Dual sport gps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by avgas, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  2. ShoelessJoe

ShoelessJoe DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer:
    One more vote for a 78s. I really do think it is a hidden gem for dual sport gps. I went through several units including a 276C. Settled back on the 78s.

More points for the 78s that might not have been mentioned already:

-You can find them on eBay for ~$150.

-If it gets destroyed, send it back to Garmin and they will repair it for $110. (Had to do that already)

-it floats (Yep, did that also)

-removable memory is cheap. Put a big card in it and carry all the maps you want.

-I have read that due to the different antenna it has to be in a certain position to track efficiently. I hiked up pikes peak with the thing in the bottom of my pack and it recorded perfectly. I've carried it in all kinds of configurations and have not had a problem with reception.

If I had plenty of money I'd probably get one of the big touch screen garmins, but I don't so this is what I settled on. It has worked perfectly for my needs.
  3. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 62S runs from my bike's battery via the USB connection. It has survived 3 crashes and still works 100% after 3 years. It did better than me ( broken leg and 5 ribs). Bad luck runs in threes right?

If the AA batteries move, use a foam ear plug to squash then into place!

I went from an Etrex legend to the 62S . I am happy with it.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 62 will NOT run off a 12V battery. I assume you are using a 12V to 3V power supply to run it. Do not ever use this seteup in the rain, if the input shorts to the output it will fry your 62. Also the desk top design USB connector will eventually fail due to vibration. Hrs of vibration is the issue, not age or # of shock inputs.
  5. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep the 12 V is stepped down to ?3V.
    I must be lucky so far with rain and vibration.
    The 62s is on a ram mount sitting behind a screen. Mine is 2 years old and 15km off road use.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
  6. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    USB power is 5V, not 3V.