is centered on the scale and take a reading...repeat for the rear wheel...add the two numbers together and you have the total weight as well as the capability to calculate the front/rear percentages. Why a 2x6...it is the same height as the scales so everything is level :-).
  9. Ken Hooligan

Ken Hooligan aka Hooligan LT

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a black right side cover plastic they are willing to part with?

Or both sides in any color..
  10. mh7

mh7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rebuilt and reinstalled the carb with a dynojet stage one kit, removed the snorkel, properly capped the vent line, put in a new spark plug and air filter-the klx400 starts up and idles great now. Bad news is Rocky Mountain sent me the throttle cables for the fcr carb, which only took me about...far to long to figure out.

looks like it could use a new clutch perch and throttle tube though-any recommendations?
  11. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My throttle tube is Motion Pro. They're kinda my go-to for non-OEM replacement parts.

I like the MZS shorty levers (for the most part). Great function and look better than the broken-off or sawed-off levers that were on the bike when I got it. I couldn't find any 2-finger levers but I'm adapting to these 3-finger levers.

https://www.mzstuning.com/product/d...mpatible-suzuki-drz400s-drz400sm-2000-2017-2/

EDIT: Doh. Inmate asks about clutch perch. I respond with levers. Nevermind.
  12. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with a Motion Pro throttle tube...that way I could install the grips I wanted.

Some come with a grip installed and it can be tough to remove the grip.
  13. offroadtoys

Oddometer:
    Lock on grips are a good option too, and no gluing! I go with Torc1 Racing Defy grips but there are many others. They include a throttle tube with different cams to fit any model 2 stroke or 4 stroke:
    KevTek-DEFY_0bb53a34-6f85-4dd5-a669-87d2a0cd1986_2000x.jpg
  14. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the whole set up for 7/8" handlebars few years ago, I'm so happy with it.
    [​IMG]
  15. Pavement Optional

Pavement Optional Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to get a DRZ and have been trying to decide if I want an S or SM...and I want both...but only have space for one more bike. I'll mostly be doing SM-type riding, pavement and gravel, but there are times I like to get into rougher stuff. I know I'll need two wheel sets, but that's about all I know. Any advice or resources for someone who wants it both ways? I've hunted for a good DRZ forum but haven't found one.
  16. offroadtoys

Oddometer:
    Just a thought, it's probably easier and cheaper to find and purchase a set of 21/18 wheels after the fact then it is to find 17/17. Might wanna start with an SM.
  17. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can tell you what I did...bought the SM and a set of 18/21 wheels from Warp 9 :-).
    Pavement Optional likes this.
  18. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm same, predominantly going to do SM stuff, including track/race, so that's what I went with to start. Can get dirt wheels after.

For forum, the Thumpertalk DRZ section is pretty active and if you have a question there's almost certainly an answer there. Can get repetitive sometimes though, only so many ways to ask about stuff for a bronze age relic like the DRZ.
    Pavement Optional likes this.
  19. PilotRPI

PilotRPI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So looking for a DRZ for my first bike. There are a couple around that are 7-15 years old with only a couple hundred miles on them. Should I expect major issues from disuse? Thinking things like corrosion/putting in the cylinder or lower end, issues in the coolant system? Probably need to replace suspension oils, etc? Good deals or should I avoid them?
  20. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Doubt you'll find any major issues from just lack of use, inspect and replace as needed cables, wires, tires, filter (clean it) and replace all fluids and go BRAAAAP!
    TreasureState and Fixnfly like this.