Dual Sport Review

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Dirt survivor, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to ride as many dual sports in the southwest as I can without repeating one, and thought it would be good to document my observations about each one along with some pix and details. First let me get his out of the way; this is not a forum to bash those organizations that put on the rides. They all work very hard and we owe them all more than words can say for spending countless hours on trail work and setting up the rides; they do this mostly on their own time and dime. They do it for great charities and keeping our riding areas open for us all.

Some background on myself: I have been riding about 45 years, trying to be the next Roger Decoster, or Malcolm Smith while raising a family and working full time, till I realized it was just for fun. I road my first dual sport back in the early 90,s when they first started doing them and stopped do to time and money. Now the kids are grown and so I bought a new Husky 501S. Can you say sticker shock!

First ride: 2015 Big Bear Dual sport
    This ride has been going on for quite some time, I think I may have road the first one way back when, the Big Bear Trail Riders put on a hard loop that is not for the faint of heart that even gives a trophy if finished in the time allotted. Did not feel like abusing myself to this extent so I road the easy route.

Type of trail: Mostly fire roads and some paved street through the Arrowhead area used to catch other dirt roads. A bit dusty and best to spread out. Great dinner, awards and giveaways with some great people after the ride. Big Bear is a great place for the whole family with lots to do.

Yosemite Dual sport: 2015
    Put on by Family Off Road Adventures, this trail was during a drought and after many wildfires and was on mostly dirt roads with lots of dust and very hot. Great dinner after words with a great group of people putting this on. Will have to try this one in the spring or after some rain.
    Type of trail: Mostly secondary back roads, both dirt and paved, mostly burned up forest, the ride would have been much better before the fires, some nice water crossings. Nice area to stay at Buck Meadows or the nearby towns.

Palms to Pines: 2016
    This ride starts not to far from Palm Springs in the small town of Banning and takes you up to the town of Idelwilde for lunch, a combination street, single track and dirt roads, great views and a neat get away, didn't stick around after getting back so cant speak to the events after the ride.
    Type of trail: Depending on the route you take it combines single track with dirt and paved roads with a nice gain in elevation.

Mountain Madness: 2016
    Put on by the Coconino Trail Riders, in Flagstaff AZ. I screwed up and did the hard loop on this one, and had to ride through rock gardens and mostly single track with some dirt roads in between trails. I love Flagstaff and will do the easy route next time!
    Type of trail: Forest roads and single track, depending on which level you take ( same with most dual sports).

Ride For Kids: 2017
    This ride is put on for Pediatric Brain tumor foundation and is a real feel good ride. Start is at Glen Helen Raceway. You start after a nice provided breakfast and info on the foundation fundraising efforts then ride through town up to the mountains around Arrowhead, a combination of dirt roads and single track, had some issues finding the provided lunch break and some trails, but probably my own fault.
    Type of trail: Street and mountain dirt roads with singe track thrown in toward the end. Cool and damp to begin with then warm toward the end.

Cal Poly: 2017
    This is the "Gold Standard" IMHO when it come to dual sports, these guys are just blessed with the best place to have a dual sport, virgin single track over private farmland, gas is part of the entry as well as is a killer lunch. Excellent trail marking and GPS. Plus we stayed in Moro Bay so the family hung out with the otters while I road.
    Type of trail: Nice country back roads till the single track starts, then a combination of single track and dirt roads. I didn't have the balls to try the see saw, but did stop to watch other give it a go, didn't really look that hard, but I was getting tired and did not want to take a chance. Some short freeway travel, which I never care for, but some got smart and parked just past the turn off from the 58.

Yosemite 2017: This ride is put on by the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest, and runs out of Oakhurst ca. This is a combination single track and dirt roads with a lunch stop and gas stop (Your dime) at a cool little store in the woods. great dinner provided after at the Moose lodge, with a group of the best people on earth. (we owe them) We stayed at Bass lake, cant ask for a better place to dump the family and ride.
    Type of trail: Mostly mountain roads both dirt and paved, did not take the time to do the view spots over the valley, will next time I am there.

Bishop 2017: Put on by the VCMC; a three day ride that gives more route choices than just about any DS I have rode so far, set against the incredible beauty of the high sierras you have the option of southern routes or northern. It runs out of the fairgrounds and offers RV camping and hotels close by. Bishop is a great little town that supports the ride 100%. A dinner is served along with a raffle for gear and other items. I would warn that the course tends to be dusty with a combination of dirt roads and single track, hard and easy routes. VCMC has been doing this ride a long time and has it's organization down pat. As a side note, I try and hook up with another group or rider to not ride alone and was lucky enough to meet up with some great gents from Orange County Dualies who let me tag along (thanks).

Type of trail: I can only speak to the route I took, since the club offers so many, the route to mammoth was mostly dirt roads with some small sections of single track.

Next ride: TBD
    Brtp4, KHVol, tjzondrz and 1 other person like this.
  2. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    {{Eating Popcorn but the bowl is empty}}
  3. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Give a guy a break I'm New at this, sheee, tough audience
  4. sshbsn

sshbsn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fantastic info and perspective for those of us itching to try a first dual sport event, thanks! now if only you could do the same for the southeast...
  5. Hoodis

Hoodis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Broxton Bridge, Sandlapper, Armenia - all in SC from Jan - May.
  6. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Proud owner, day one 2015-10-29_12-40-39.jpg
    Bors, panzer, waylongway and 3 others like this.
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    That truck is fap material.
    Brtp4 and bluemtnridr like this.
  8. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    A guy needs to be careful where he advertises his proclivities. Just sayin.

9. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing like riding the high Sierras ! Many thanks VCMC. Lake Crowley. IMAG0475.jpg
  10. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After having done all these dual sports I do have some observations that may come in handy to those planning on doing a dual sport:
    Comfort is important, your going to spend an entire day in the saddle, handle bar height, seat comfort, pegs, anything you can do to increase comfort is important. I keep working on this after every ride, I find something else I want to change. Riding gear is another comfort issue, after a day in your gear you will know if its to hot or to cold or is uncomfortable. Learning the ins and outs of your GPS is a good idea ahead of time, I keep learning new things about mine after every ride. Also being able to read it while riding can be a huge challenge. Remember these rides can be in the middle of nowhere with little chance of another person, plan for emergencies and bring plenty to drink. Mostly remember to stop and enjoy where you are, take pix and hang out with the best people on earth...
    Baja Perro and Marcus I. like this.
  11. Marcus I.

Marcus I. The virtual world can't compete

Oddometer:
    Any updates on your 501fe? Issues? Must have mods on your list? I’m looking for a DS that’s ok on the butt for longer rides. Did you upgrade your seat?

I have an 1190 R for easy stuff. Because I’m 250 lbs with gear, I’ve been looking at the 701 as well.

Marcus
  12. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Marcus,

Changed to a seat concepts, it goes without saying the husky/ktm are rocks and not made for more than around the block. As for mods I've gone with a s riser for the handle bars and HDB hand guards and support, different gearing and smog delete. I am going to play with the TPS and thermostat delete as well. Still need to do sag and spring upgrade, but I am doing it all in steps as I am planning to the TAT and continental divide on this bike. I weigh about what you do so I would say this bike can handle your weight.
    KHVol and Marcus I. like this.
  13. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike farkles

Attached Files:

Marcus I. likes this.
  14. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was not able to make Santa Cruz, work is always getting in the way!
  15. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DJI_0096.JPG Thought I would tease you with some pix from above dove springs..
    glitch_oz and racermx66 like this.
  16. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode my bike up to mcivers cabin quite a bit but thought I would take the old bronco this time.. DJI_0105.JPG
    BaldKnob likes this.
  17. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Where is Dove Springs? Looks like great riding
  18. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About 90 minutes outside of LA off the 14
  20. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well its time to start thinking about dual sports again, was out last year due to health issues, but now I want to do the Downieville and more in that area, will let you know how they are soon...