DRZ400 Who's got one? Let's see it.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by johmarq, Oct 19, 2011.

1. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    18-26kpl between fills ignoring a couple of tanks that dipped below 16kpl and a few exceeding 28kpl, it is quite variable depending on how/where I'm riding it, tyres, wind, how much gear is attached etc. The tank has blown out a bit and is holding about 30L to reserve and 34L total.
  2. Bridgeburner

Bridgeburner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, quick query.

I was looking at purchasing these Tusk Pannier Racks as they come in at quite an affordable price to Australia. However, I am unsure whether or not they will fit my motorcycle, a 2015 DRZ400E (AUSTRALIAN EDITION) - so not the American enduro edition. On the website it says they will fit 2015 DRZ400S (American Version). Now I am curious whether or not these subframes differ. I contacted the sellers and they had very little knowledge of the subject matter. Would anyone else be able to help me out with this?

Here is the product in question

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3476/42910/Tusk-Pannier-Racks?v=2015-SUZUKI-DR-Z-400S

Appreciate any response or information, or if anyone in the thread is living in Australia and has these pannier racks/anyone in the US has mounted them and can post a picture of said racks on the bike so I can inspect your subframe adn see if it matches my own.
  3. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
  4. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the comparison between the AU 'E' and US (and AU) 'S' sub-frames the most notable difference is the missing pillion foot peg mounts which are often used for 'S' racks.

PS Big Willy, that Blue City link looks like a DL650 and searching myself got the exact same page.
  5. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a rear rack and pannier racks for my DRZ E modelfrom www.moto-racks.com . They almost fitted and just a little modification was required.
    I don't think Tom still offers them , but if you ask nicely he might make some for you. IMO it was the best system on offer for the DRZ with a wide rear rack and matching pannier racks.
  6. Scrubmonkey

Scrubmonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well just finished re building the top end on the new drz. Athena big bore, mrd ssw exhaust and jd jet kit. Holy hell she rips along pretty well now. Pulls well into 130 with the 15-44 gearing. Dropped from consistent 0-100 times of 8 seconds down to 6 on the first try. If you have to repair the top end or wanted a cheap build (get a flogged out bike dirt cheap as a project) you could do alot worse. Not for those that are shy of attention though. That exhaust is loud.
  7. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    was it the 440 kit?
  8. Scrubmonkey

Oddometer:
    Yeah just the standard 94mm big bore
  9. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which is more accurately a 434, only rounded to 440 for marketing purposes. Get asked about that sometimes... "but it's bigger isn't it?"... "no, it is exactly the same thing relabelled to suck people in..." :lol3
    Christine94 likes this.
  10. Scrubmonkey

Oddometer:
    Then you get the less scrupulous ebay kits saying 450. Then there are the genuine bigger kits that are 450 i think but reliability goes out the window
  11. Scrubmonkey

Oddometer:
    Who has experience with noises in the motor. Just did a big bore and recently noticed some noises i hadnt realised or have only just started. Mainly right hand side of the motor at idle and lower rpm (thats noticable), slightly quieter with clutch pulled in. Done a few hundred km mainly on the road since i noticed it. Not using any oil by the looks of it. Im hoping a loose nut or new clutch basket and dampners. But the kicker to me thinking it may be mains/big end is that about 500km ago it burnt enough oil on a highway run that it was smoking when i removed the dip stick to check the oil. I refilled at the servo (about 900ml or so i think) then and kept going and didnt notice any more noise at the time. Anyone have any experience and ideas as to what will need replacing? Are the hot rods crank kit worth it or do only some parts need replacing? This will be a first time working with a bottom end for me. Done a few top ends for different bikes so no issues spinning spanners
  12. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    An engine stethoscope will help you isolate the noises.
    Christine94 likes this.
  13. Scrubmonkey

Oddometer:
    Also forgot to mention when i was doing the big bore i checked the conrod for play. From memory there was minimal side to side (sloding not rocking) play and no vertical play (i.e. up and down ore back to front)
  14. Just Tex

Just Tex n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there , Just a quick question I have a 'stock bike' with a stock carbie , stock exhaust and am getting about 20kms per litre , if i was to put on a jd jet kit should i expect better fuel mileage or worst?
  15. Gadget678

Gadget678 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much work has the bottom end done?
    A bashplate will make things sound worse.... take it off before trying to isolate location. As OC mentioned a stethoscope will help isolate noises, but a common alternative is a long screwdriver (put the steel on the 'suspect' parts of the motor, then put your ear to the handle)
    Christine94 and OC like this.
  16. Gadget678

Gadget678 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never dealt with a JD kit. There is much to consider before that.... How old is the bike? Did you buy it new? Did the dealer de-restrict the bike from new? Has anyone else screwed around with it? How often do you clean/replace your air filters? What gearing do you run? What terrain do you ride on? Where do you live/ride? (altitude & humidity make differences) How handy are you with the tools? (these carbs are mongrels to get out- especially on a stock version)
    What are your current carby settings?
    Christine94 and OC like this.
  17. Scrubmonkey

Oddometer:
    Had the bashplate on from day one. Going to try it off and check the clutch today.
  18. Just Tex

Just Tex n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow thanks for that, i guess i should mess with what i have before looking at a jet kit. Cheers.
  19. NZSHAKER

NZSHAKER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my little Drz 400e up for sale

check out for sale thread

only $6500 :-)
  20. Joe 400

Joe 400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You asked to see it. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Here it is. Riding north of Adelaide. Luv this bike but seriously have to do something about the seat. After bout 300k's my butt and back are over it. . Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    trokel, Te Hopo and Blossem12 like this.