dt250 innards

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by esworp, Jun 8, 2008.

1. esworp

esworp ADV Social Worker

Oddometer:
    has anyone got a link to or is willing to post pics of the insides of the dt250e (78) engine? I'd really like to replace the right-side crank seal, and have a clymers in the mail.. but i'm bored today and was thinking I could tackle it.
  2. dunkee

dunkee life is elsewhere

Oddometer:
  3. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    from memory.
    same procedure on almost all yamaha air cooled 2 strokes (and most air cooled 2 strokes..) . remove kicker. remove clutch cover. remove pressure plate/clutch plates. hold clutch basket with clutch holding tool, or a penny/gear jammer in the primary gear. and loosen/undo primary gear nut. remove clutch hub and basket - pay attention to thrust washer locations. remove primary gear and woodruff key - might be a sleeve there to remove also. some yamaha have o-ring on primary shaft. remove oil seal. reinstall oil seal. reassemble in reverse order. pay attention to primary sleeve direction - some have chamfer (chamfer goes inboard). careful on lining up clutch basket 2 'notches' in back. make sure clutch basket is fully seated on the kicker and primary gear.