Dual Sport Jacket Advice

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eduro, Feb 5, 2020.

1. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey there, I could really use some jacket advice. A typical riding day may be hitting speeds of 90mph and then rocky singletrack through the woods.
    I wear a Leatt 5.5 HD Pro Body Protector (pressure suit) with a jersey over top and always end up leaving my old ADV / Rev'it Cayenne jacket behind.

I thought of stuffing my ADV jacket into a compression sack and strapping it to the rear rack for woods riding, but the jacket was just too hot to wear over the pressure suit on the road.
    Can anyone recommend a hot weather jacket with some abrasion resistance that'll fit over a pressure suit? I'll still need to stow it away at the trailhead.

The only real jacket I found that fit the bill was the Klim Dakar Jacket. I realize it's an offroad jacket which will probably shred to pieces in a slide, but maybe a few seconds before eating into hard armor is the best I can hope for? Any thoughts appreciated.
  2. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Please forgive a totally noob question, and a bit off topic, but what tires are you using that will run 90mph on the road and are still knobby enough to be worth anything off road?
    eduro likes this.
  3. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OEM Bridgestone TW's / stock 13/43 gearing
  4. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    ah...so you haven't actually had all 28 HP @11,000rpm up to 90mph yet? The thing I noticed about that thread over on thumpertalk was that the guys whose speedos said they were going 90 had GPS readings of 70 something.

I put a dual sport tire on the back of my BMW RS. I wanted to play in the dirt a bit instead of always going silly fast on the road. The tire gave me minimal braking on gravel, which I had not had before. But it was only L rated, good up to 75mph on the road. (for some reason I'm remembering 80mph, I know I put a 85mph speedo on) And it was a real mild dirt tire.Thus my question.

To partially answer your question: go over to the face plant forum and read the thread on the guy who went through the barbed wire fence. It's on page one. Read far enough into the thread to get to the pictures of the guys 'stitch suit. The wire shredded it (and his neck). he says the last thing he remembers he was doing 70. By German law that is an overstatement on a BMW so he was probably doing a real 65. I figure by the time he slid into the first of second fence his body was down to 55 or less. Now figure Aerostitch makes arguably some of the toughest textile gear out there. you wanna go how fast on the road wearing what again?

If you change out the sprockets you raise ALL the ratios in the gearbox. So you throw away those low gears you want off road. And BTW you are riding a more road oriented tire. So what you can do off road is very restricted. Then wind it out and you chew up fuel restricting your range and the wind will be beating you up so you get to the trailhead tired. Beware the myths of ADV riding, I've been watching them for some time now.

I would suggest before getting all looking the part in cute Polaris gear you ride what you got a bunch and see what you can get out of it. Do the cheap changes (tires, sprockets) as they wear out and see if you can go on the adventures you want to do. Buy some cheap leathers in a pawn shop to explore higher speeds. You can always sell them for what they cost.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we are talking SC hot and humid weather, I wear Klim Dakar - but not the jacket. I wear a Dakar Pro jersey over or under an earlier version of your 5.5 with a wicking tee shirt under that. Yes, it's a compromise if the 525 spits me off flying on a road.

Those Cordura panels can only do do much. But I'm wearing armor and not dying of heat stroke working my ass off in some hot, fetid swamp is part of that compromise equation.

My three season jacket is an AXO Glide very similar to that Klim Dakar. It vents great and the sleeves zip off. They are tougher than you might think. Mine has a couple of ugly slides on rock with no damage. Again, I count on that Klim Dakar Pro jersey under it.
    eduro likes this.
  6. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome Info. Thx. :thumb
  7. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The (Klim)Traverse is my choice, as I wanted Gortex, and it held my past jackets 5pc of Lv2 armour great. If layering for cold weather is intended, buy a size larger.

Mike B
    YYZ Rush likes this.
  8. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI

I know this problem well. I live in Denver ride a KTM 350 single tract to interstate, day or multi day rides.

You need abrasion protection on the street, and impact protection in the dirt, and stay comfortable at dirt or road speeds while being both very active or not .

Not easy to find the solution .

My solution to this problem is a mesh jacket with a lightweight windproof/waterproof shell.

Mesh jackets flow adequate air in slow technical dirt, have adequate abrasion protection, may have good impact pads.

My personal choice is the Klim mesh Induction jacket. To achieve the impact protection I was looking for I upgraded all factory pads to forcefield brand, and added the forcefield chest/rib pad under jacket.

Been using this set up for 3+ seasons now, ridden everything from Baja to the high elevation Colorado single tract .

Works great for me ! !

I suggest you consider this jacket, remove the factory pads size up if needed to wear over your leatt, and then you good for dirt or slab.

Good luck

Scott
    ukAdventurer and eduro like this.
  9. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out the Mosko Moto Basilisk gear. I tried it on at the Overland Adventure rally and loved it. Definitely quality gear made with a lot of expensive SuperFabric for abrasion protection. Unlike my Klim Badlands...the Basilisk is designed to layer and use over your existing armor/pressure suit.
    eduro likes this.
  10. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it's a niche jacket which is probably what the price point reflects, but I think the Adventure Spec Mongolia Trail jacket is better, and also priced accordingly without trying to gouge the customer based on such a simple need, which is a light abrasion-resistant breathable shell that can be worn over hard armor, that can also pack away easily.

Sadly, like the heavy iterations of off-road focused machines, manufacturers focus primarily on either heavy touring ADV jackets or lightweight off-road only jackets, which means my ADV gear gets left behind.
    I simply cannot wear a pressure suit underneath my ADV jacket during on-road sections, nor can I wear the ADV jacket or pants in slow technical off-road.

The Klim Dakar stuff looks like it'll handle dual-sport work, and the jacket can be stowed as well. In terms of abrasion resistance, since I cannot wear ADV gear, and in conjunction with the hard armor, at least it's something.
    Plebeian likes this.
  11. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great info! I've looked at the induction and IMO although it looks like it would channel a lot of air while moving, it looks too heavy and like some sort of rubber? I can't see how you would wear that over an already hot pressure suit in slow technical. It almost looks as difficult to stow as an ADV jacket.

Thank you for the insight, I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on some Klim Dakar gear :thumb
  12. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Just to be clear.

I wear my mesh induction jacket using factory pad locations built into jacket ( spine, shoulder, elbow ) and a forcefield chest / rib protector under jacket. I wear it on the road and in slow technical dirt .. NOT TO HOT

I DO NOT wear a pressure suit under, as I have all the pads I need in Jacket. I upgraded ALL pads from d30 to forcefield.

I think it would be possible to wear over a pressure suit with all pads removed.

To remove and stow at trail would defeat the whole idea of it being cool enough to ride slow technical dirt .

Good luck with your new Dakar gear

Scott
    eduro likes this.
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    What size are you?

Just sayin'
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/adve...of-trail-jacket-jacket.1423203/#post-39295209
  14. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received the Klim Dakar Jacket in the mail. Initial impressions, this jacket will definitely provide abrasion protection worn in conjunction with armor on the road.

The jacket is more substantial than initially thought but still packs nicely, feels light, with enough ventilation (underarms also zip open) to wear in hot weather over a pressure suit on the road. That Cordura tag surprised me.

20200213_165145_HDR.jpg
  15. Iowa_ADV

Iowa_ADV I like pie Supporter

Oddometer:
    General but strict rule.......You sacrifice protection for cool. There are many great choices for mesh jackets ranging from Motoport on the high-end, to Klim, Rev'it and others in the middle, and even a few bargains at the lower end. But if you want to the best protection on the pavement, you gotta wear heavier textile and stay hydrated.
  16. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed! On my ADV bike, I wear my Rev'it! Cayenne Jacket & Defender Pro Pants from all ranges of cold to hot... now, put a pressure suit of armor under your jacket, knee braces under your pants, then hit some slow technical singletrack.

I ended up just riding on the street with a jersey over armor. Lighter garments with less abrasion protection, but in conjunction with armor are better than just a jersey over armor. Trying to wear ADV jacket & pants in these conditions is impossible.
  17. Iowa_ADV

Iowa_ADV I like pie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do as you suggested. I put my jacket in a duffel on my tail rack when I hit the off-road. Seems to be the best solution.
    eduro likes this.
  18. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi @eduro, I too am thinking of the Dakar. Did you consider the Baja s4? I'd love to hear from someone who's compared both side by side.
  19. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't handled the Baja s4 but saw the video below... the part where he pulls the sleeve inside out, it just sorta looks weighty like every other adventure jacket but I can't be sure. I hope someone with the Baja s4 can chime in.

Also for me, I really didn't want to go mesh because at some point hot air just feels like a hairdryer blowing on your skin. IMO it's better to just cover up in some light garment and let natural evaporative cooling take over.
    The sleeves on the Dakar zip-off or allow you to open for some airflow, they look like two huge scoops. I think the jacket's going to work out just fine. Good luck!
  20. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True about the bulkiness methinks. And Klim has it listed under "motorcycle", not "off road". I'd ask you to report how you like it after a ride but if you're in ON I imagine that's not happening soon?