DRZ400 Who's got one? Let's see it.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by johmarq, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Gadget678

Gadget678 Long timer

Oddometer:
    squizzy likes this.
  2. Joe 400

Joe 400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Looking for a Headlight cowl for my '06 DRZ400E

I bought a new set of Acerbis plastics but no headlight cowl.

The one I have is a little rough and would like to find a new or newer one.

They are about $100 but it would appear no one offers an aftermarket option :dunno

They are the same part number - 5181129F50YU1 - as the DR650 and other models???

Any suggestions :hmmmmm
  4. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think there's an aftermarket shroud for the stock headlight.

Will yours clean up? There was a recent thread on restoring plastics.
  5. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Mine has holes in it from a screen and cracks.

I have one off an earlier 2000 model so will just polish that up

6. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    Has anybody got any bling they want to sell , I'm after a bash plate , side pannier racks , and an aftermarket exhaust,
  7. trokel

trokel Vinduro - Old dirtbikes are more fun

Oddometer:
    Hi all i am after your thoughts for longer distance touring improvements for the DRZ400 vs buying a DR650.
    I love my old DRz400 (2000 Model with 20thou on the clock) which I have owned for about 4 years and in that time have used it mainly for longer day rides in the bush and the odd overnighter but lately i have been thinking of getting a DR650 to get back into some bigger trips because I find the DRz a bit annoying when traveling longer distance on the Bitumen however i test rode a DR650 today and found it a bit boring compared to the DRz so before i take the plunge on a 650 I am thinking it might be worth trying a few things to improve the old girl. It currently has a safari tank and racks as well as upgraded springs and today i made a touring screen and silencer for the exhaust as it was extremely loud which has improved it but it still needs a better seat and probably more suitable gearing. It currently has 14/44 sprockets and i am thinking of changing to 14/41 for touring with the intention of getting a 2nd back wheel so it is easier to change between gearing and tyre types for touring and bush but am curious to see what others have done.:deal
    What are your thoughts?

Here's a pic of the old girl from the last trip i did
    DSCN1835.JPG
    Angry Pete likes this.
  8. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Pumper carb Troy. Try mine.:clap
    trokel likes this.
  9. trokel

Oddometer:
    Careful I just might take you up on that offer. Both the 650's i have ridden were on stock carbs so it would be interesting to compare.
  10. Rus

Rus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden both quite a bit. A DR offers a far more relaxed ride than the DRZ on more open terrain and is a better all rounder unless you are riding difficult terrain more often than not. In those circumstances the DR’s weight & suspension work against it. This is unsurprising given the DRZ was designed as an Enduro bike in the late 1990s & hasn’t really changed, and the DR was designed as a trail bike earlier than that.

I bought a new DRZ in 2009 & sold it two years & 9,000km later, a mix of hard off road through to short distance adventure riding. I initially changed gearing from 14:47 to 14:42, which was quite an improvement on road. I was curious as to whether I could raise it even further, so eventually went to 15:42. The bike could certainly pull that no problem (fully derestricted but standard, obnoxiously loud pipe) & first was still low enough for me. However, it was still too buzzy & tiring on more open rides so I eventually gave up & traded it on a new TE630, a major asset of which was its wide ratio 6 speed transmission. I kept that for 28,000 wonderful km then traded it for a new 701 that now has about 8,000km on it.

The problem I have with the DR is that I want my bikes to provide a bit of a thrill and I find the DR quite dull, even if it is reliable & quite capable of maintaining a good pace. I have a friend who has one and we often swap bikes and when I get off his and back onto mine it made both the 630 & 701 (in particular) feel like race bikes.

If I were you I'd try 15:42 & see what you think, as you can easily swap back if its too tall. My gut feeling though is that if you’re riding is more open and long distance the DRZ will probably continue to frustrate, wear you out physically & probably diminish your enjoyment in riding.

It seems a DR style bike may be a better fit, but better still may be a modern day equivalent like the PR7 or 701. I also own a 501 that is a surprisingly versatile bike that can do it all from Enduro to long distance, and in my view all the hype about increased maintenance is eggagerated - it is a wonderful thing.

Other factors that may help the DRZ be more liveable may include getting a more comfortable seat, wearing a helmet that has less wind noise & drag on the peak, and wearing ear plugs. These latter two may seem strange suggestions, but they really work for me.

Regards,
    Rus
    trokel likes this.
  11. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with all the above.

Adding a ACT wide ratio gear set makes riding the DRZ all day long a lot less tiring. It is a lot less rev happy at cruising speed. It wasn't a cheap mod, but back in 2010 when I bought the bike the only real alternative for me was a KTM690. Fitting out my DRZ was still way cheaper than the 690.
    Now I would choose a SWM650RS and add a Safari tank and screen.
  12. Scrubmonkey

Scrubmonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go 15-44 gearing first. That's my general gearing unless I'm planning to do pretty tough stuff. That still gets me though most 4wd tracks and beach sand no problem. I'd take a 690 or 701 for a spin though if it's within budget. Only about 10kg heavier from memory and about an extra 20hp with a 6 speed box. I nearly bit the bullet on one rather than another drz
  13. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed the 15-44 sprockets are about the same as the WR ratio gears in 5th. i.e. good cruising speed/revs are bearable.
    The advantage of the WR gears is that you still have first gear same as standard 14/47 sprockets. Downside is cost.
    I thought I had invested enough in the DRZ, but a 430 kit would certainly be preferable with the WR gear set.
  14. Scrubmonkey

Scrubmonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you already got the wr gear set a 440 big bore (94mm piston, technically 434cc but brands all label it different) and a full exhaust makes a massive difference. With the 15-44, the big bore and Mrs SSW exhaust and rejected accordingly it'll power wheely the first 3 gears with a half full 19l safari tank
  15. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The beauty of the DRZ is bang for the buck - capability, durability and low maintenance - just a great little bike

But if you start throwing big wads of cash at it, you probably lose that

I've had a DR also, and it's everything that's been said above - fits the bill and will get you there, but not a bike you can get into much unless: (a) you've thrown a lot of cash at it; and/or (b) you happen to be @B1

The better choice now would probably be a SWM or PR7 with the old TE630 motor, or a modern enduro with a wide-ratio box - 500 class is the obvious choice (nothing has as wide a box as the 500 EXC or Husky clone, although Beta is close) but a lot of sense in looking at the smaller displacements also - in particular, the Beta 390 with its long-stroke motor ...

Left field, there's also the Himalayan ...

trokel likes this.
  16. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you go the Husqvana way, I have a 2013 630 in the shed I may be interested in selling. Just a thought.
    trokel likes this.
  17. trokel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed response. You hit the nail on the head with wanting a thrill from the bike and the DR being dull, that was one of the reasons why I got rid of the KLR years ago. Although the KLR did a great job for the 27000 k's I put on it , it just didn't give me that excitement that I crave when going for a ride. As for helmets and ear plugs I only wear my peaked helmet when riding Vinduro as i hate the wind drag it produces and these days I pretty much always wear ear plugs.

Also thanks to everyone else for your input it has certainly given me a few things to think about.:thumb
  18. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    TR
    Troy..have a talk to @59DEN ..he has had his DRz up the CSR and many other places..
  19. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Thrill and DR in the same sentence...………………………………………………………:scratch

I would say my DR is fun to ride with it's current set up. But horses for courses.
  20. Rus

Rus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1261390
    If it’s thrill in a single you’re after then 701 is the place to go. It’s engine performance makes the 630 feel lame, although I think the 630 was a nicer all round bike. It’s engine still had plenty of go & was smooth & torquey, so combined with its wide ratio 6 speed gearbox it really was a capable bike.

The 701 still has one fundamental weakness in my opinion, being its close ratio 6 speed box. 1st is too high for tight off road yet top is only just for cruising, not that it was designed for cruising. It was originally designed as a SM in KTM guise, to be ridden hard through the gears, and in that it is exhilarating. When it came time to trade the 630 I couldn’t get a new one and the PR7 hadn’t been released, so I bought the 701 almost by default and I’ve no regrets.

As a long distance ADV ride I wouldn’t be surprised if the PR7 wasn’t a better option, but it not coming from a first-tier manufacturer would be of concern to me. Note my 701 is the 2016 model, i.e. the model before the motor being replaced with the smoother & more powerful Duke engine, so the newer model is likely to be a nicer all round bike.

With regards to helmets, peaks & wind drag, if you get the right helmet you can still have a peak without drag. I have a Fox MX helmet that is awful above 80kmh, yet my Shoei Hornet ADV Seeker is fine at any speed. I find a peak essential for that very early morning or late afternoon ride when the sun is coming in horizontally, where I can just tilt my head slightly to shield the glare. Before the Shoei I used a road helmet and can’t tell any difference drag wise.
    CAC0D666-3E0C-409E-A00E-6D88402200C2.jpeg
    BlueHeart and trokel like this.