Dual cooling fans? 950 ADV

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Rapid Dog, May 19, 2009.

1. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Pyn's pic above is pretty illustrative.
    In terms of wiring in, just splice it (either via a plug or posi-taps) into the existing fan wiring.
  2. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    FWIW, An ADV fan is too tight.
    Its hard against the frame & the oil pipes. Wouldnt recommend it.
    Also it wont mount as well as the greater radius means it matches poorly to the curvature of the radiator...
  3. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't find any on their website.
  4. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    You need to ring them.

If youre getting them from there, you need to find out if they have different kinds of locking clips - you want the narrowest they have. The wider ones wont lock down against the fan mount points - as they interfere with the fan housing...
  5. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Could anyone point a link where I can get these on-line? I can't get them in Venezuela, so I have to buy from the US and want to get it right on my first try...
    Thanks!

BTW there's a link to a fan on Pydon's thread....
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8388475&postcount=886
    Has anybody actually tried that one to see if it fits properly?
  6. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    yeah, I'n cornfused...no much here on which exact fan to get...and how the heck do they mmount up exactly...

[​IMG]
  7. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    :scratch
    All the info is there dude... just have to read :wink:

I was pretty sure that in my posts and Pyn's thread we both said it was a 450EXC fan. All EXC fans are the same as far as I know. You can find used ones on ebay quite cheaply. To buy new you are buying a hard parts kit with wiring & temp sensor for the EXC - much better off buying used if you can.

Ive tried to fit another 950 fan there ... its too big.

The fasten with some specific radiator clip-mounts. See a few posts up where you can buy them n the UK.
  8. RCruiser

RCruiser Jus' Watchin'

Oddometer:
    Hey.
    I just saw this thread. I'm in Phoenix Arizona now, and for anyone that doesn't know how hot it can get down here in the summer, all I can say is, It's an Experience! I have done numerous Airbox Mod's, Carb-Tunings for said mod's, and I went back to the OEM Box simply because of the heat down here. But, as you can see by the picture, I did wrap the box with a heat shield which helped a lot. Tahoeracer said that his internal Temp's in the summer with this same Mod only allowed a 15 degree rise from ambient air temps. Awesome. So then, how about the fan you say? I measured the space available, looked on Ebay for one that size, and from the same OEM supplier, ordered it, went to Napa and grabbed a Oil Cooler Install Kit, and then wired it to kick-on with the first fan. WORKS AWESOME GOOD!! I would always be running at 5-6 bars down here in rush hour, and sometimes have to pull over at 7 bars to cool it down. All summer I have yet to hit 6 bars, and even at 5 it cools it down FAST! One of the best things that I've done to the bike for awhile...
    I went out to grab my receipt for you guys. The fan came from: www.universalpartsinc.com the Item # was 30103022 which is a 5.5" SPAL Electric Puller Fan. $34.95 + $10 shipping. BTW this is the SAME OEM fan that is on the other side! Have fun!

[/URL]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  9. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link RCruiser.
    I was looking through their website and can't find a 4.5" fan (the one you mounted can be found through the search engine with the part # you provided).
    The mounting kits are also found there.
    I wrote them an e-mail to see if they have a 4.5" fans (smaller should be easier to fit... I think?)...
    When I get the answer I'll post it here for anybody else that might be interested.
  10. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Nice oil sperator RCruser :clap

My personal view to making the bike run cooler was to remove that huge shroud that blokes half of the air from just moving through the radiator. The fan is still there if I need it. I'm very happy with the results

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  11. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    Yes, please update when you find out!

Where do you get that heat shield material?
  12. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    Are you talking front (50) or rear (51) shroud?
    [​IMG]
  13. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Interesting. Maybe I should have another go fitting mine.

When I tried fitting the OEM fan in there previously, it was hard against the frame and hard against the oil breather line ... in short I thought it was a bit tight.

Also, the larger diameter of the fan didnt mate well with the curvature of the radiator... how did you manage to pad the sides out? Or did you leave the centre of the fan resting on the rad?
  14. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Isnt that going to make the fan less effective?
    The only time Ive ever had any cooling issues on the bike, it was when there was little fwd movement, so was relying on the fan...
  15. RCruiser

RCruiser Jus' Watchin'

Oddometer:
    Thanks K2M! (I'm a little embarrassed that you saw it in that iteration though, cause I cleaned up the plumbing a bunch since then...).

Regarding the curvature of the radiator vs the plastic on the fan; just dremel or file a little bit of plastic to match the curve. Or don't, it's not that big of deal.

New Zealand isn't quite as warm as Phoenix :lol3 , but I imagine what K2M did was correct, as it allows more are through the fins and doesn't restrict the airflow. I believe the reason for the shroud was to direct the pulling of the airflow from the blades into the path of them. Without it, more air passes through the fins, but 'when' the fan is called upon, it isn't as effective at the smaller surface area that it cools. With two fans though, I should think that this would be quite a good way to go, even though my set-up is totally satisfactory at this point.

RC
  16. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Is that what you did?
    I didnt think there was much meat there to take off....
  17. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    i think this must be it: PART NO: 30103022 [​IMG]
  18. RCruiser

RCruiser Jus' Watchin'

Oddometer:
    Moo,

Ya, I dremeled a little to mate the two surfaces better, and there wasn't a bunch of meat to work with, but enough. Worked for me anyway.

Here's the link to the Heat Shield: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1838

Oh, btw, regarding removing the rear shroud; I have a friend that took off both the Fan And the Shroud on his 950SM. He says that it runs fine like that, as it allows more air through the radiator, however he shuts the motor down at stop lights (and doesn't live in Phoenix!),

RC
  19. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
  20. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Yes I think so , but the free-er movement of air let's the bike run cooler. Notice that it is sealed around the fan...... It is very effective when it comes on.