Dual cooling fans? 950 ADV

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Rapid Dog, May 19, 2009.

1. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I just ordered the 4" Spal. So I hope it will make a difference. I'll be looking for your report.
  2. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Have you calculated how much radiator surface area you have blocked off with the foam?
    Even with 2 fans, when the ambient temp gets hot enough, and youre working the bike hard enough (sand), then it will still overheat. Id be wary about sacrificing too much radiator surface area....
  3. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Pyn has a good 20k miles on his bike with the through-the-rad mounts and Ive not heard any negative feedback about the mount. And he doesnt ride his bike gently...

[​IMG]
  4. kizniche

kizniche pyro

Oddometer:
    I haven't made any calculations, but I'm betting the combination of the extra fan with a lower temperature of activation is more effective at cooling than the if the space the foam takes up were free.
    I would be weary too if I hadn't previously been stuck places waiting for the engine to cool down before moving on. With this being an experimental setup, I'm prepared to alter any aspect of the system. I should have an idea whether it's helping or hindering in the coming weeks.
  5. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    hey kizniche, I'm doing and almost identical fan project right now too, working on the big zip-ties now. I'm epoxy-ing a second layer between the two screws on each one to kinda create a "counter-sink" effect to keep the metal screw heads recessed. It's drying now, I may even go for a third layer, and then I plan on using weather stripping foam, but much less of it. I want to keep the surface area of the rad open plus the operating volume of the fan.

Like you, I like the cheap/experimental set-up, it's easy and affordable to modify!

I'll put pics up when I'm done if I remember, but I'm out of town next few days.

Peace!
  6. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm really looking forward to the pic.

I have the fan but haven't had a chance to install it. I too was going to copy Rapid dog's installation and was trying to figure out a way to maintain the air flow over the radiator.
  7. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...i doubt there's much to calculate here, I wouldn't overthink things.
    I also cut the fins out of the rad screen and made my own screen to relieve blockage.
  8. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    Installed my fan today. I got all the information I needed from this and Pyndon's threads.

The fan I ordered.[​IMG]

I mounted it using the Zip-Tie method.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will see how it helps with the Arizona heat.
  9. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Bronco,

Looking good!

Did you use anything (foam) to dampen the vibration between the fan and the radiator?
  10. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    Okay, got it done, and shiny pictures!

Glued portions of zip-tie between the screw heads

[​IMG]

Not sure how the glue will hold up with all the heat, so I go ahead and shrink-wrap it too:

[​IMG]

My hope is that the screw heads won't contact the fins, instead the load will be distributed more evenly by the now-fattened zip-tie.

Then I put a thin strip of weather stripping on, but honestly I'm not sure how much good it's gonna do, it's pretty soft.

[​IMG]

and there it is!

[​IMG]

Note: After wiring mine in (red to red, black to black) my fan is spinning the wrong way, so I have to redo it, I guess it's red to black x2.
    Spyrious likes this.
  11. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Job!!!!:thumb
  12. BartG

BartG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have read some articles on the cooling system of the 2010 adv models which mention they "updated" the cooling system. This would make sense since they now produce more power, so more heat.

Anyone know what those updates are and can this be transfered to older models!?

Also, the standard cooling fan, is this a unit that can be upgraded to 1 with higher RPM...?
  13. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    No, I didn't use anything between the fan and radiator. The zip-ties do a good job of holding the fan tight to the radiator and I didn't think it was really needed. The screw heads are very flat and smooth so they won't really hurt the radiator. Its a plastic fan on a metal radiator. Our old DRZ 400 had the metal street bike fans mounted against the radiators and they were not mounted as well and we never had a problem. My 990 will never see that level of abuse and rough terrain.
    So I'm not worried. But I do like what Viola tor did with the zip-ties and heat shrink. I may go back and add that.

14. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    I got some questions on my second fan installation, and figured I would just post my answers here.

The whole project was very straight forward.

Fan I ordered from here. www.a1electric.com but out of stock.:cry

Then ordered from here. www.jaycorptech.com :D

Make sure you order the Pull version of the 4" fan. Spal's number on the fan is VA32-A101-62A and the other reference #30103018
    Fan pictured
    [​IMG]

I got some 36" zipties from Lowes, some sections of heat shrink tubing, 8-32 1" screws with Nylok nuts and a plug from Radio Shack (Not needed, but I wanted to so I can unplug fan like the original during maintenance).

Soldered the plug in to the main harness and covered the connections with heat shrink tubing. Cut the existing plug off the fan and soldered the new one on (I couldn't find a matching plug to the fan). Set up the Zipties so the connection would sit at the top of the radiator.

Like this.[​IMG]

I then drilled through the Zipties so I could bolt the fan to the zipties. I cut some sections of Zipties to fit between the screws. (Thanks viola-tor for the idea) Then covered this doubled section with a piece of heat shrink. Not done in this picture. Screwed the fan to the Zipties then popped the radiator guard out of the way. Threaded the Zipties under and around the radiator, pulled them tight and cut off the excess. I unplugged the Temp sensor visible in the lower right of the picture. To test I took a small section of wire and shorted the plug. Both fans fired up when the key was switched on.:clap Put everything back together and was ready to battle the heat.

I noticed the fan is more stable with the doubled Zipties spacing the fan off the radiator, plus this keeps the screw heads off the radiator. Now no metal to metal contact.:deal

Hope this helps.
    Mike
  15. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...outstanding! :beer
  16. garmei

garmei Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Geniuses,

The cheapest SPAL fan (30103018) I can find in the UK is £70 + postage + cost for zip ties etc. :huh But... there's a 640 LC4 Adv fan going on ebay for £25. I've done a little trawl through this site and I cant find any evidence of this being done before. Do you think this could be made to fit by removing the shroud/mounting thingy (rectangular plastic piece) and some chop-chopping? Here's a pic:

Thank you !

[​IMG]

PS. thanks to all who have posted above. It really helps numpties like me :clap
  17. kizniche

kizniche pyro

Oddometer:
    It's been two weeks since I installed the second fan (+relay) and lower temperature thermal switch.

My impressions are positive, and I do believe the bike is overheating less... in fact, I haven't had it overheat once since the upgrade.

I took a trip to Halpatiokee to do some riding, camping, and hiking last weekend. It involved mostly dirt roads, a little single track, and some slow technical stuff over mud, branches, etc. The gauge showed no more than 5 bars the whole trip. The fans were on for a good deal of riding, except for a few periods where I found a straight path and went fast, but no overheating that I could tell.

This morning I wanted to do one las test before posting. This involved just letting the bike idle in the sun. The air temp was ~90. The bike idled for approximately 15 minutes standing still on the side stand. The fans kicked on shortly after the temp gauge hit 4 bars, and then stood at 4 for the duration of the test. I think with the engine under load the gauge would again reach 1 or 2 bars more.

Also since the install I've also ridden a lot of slab, in mid-day heat, without any overheating. I'll be trying my hardest in the next week or two to get it to overheat again, but I think this setup is damn good at cooling this hot, hot, machine.
  18. sonoran

sonoran bigly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your results. I've been waiting on doing this upgrade until I heard some positive results for the effort.
  19. KTM@MEG

KTM@MEG n00b

Oddometer:
  20. viatormundi

viatormundi Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    If both of these fans would work constantly, let's say in a very hot driving environment, would there be a risk that the alternator couldn't charge the battery enough?