DS Ride for Sat Nov 6th - Apple Valley

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by KillerPriller, Nov 4, 2004.

1. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    New thread!! The other one was getting far too unwieldy!

I reviewed this plan with Dick and Dave yesterday afternoon. Mike, I must have an old number for you as I was not able to reach you.

The issues I see with doing a GS ride to the upper desert is that some don’t have bikes that would necessarily survive the ordeal. And the counter to that is that once we reach the dirt, the GS’s will be significantly slower than the XR/DRs.

My recommendation is as follows:
    Mr. Head and I will trailer up a pair of XR’s (my XR650 and Christi’s 400). Dave and Mike, you guys trailer up your bikes. We can meet at Coco’s for breakfast as planned, or we can Rally at the staging point just outside of Grange.

My long time and good friend Paul Nelson will be joining us at approximately 9am.

The plan is to do some fun and easy single tracks that run along the ridge lines in the area. These tracks connect several mines so there is plenty to explore. This will be fun for all, and give some new dirt riders an opportunity to get comfortable.

At about 10:30 we will top off the gas tanks and head out for Slash X for lunch. It’s a long trek through the desert (on a horse with no name) so bring water. We feast at Slash X and return to the cars at about 1:30 or so. Those that want, can stay, those with commitments, can return home.

Summary of plan:

6am pickup and load
    7am breakfast at Coco’s
    8:30am Rally outside of Grange (GPS coordinates and directions to follow)
    9am gear up and ride in area/explore mines (hook up with Paul Nelson)
    10:30am Top off fuel and depart for Slash X
    Noon Lunch
    1:30 return to cars for beer and cupcakes. (BYOCC)

That’s the plan. Its open to anyone that wants to join in. I will put up the GPS coordinates tonight when I get home.

It’s a perfect DS ride. There are dirt roads with single track paralleling the route so each person can choose between hard or soft options. GS’s can make this ride easily on the dirt roads. The single tracks will get a little tense where they cross sand washes.
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds perfect to me.

Paul is in Vegas until the weekend. BUt, I'll make sure he knows what's up. He has a little truck and a ramp so I'm sure he can handle it.

When do I need to meet you to help load?
  3. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to help load, i will come pick you up. Can you pm me your GPS coordinates or street address?

Does Paul live near you? If so, can he drive you out there? That will save me from having to back track to Yorbal Linda. If not, no big deal.

nk
  4. Redhurricane

Redhurricane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll take you up on the moto-tote, and meet you either at Dick's house or Coco's.
  5. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Paul is basically at the 91 and the 15 in Corona. Not the fizzy yellow beer.
    Right now he is in Las Vegas looking for Bill... actually at that show out there. His house is right on the way.

I'll get with him when he gets back tomorrow I think. I'll give him a call tonight.
  6. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Directions and GPS Coordinates for Grange.

If we all fail to connect for breakfast, here are the directions to where we will depart on bikes.

Directions
    15 freeway East
    Pass 395 and continue on
    Exit Stoddard Wells Rd/Bell Mountain Road and head North East
    Cross over Dale Evans Parkway
    Continue on the dirt road.

From the road you will see a large cross in a clearing. Look for my black land cruiser with a bike trailer.

GPS coordinates for Freeway Exit
    N34.35.430
    W117.15.613

GPS coordinates for Rally point (not sure if they are exact, but are close)
    N34.38.129
    W117.09.718

Cant wait to get dirty. See you all there.

nk
  7. Redhurricane

Redhurricane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be there, meet you all at Coco's.

Weather seems to be cooperating as well. Of course I was looking forward to a mud run.
  8. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Let's see...

warm jacket, cool jacket, warm dry gloves, cool gloves, longies, flippers...
  9. papavero

papavero Just good enough.

Oddometer:
    Never did I think the KLR would ride in the back of my truck, at least while it could still move under its own power. Maybe I'll use it to get the truck unstuck, yeah that's it, a truck trip with a bike backup. It makes me feel better to think of it this way. Dick will meet at my house and help me load, act as navigator, and said nay sayer for said trip. Plan to leave in time to meat at Coco's. See you all there. Do we need an easy up, cooler with refreshments, lounge chairs, etc?

Big Dave are you still going?
  10. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    OK, I've bitched to my wife ( :sweeti ) once too often that I don't have anyone to ride with. Now she saw this ride and said that if I didn't go she will sell all my bikes so that she won't have to listen to me any more. :yikes So I have to go.
    I will be at Coco's since I don't trust myself to find the staging area. I have a white Dakota with a dirty DRZ400S in the back so if you see me wandering around the parking lot please feel free to yell, wave, or throw things to get my attention (not a morning person).

( If I wake up and it's pissing down rain then please disreguard above because me + mud = crashes, not a pretty picture, trust me :eek1 , of course me + snow = crashes and also me + ice = crashes. I think I'm starting to see a pattern)
  11. Redhurricane

Redhurricane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll look for you. We go to the desert quite frequently, you're welcome along anytime we go.
  12. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    I will not hold you to the offer, once you see me ride you may find out why I ride alone.......... :rofl
  13. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Mr Mike, you can't be that awful. Heck I'm slow as a DMV clerk on Firday afternoon, on clean, clear pavement but, on dirt I look like an old woman with a walker and a shopping cart full of cans.

So far these gentlemen have steered me to some very nice Cadillac dirt, however I fear they are leading me down the old garden path, if you know what I mean...

I've seen larve move faster than I do on dirt.... And with better a better sence, (did I spell that right?) of direction.

Besides this PUI thing is cool. but damn, I have to be in where? When?

F**K!
    I'd better go finish that bottle and the second episode of LWR, and get some sleep.
  14. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    As i was telling Mr. Head earlier today, the riding will actualy be better if it rains. Desert dirt is too loose and dusty. Its best with a little moisture for tracktion.

Granted, if its pissin, then it wont be too much fun. Just keep in mind, if its pissing down here, it might be ok up there.

But mark my words, it will be cold so bring warm stuff.

As for the riding skills required for this adventure, i would put them on at a "1" on a scale of 1-5. Very easy stuff. you can decide to do single tracks or stick to the main road. There is a "back way" to everything, and you can remain in sight if you dont.

see you all in the morning.

nk
  15. Big Dave

Big Dave The "Big Dave" from SoCal

Oddometer:
    This is my first time to get on here to reply....my new job is really putting a cramp on my ability to f$%& off on the internet and make posts about riding with friends.

It looks like CRASHbikes will be joing us on this little excursion.
  16. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, wait for me.....

Crap. Missed another ride. Well, I had an interesting ride on the Alp and hack'd /6. Did not take any pictures to speak of. I was more interested in making time. Slabbed it to Vegas Tuesday; played on go-karts Tuesday aftn; hung around the convention Wednesday, running into Paul's entire extended family, including Papa Papavero (not sure if Papavero is Greek or Italian, but with a name like that, I am sure he is "connected"); semi-slabbed it to Flagstaff Thursday, including a trip over the Hoover Dam, a first for me; met my new friend Randy in Flag and we swapped bikes and did some paperwork; I set out to the south thru Sedona (hit it right at sunset) on 89A and on into Prescott for the night. Friday I rode thru the desert, on a horse with no name, crossed the Colorado in Parker, almost hit a coyote, and hit LA Friday traffic just right...bummer about sidecars is you cannot split lanes. Got home exhausted at 6:30 p. Riding that thing is like real work, but really cool nonetheless. Fun trip.

Hope you guys have/had a good ride. Cannot wait to see the ride report.

bb
  17. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Well, I had a ball!

Thanks luv, that bike of yours rocks! I am so hooked.

Anyway, here is my version of the day...

I wake up at 3:00 AM since I have this hip that hurts and likes me to sit up and keep it company... So, I got up, even though the alarm is set for 4:45. I get up , and go downstairs and read for a while. I'm getting tired, maybe the Aspirin are beginning to work... Back to bed and then just as my head hits the pillow, the alarm goes off... I reset it and decide I don't need a shower...

I finally roll out of bead, I don't shave, or shower, (it is a dirt ride), then load the car, and drive out to Paul's where we load his KLR into the truck. Then go back ato his house after stopping at the ATM, and then add some more straps to the KLR. That bike really didn't want to be in there.

We hit the 15 to Historic highway 66, and Coco's for breakfast. I have been in training for this meal for a few dyas now, so I go for the the "barbed wire"... something er other. Anyway our first person to show is MrMike, then Mike, (redhurricane, not Mrs Mike...), then Nick whose car we parked in front of, and then Big Dave, (socal), and Crashbikrs, (we know him as Crash), COOL!

food then drive and we are there, No pictures of us unloading but hey, we've seen this before.. So Nick lays out a trail and off we go and lose Nick and Paul...

Meanwhile Mr Mike takes the ridge, while Crash, Mike, myself and Big Dave take a different tack that ends in a deadend. We can see each other and it looks to us, me? that MrMike is closer to the right track than we are. We backtrack and up the trail I go. Mike has managed to save the DR from srcatching by laying down under it. Although this has kept the bike pretty, he is now pinned and yours truely, probably the least experienced dirt guy and weakest of back, nearly, is there to help. I manage to stop and park and give a hand. All this without knocking anything down or falling over my already exhausted feet... This riding thing is real work! I'm sweating! I can hardly breathe. I'm really, really out of shape! MIke heads down the hill, while I head up. I figure Nick has gone this way, and if not at least, I'll be higher and be able to look around. This sucker is steep. Here is what I saw, once I got to the top:
    [​IMG]

The guys are little specs way down there. Lord, I hope I don't have to ride back down that... The ride up was enough.

Here is a closer look at the group trying to talk me into riding back down,
    [​IMG]

No F**king way am I riding back down that way. I am so tired I can hardly stand. Who knew this was work? If I'd wanted to sweat I'd have ridden a mountain bike. Which used to be how I would do stuff like this. Now days, I get winded just reading about it.
    Here is the top direction:
    [​IMG]

Man, at leat we got up, Mike , (not MrMike), had a little momentum thing but we'll not discuss that. We got him and the bike to the top. I'm gloating here since I managed this on my first try, and no I won't try it again. I'm pretty sure I don't have that much beginners luck...

Which luck was about to run out. A little later down the hill, I try a quick turn and have my first dump. But, I manage to keep the fire lit, and find nuetral and get the bike back upright. You don't know how happy I am this was not the Adventure... We'd still be trying to lift that...

My first impressions? I am old and out of shape. I am the jellyfish of middle-aged men. But this is fun. I'm having a ball. So this is what a dirt bike is supposed to feel like! The GS is sort of on the heavy side. The big damn heavy side. Now, some few hours later, I am stiff and sore. My eyes ache!
    My left hand doesn't want to work. My right forearm is tight and sore to the touch. Those little bushes have left marks on my knees. My knees are sore and another dose of bufferin is in the works soon... at 5:30 I thought it was ten! I need a nap.

My last shot of us prior to packing it in for the day,
    [​IMG]

Again, thanks, Paul for driving me out there.
    Great seeing you Dave and Crash and Nick and Mike, and meeting you MrMike.

And finally thanks again Christi for the loan of the bike. I didn't mind the looks one bit from guys seeing me riding a bike with a devil/angel and the word "Luv" across the front fender! Heck, I got a couple of phone numbers !
    BUt they didn't card me at the slash X, OK, I feel old. Realy, really old, and sore too. Real sore. I wonder if I'll be able to move in the morning?

hahaha

What a great time!

That ride to Ojai tomorrow morning is going to be brutal. Not only did this leave several marks, it's going to be a while healing up...

I'll leave the other antics reports to the others.

Right now, I'm going to go put ice cream on my arm, I mean ice... Maybe eat soem ice cream. Then sleep, lots of sleep all the way until 5:30 tomorrow morning.

Good night.
  18. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr. Head, i have one comment about your ride report. You own a car????? For the life of me i have never seen you without your bike!

Its Sunday morning and i am watching the sun rise. My knees are shot, wrists and hands dont want to work right (causing spelling errors), and my cheeks are sunburnt.

aaaahhh, it was a good day.

I hope you all had fun out there. I think there was more sand then i recall and found myself wondering just how much fun a GS would have been. I know it would have made the distence, but some of the whoopie sections would have sucked for sure.

Well, the sun is up. Im going to drive over and meet Mr. Head and those guys for coffee.

Fun ride eveyone. Thanks all!!

nk
  19. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone that took me under your wing and brought me through the desert alive and well. Special thanks go to Killer for makeing sure we stayed together and knew where we were going. I had a great time. Also thanks goes to Mr Head for lifting the bike off me thereby saving me from
    taking a sharp rock and cutting off my legs to get out from under the bike. :lol3
    Since this was my first desert ride it did pose some interesting challenges for me. A 2 to 3 mile sand wash comes to mind. Rocks....lots of rocks......sand I understand but amount and size of the rocks kind of took me by suprise. Also the hills, steep up and steeper down, :eek1 , with rocks, took a little getting used to (see trapped legs above). Certainly not like the fire roads I've ridden on before.
    Again, thanks for letting me tag along. Great fun.
    MrMike
  20. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I had a ball.

Note: the reason you tuck your pants into your boots so there is a handy carrying place for your balls, after dead lifting bikes several times. And pushing... At least I wasn't on the Adventure!

That would have been stupid.

This morning Nick Discovered the source of the "karma" bell on the Adventure!

hahaha...It's a feature! Dammit, I did it on purpose...

And the great missed shot of the day was of Nick exiting that 350Z.

I'm just glad I wasn't taking a sip of my latte' just then.

..."I don't care who you are, that's funny."...

I'm going to go try and get a picture of the "bell"...

Oh, and we had a great ride today. Bill lead me to Ojai and a really good place to eat. It turns oout it was a general meeting of the South Coast BMW club. They tried to ply me with food, but I resisted. Great meeting everyone there. I remember a fwe guys named Bill, and one guy named Phil, and that's about it... Maybe it was two guys named Phil?? Anyway, I'm not hungry but I really needed to get home, if you know what I mean...

I'll post some photo's I manged to stop and take near Malibu.

And here thay are:

https://mr-head.smugmug.com/gallery/277787/1/11010708