Dual cooling fans? 950 ADV

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Rapid Dog, May 19, 2009.

1. Rideimal

Rideimal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did this combo work? I just ordered the same parts and got a call from A-1 - they tell me that the fan and the mounting straps aren't compatible. They say that the smallest Spal fan that works with the mounting brackets is 6.5", and clearly that won't work.

If this doesn't work, is there another mounting option besides the pin-through-the-radiator system?
  2. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    Heading out of town on our Honeymoon we got caught in I-17 traffic ( A wreck then construction)as we were leaving Phoenix. Our 990 overheated twice. It was a crawling pace and 96+ out. I was thinking I am putting on a second fan when I get home. eek1. Now I need that thread with all the fan info.

I thought I would throw this bit of info out also, we use dirtbikes at work ( DRZ 400, CRF 450X) and we put fans on them all. We do a lot of slow technical riding, we get the bikes very hot. Rocky climbs and sand washes in southern Arizona summers really work a cooling system. Any fan makes a difference. Originally we used computer fans on the DRZ and it kept them from boiling over. As soon as that fan stopped they would lose it. So an extra fan should help. Oh and some of our field repairs involved using pieces of wire pushed through the radiator and twisted tight. I don't recommend using this on your 9X0. But It works and we lost more radiators to branches and crashes then mounting methods.

I also noticed we lost a lot of DRZ water pumps on the bikes that ran without fans for any length of time.
  3. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
  4. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    I sent back the brackets becasue I found out the same. I should have updated my post.
    I used the super large zipties and small screws and some foam...
  5. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
  6. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
  7. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
  8. 1stworks

1stworks dude

Oddometer:
    Here is my new fan set-up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used oil cooler zip tie's to hold in place.Found them at NAPA for 6.50$

It has not fired up yet but it will on tonight's ride.
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dual fan setup will work better at very slow going, but will provide more resistance to cooling at normal go (when fans are off). Maybe its better to replace the single fan with a more powerful one? (if it exists?)
  10. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    I think the flow restriction would be neglible. Remember the fan is on the rear side of the rad.
    By the time the air has passed through the radiator, its velocity will be a fraction of its original velocity, so I dont see the fan creating a high pressure behind the rad that would restrict airflow.
    Only the padded feet of the fan will block some airflow... so its a good idea to keep them small.
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see your point, but I am not sure! Maybe I am splitting hairs though...
  12. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:

Thanks. I also see from above it's a 4" SPAL Puller fan, same thing I also want to add as a second fan to my Aprilia RXV550 too. So I'll order 2 SPAL 4" puller fans, some oil cooler through-radiator straps, two Derale adjustable fan controllers (to adjust them for a lower temp on/off), 2 KOSO temp gauges (to keep track of what's going on) -- and get busy on two bikes :deal
  13. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Did you guys connect it with some kind of relay or simply tapped into the main fan wiring?
  14. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...tie right into the existing fan
    easysmeasy
  15. Rideimal

Oddometer:
    I've never had a problem with heat at speed - only in traffic and when I get in over my head on the trails, so I'm not worried about blocking airflow on the highway.

Also, does anyone have long term experience with the through the radiator mounting pins? The sales rep at A-1 Electrical had nothing nice to say about them. Neither does the manufacturer: "With this type of mount, radiator core damage after prolonged usage is inevitable" (from Spaal website)
  16. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    nuff said.
    easy to mount
    inevitable rad damage.
  17. Rideimal

Oddometer:
    Rapid Dog, what kind of foam is that between your fan and radiator?
  18. kizniche

kizniche pyro

Oddometer:
    Parts: Spal 4" puller fan, two large zip ties, foam insulation (rounded pipe insulation, cut) behind the fan and around all corners of the radiator, 4 bolts/washers/locknuts, replacement thermal switch (Tridon TFS596), 12V relay.

The second photo is the wiring I soldered and weatherproofed, with the three wires for the thermal switch and fan positive hanging, before being tucked amongst the wires running along the frame up to the glove box. I routed the relay into the glove box to prolong its life and for easy replacement. The positive is already running into the glove box through the yellow 20A fuse, closest to the relay, which also powers the 139db Stebel nautilus horn.

I finished this project by sundown, yesterday. After an oil change and install of a Scotts oil filter this morning with the girlfriend, we got the tanks and crash bars back on and had a test spin.. it worked flawlessly. I'll now have to observe for a while to see if it makes a difference, which shouldn't be long, as summer is beginning here in Florida.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    Very nice set up kizniche. Been able to test the effectiveness of the second fan yet?
  20. kizniche

kizniche pyro

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I have not, yet. I finished wrenching a couple hours ago and took a ride to the market for some food. When they did switch on, I felt a lot of hot air being moved. I had to take off from the stop so I didn't have a chance to see if it could cool itself enough to turn off the fans. I can assume it is twice as effective as one fan, but I will report back in a week or two with my impressions.