Dual cooling fans? 950 ADV

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Rapid Dog, May 19, 2009.

1. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very neat install. Got to do that to mine. Just $4.69 (KTMWorld).
  2. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...yeah that fan guard deallie is something I planned to do on my Big O. Nice.
  3. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    It had absolutely nothing to do with what you suggest.

When was the last time you asked for and received only a portion of a product from Touratech, CJracer, KTMtwins or any other manufacturer or retailer of a quality products?

Yes, it is true that it is possible to assemble and source parts from various vendors to make your own completed cooling fan installation. Depending on where the fan is purchased and who it is purchased from it may or may not have a .250" connector.... there are variations to several other of the parts too.

The decision to change to a complete kit only was driven by these factors and others too, like the desire to be able to guarantee quality AND be able to warranty failures should it be required. Almost impossible to do if offering alacarte solutions.

Regards, the ADVmachines guys.

:freaky
  4. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
  5. men8ifr

men8ifr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any updates on the through the radiator mountings from the guys that fitted them? I just fitted a fan with these before reading this thread which indicated it may wear through the radiator.

Problem is there's no easy way to check unless you buy a new set of ties for each check and cut the old ties off but they cost a lot more than zip ties!
  6. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    Sound like you'd be better off buying the mounting bracket from Advmachines NW. Or you could make a better mount then zip ties yourself. I think the zip tie mount would cause problems down the raod. (If you are so lucky to be near a road when it wears through the radiator.) If you're going to run a 15K dirt bike you better do it right.

ps no affiliation with Adventermachines NW other then being a customer.
    :freaky
  7. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I'd gladly pay for a complete turnkey solution that solves a serious problem on my bike. And it's very encouraging that there are small entrepreneurs out there willing to focus their time on KTM factory inefficiencies, like engine heating buildup. Organizations such as Advmachines take the initiative to create quick and complete packages which removes all the guess work and out sourcing for individuals like myself. Yes, I can spend more time on the computer trying to problem solve. Or I can reward clever companies for their resourcefulness by allowing me more time to do what's most valuable to me... riding my bike.

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone taking their own initiatives to solve their individual bike needs. But at least respect those who have made commitments in time and effort to address these problems for the rest of us who rely on their services and expertise.

And if that makes it harder for you to assemble your personal parts list, perhaps you'll have a greater appreciation for the work it took to create these turnkey solutions... and why there is a monetary value placed on them.

Just my 2 cents...
  8. men8ifr

men8ifr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason I ask is because I've just finished installing the fan with the through ties, the install is neat and is solid - no movement possible ny hand so as an engineer it all looks good. In fact the fan I bought 2nd hand came with those huge zip ties and I thought there's no way I'm putting that on my rad as it will damage it!

So I hope some through the rad users will chip in - the info so far seems to be the spal (who sell the kit) say it will damage the radiator! But (Pyndon i think) has huge mileages without problems and has battered his bike half to death off road......
  9. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    ''

My stock $140 fan motor just seized up

does anyone know for sure if this $34 generic Spal 5.5 will unbolt from its housing and bolt on to my stock shroud ? ?
  10. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Pyndon's fitted his second fan with the kind of fasteners you're talking of and so far he's had no issues.

Here's mine which I fitted today, just got to wire it in which I'll crack on with when this business of work is over! :D

[​IMG]
  11. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    guess I'll find out because I just ordered one 5,5 from universalparts over the phone , They answered right away $47 shipped , late in the day and said I just missed the truck but it will go out tomorrow
  12. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Any ideas where I can get a plastic shroud for the RIGHT hand side to keep the heat from my 2nd fan off the tank?

edit: Sorry, previous page - I see you've modified a LHS shroud.
  13. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe it is mentioned here that people use the left side OEM part and do a little trim work. I read also that some dont do anything. I will tell you that you probably need to do something to get the heat away from the tanks. I am ordering heat reflective material and doing the insides of my tanks. My fuel boils like crazy if im doing a lot of technical slow riding, and its only been in the 70's and 80's. I just read a thread about someone having fuel delivery issues from fuel boil :(:
  14. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right shroud - post 135 shows my solution
  15. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the 5.5 Spal from universalparts, I unscrewed the motor from the generic housing and pressed off the fan blade , I switched it over to my 950 fan shroud and pressed the new blade on , it pressed back on nice and snug , tested it on the bench and it runs smooth and balanced . Soldered on the KTM plug nice and clean, back in bussiness

it was a $40 replacement instead of the KTM part at $140

my fan had been failing intermittently and during an 800 mile trip to Death Valley I discovered it totally seized
  16. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    something similar happen to my wife's bike (4:pm, July 3rd !)
    That' also why I want a 2nd fan
  17. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I'm going to muck around with some heat shielding first, taking the tank off to stick it on this weekend. I really think the people who sold me the proper '2nd fan kit' should have addressed this aspect. After all, I think I paid well over $100 for the fan and bracket......
  18. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    Understood. The addition of some form of a hard shield has been on the "to do" list. Applying a adhesive insulation to the tank is one way that works well.
  19. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    I've started my bracket

Just did a mistake and cut a part wich was supposed to stay to be the upper bracket ...
    I'll do a 2nd bracket, attached to the fan screws in order to correct this.
    I used 0.05 alu to do a first try (easier to bent) but I finally guess it's stiff enough, especially when the 2nd part will be done

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice work. I wondered if it was the desire to fabricate your own or why you did not purchase one, I believe you can get just the bracket for $24.00 (dont quote me on the price), when I did mine I was going to buy a generic fan and go the same route as you but then found the complete fan/bracket combo and went that route. I certainly understand if you chose to make your own because clearly you have the skills to do it and it looks really solid. More wondered if you did something that you feel will help draw more air or re-direct the air flow ? After all the wheel has been reinvented many times over and it is still getting better.
    Always hated that when people would ask :why reinvent the wheel ? :bluduh, " because it aint perfect like you :asshat" .