Dual sport for 5' rider

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Purps, May 13, 2016.

1. Purps

Purps n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello I am new to the world of bikes so I just need all the advice I can get. I am 5' and looking specifically for a dual sport to learn on. I checked the shortypants thread but unfortunately people are counting 5'5 as short so a lot of the bikes they recommend for "short" people are still too tall for me. I know I will never double foot and will likely need a lowering kit. I know I don't have a lot of options but the only two bikes that I am aware of so far that I may fit on are an XT250 or a Super Sherpa. Help!!!
  2. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    The TW200 has one of the lowest seat heights around. I usually do recommend the XT225 or Sherpa over the TW200 just because they do a little better on the street, but you definitely are on the short side. What is your inseam though? That's usually more important than your actual height.

The CRF230L might even be a little lower than the XT or Sherpa. Actually the Honda comes in a CRF230SM which is the super moto version. It has 17" wheels instead of the 18/21 wheels, but you can run Shinko 244's on it which do good and would help you touch better since it's lower to the ground with out actually lowering the suspension. The other option is looking at something like the KLX250SF which is the Super Moto version of the KLX250S. I know a lady running around on one and she is also only about 5'. She's gotten really good at jumping off to one side though when she stops.

BTW, a lot of dual sport bikes have pretty soft suspension that compresses a lot when you sit on it. Keep it light and you will definitely be better off. Once you master sliding to the side of the seat to get one leg down when you stop, that will help too.
    Purps likes this.
  3. Purps

Purps n00b

Oddometer:
    My in seam is 29". And thank you so much for the response it's been so difficult with my size and then of course I want a dual which limits me even more. Is my inseam too crazy short for any of the ones you listed?
  4. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Well, at 29" you aren't terribly bad at all. I was expecting more like 27". My wife is 5'4", but has a 29.5" inseam so you are right there where she is. So with that I would actually say you should be okay on say an XT225/250, Sherpa, CRF230L, etc. I actually think the XT225 makes a great bike. That is the dual sport we started my wife on and she did great. They came out in 1992 and stayed about the same until 2007. They also have one of the best wide ratio 6spd transmissions. My wife now rides a CRF250L as her dual sport. We did get a low seat concepts seat for it, but she enjoys it.

Something else to help you out is there are boots that can give you extra height (1-2" sometimes). This is the best thing you can spend money on because it helps you on any bike you get on. The Daytona Lady start boots are a very popular boot for the ladies to help out. They are pricey, but they are very high quality and will last a long time if you take care of them. I bought a set for my wife (used) and they are still going strong 7+ years later. She did a review initially about them when she first got them. - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/daytona-ladystar-gtx-boots-worth-the-money.514635

Now early on when my wife wrote this review, she was pretty dead set on flat footing every bike she owned which was mostly street bikes. Since then, her comfort level has gone way up including spending time riding a KTM 125sx (super tall for her) so she has really gotten used to not being able to flat foot and way more comfortable just being on her toes. She rides a Versys 650 now as her street bike with a low seat and is very comfy even though it's on the taller side for her. She went through a period where we lowered just about every bike she owned, but it always affected the handling and now she is a good enough of a rider to feel that and will do anything she can not to lower a bike.

I would always recommend trying to get taller boots or a lower seat on your bike before modifying the suspension. Try not to lower the bike using a lowering link if you can help it. Where you are with your inseam, you should really be fine.
    Purps likes this.
  5. Purps

Purps n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for all that advice I will absolutely be getting some boots and look into a lower seat on anything I get. Happy to hear that I'm not totally out of options also. I'll be scouring Craigslist for the bikes you listed also.
    :rofl
  6. Purps

Purps n00b

Oddometer:
    So I've been searching and I'm just wondering if there are any other sites to look for bikes aside from Craigslist and cycle trader?
  7. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    While not cheap, Race Tech (http://www.racetech.com/) can probably lower your suspension. I had my wife's KTM 450 XC-W dropped 3 inches (it still has plenty of travel) and she loves it.
  8. Purps

Purps n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you remember around what you paid? Being that I am a total nube I'd probably be getting a pretty inexpensive used bike so I just wonder if it would be worth it or not.
  9. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Yamaha XT225 as already mentioned, and the Suzuki DR200, work well for the inexpensive used option as a starter dual sport.
    Purps likes this.
  10. JR22

JR22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    im 5 foot 5. The xt225 fits very IMG_6531.jpg well indeed.
    Purps likes this.
  11. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 30 inch inseam, but I am a fat bastid so take this for what it is worth. I tried out a Honda CRF250L as it sits on the showroom floor and it fit me, but that may be because I crushed the suspension. :lol3 While the new Zongshen/CSC RX-3 is a mini-adventure bike as opposed to a dual sport, it is even shorter and cheap, but a lot heavier.
    Purps likes this.
  12. usdualsports

usdualsports Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Find yourself a 230L one of the most reliable bikes I have ever had and nice and low seat height.
  13. Purps

Purps n00b

Oddometer:
    Ended up getting this Klx250s. I can tip toe it but I'm going to lower it and get some good boots and possibly lower the seat. I'm super stoked on it.

Attached Files:

14. nccowgirl

nccowgirl something shiny Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I am 5'2" with a 28" inseam. At first flat footing was important for confidence but that need has lessened as time has gone by. I first had a Sherpa and had put the Kouba link to lower it, shaved the seat and have the Daytona boots. I then went to the Yamaha xt250 with the lowering link and slightly shaved the seat. I learned a lot on the Sherpa and only sold it to get fuel injection. The xt 250 is very forgiving and easy to handle as well as lightweight. I have not tried the 230L. With a 29" inseam you should not have a problem with those two bikes. Good luck, have fun.
  15. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like you found a bike, but if the seat is too narrow or hard, or you cannot get it low enough consider this:
    CSC RX3 with lowering link and low seat.
    They are in Azusa - LA area, and also have an affiliate program where RX3 owners will show you their bike.
    Dan
  16. Crashes

Crashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 30" inseam and ride a DRZ 400s and a KTM 300exc and have no problem with the seat height. NCCOWGIRL has the right idea as she got better the need for flat feet on the ground goes to just toes touching.
  17. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    5'7 / 28 inseam here, been riding D/S for 35 years, on roads toes is OK, in a creek or woods the more of your foot that is on the ground the less times you fall over, it doesn't take much of a hump to take it from toes to nothing.

I have a Sherpa and "can" ride ok in stock form, but it is much nicer to ride in the woods with a lowering link and slide the fork tubes up an inch or inch and a half.

I rode big bikes for many years XR650L, XT600, KX500, CR500, TT600, but just got tired of picking them up off the ground so I went with a smaller CC bike as I got older and found the joy of off road riding once again.
  18. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    OP-
    Now that you've had your bike for a while, have you made any changes to it?
    Have you enrolled in offroad training classes?
  19. Zortose

Zortose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing to consider is highway requirements for engine displacement. Not sure if you have plans to ride the freeway but many require 250cc and up.
  20. JR22

JR22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    XT has no problem at 70MPH. A little sketchy as you go higher in speed.