Dual Sport fairings from Britannia Composites

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Ian B, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:
    My bad
  2. Shorepig

Shorepig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Edge 56,

How do you like the Montana? I need a GPS but have no real life GPS experience. I've left space on my fairing dash for the dimensions of the Montana.
  3. PAfromQC

PAfromQC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ian!

Is it still in your plans to develop a kit based on the lynx fairing line for the F650gs single or you have dropped the idea (hoping its not the case)?

Wishing you have good news for F650gs single owners.

Thanks

Pierre
  4. The Crow

The Crow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any update on a kit for a CRF250L?
  5. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry we haven't got at it yet and it could be later in the summer before we can do it.
    We have struggled a bit to keep up with the Lynx R demand and it hasn't left any time to look at it yet.
  6. ae86andkp61

ae86andkp61 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Ian, fantastic-looking products you guys offer! I tried sending off a couple emails about options for my DR350SE. I want a Lynx, and will be doing a fork swap and instrumentation upgrade along with the fairing/lighting upgrade, so I am well aware that there won't be an off-the-shelf option. I understand that you guys no longer offer a universal kit, so I am tempted to just order the DR650 kit and adapt as needed, unless you advise otherwise. :D
  7. smoothride

smoothride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a fork swap on my dr650and used rmz450 triples and ordered the bmw650x Lynx R fairing. All the wiring just plugin and the dash mounted under the bars by the to bolts on the triples. The bottom plate is mounted to the front to bolts for the front fender. Hope this helps. Look back in this thread and you will see it on my bike.
  8. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply on this. I've been away in Utah this past week. The important issue is what fork/triple clamp system you plan to use. For example, if you were fitting a DRZ 400 front end then a DRZ Lynx would fit straight on. However, we can put a kit together for you on just about any forks, so just let me know. This applies to both the 'original' Lynx and the new ( and better) Lynx R.

Cheers Ian
  9. mckb

mckb n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello: I am looking for advice from any of you familiar with the Lynx-R fairing. I have this ,ousted on a 2015 KTM 690 Enduro, with the 35 W HID low beam and 20W LED high beam.
    The low beam flickers for a second when I turn the key to"on" and then goes out. I have checked all connections and fuses.

Any help is appreciated. I leave on a trip next week and need to get this working

Thanks
    Mckb
  10. smoothride

smoothride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the ballast is burned out. This has happened to me on my snowmobiles. With HID lights.
  11. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Well I think I am the first guy to have the new Lynx R on a KLR... :norton Ian's buddy and inmate VikB from BC has had one in his hands for close to two months but I may have got mine installed first. :D
    To be fair my bike now has DRZ forks sooo when he get's his done he can be the first. :wink:

Ian has been getting these R's ready for a few applications and is almost done with the bolt on plug and play kits for the KLR!

Ian shipped mine out last week, slightly modified due to my custom front end, so I started taking off the old style Lynx and went about setting up the new R Saturday. Worked a few hrs, skipped Sunday then hit it yesterday and today. Rode the bike home tonight and can say the 42w LED highbeam over the 35w HID low throws some light!!!
    Full right up and more pics later...
    Old style vs new...
    [​IMG]

As she was with the Original Lynx, HID low beam Halogen High... 'this kit will now be for sale'...:deal
    [​IMG]

Mocked up... with the new R I loose 2"s of coverage in the width, and gain some height and mounting benefits.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fairing hanging off the side to test the lighting during the day...
    [​IMG]

Clean and solid behind the new fairing...
    [​IMG]

Drilled a couple holes to tie the leads up tight...
    [​IMG]

Ian's lower mount is a beauty, yet since I am using DRZ forks on a KLR I had to make another custom lower mount to connect the lower triple to the R's fairing. Used a piece of 2"x2"x1/8" Aluminum angle and drilled it for the mounting bolts. This pic before adding the third hole, sanding and softening the edges...
    [​IMG]

Added a third bolt in the DRZ's center fairing mounting point to really lock the angle in place. The bottom angle attaches to the fender bolts.
    [​IMG]

Still some mess where I left leads for the new style12v outlet... you can see the Montana rugged mount screws peeking through. Also added a couple holes, clearanced and chamfered the edges re-ran allot of wiring etc...
    [​IMG]

The new kit is mounted solid as a rock with rubber dampers in the bottom and just all around more polished than the previous kits. Cheers to Ian!!! :freaky

Low beam standing above the cutoff line...
    [​IMG]

Low beam crouched down...
    [​IMG]

Low and High... notice the light bouncing back and illuminating the garage walls.
    [​IMG]

Low...
    [​IMG]

High...
    [​IMG]
  12. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still saving my pennies for a Lynx R.

And now I'm looking for a bike hauler to extend my riding season. Hoping to find a minivan with low floor and high roof so I can just push the bike in and out. (i.e. no disassembly/leaning/ squeezing/shoehorning to load up after a long hard day of riding.)

What I'd like to know is the height of a WR250R with a Lynx R?
  13. Spud Murphy

Spud Murphy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    looking at putting a Lynx on a DR350 so I can cover a few more miles

cheers Spud
  14. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    Do it! It works very well, giving decent wind protection on the highway and getting out of the way for dirt. The dual headlights make some serious light, but do not overload the stator - but it's a bit close at idle. I note that the bike is kick-only and has a capacitor rather than a battery, so if it was really overloaded the motor would die.
    This is my DR:

[​IMG]

And here's what I did to mount it to the tripletree:

[​IMG]

The instruments mount to the "dash", low to allow a Garmin 276c to be mounted above. It is very easy to shape the dash panel to fit whatever. I do have a set of setback/riser blocks installed. Highway Dirt Bikes handguards required some fitting/mods to work.

[​IMG]
    rickypanecatyl and Spud Murphy like this.
  15. Wreckster

Wreckster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, Would you be able to color the original Lynx in kawi green? I want to get one on my 06 klx in the future.
  16. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately not. The Kawi green is much brighter than we can achieve with our Gelcoat material, so it would need to be painted. Alternatively, you can go white and have the Kawi Green side decals to match the bikes colour.

Cheers Ian
  17. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to offer huge props to Brittania composites for putting together a kit for my Super Sherpa. We had dozens of back and forth emails and tons of support once I started into the installation and Ian was always prompt and helpful with great suggestions and solutions. Top notch service from start to end! I'm sure I doubled the value of the little beast putting on the Lynx R fairing, but I'm sure pleased with the results. Installation of the fairing itself was fairly straightforward though I did have to make my own upper mounting bracket. The only hard part was trying (and re-trying) to position my Vapor Dash in the right place. Had a few false starts and redo's but I'm mostly pleased with the end result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now if this damn snow would go away I could get back out there and start riding again.
    greasespot and Spud Murphy like this.
  18. PAfromQC

PAfromQC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ian!

Just wandering if you still have any plans on adapting and building a kit of your lynx fairings for the BMW F650GS Singles (2000-2010)?

Thanks

Pierre
  19. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Sorry Pierre, nothing in the works for it.
  20. dcparks

dcparks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Ian,

Have had my Lynx for 3+years, very happy. has worked great, but Hard use = wear and tear and am now chasing some odd electrical issues, so would like to replace the wiring harness and ballast setup.

Any chance you have a harness and ballast for the older models (HID low, halogen high?) - not sure the model "number", but its second generation i think. or, id be happy to switch to the LEDs if they are retrofit-able to the older Lynx.

Im off for a trip starting next sunday, so if you have a harness and ballast or just the harness i would love to pay and have a courier pick up if possible.

cheers,

Chris (in victoria)

Photo 9-15-2014, 3 02 45 PM.jpg