Dual sport riding south of Philadelphia?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by faysal, Jun 18, 2018.

1. faysal

faysal Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I have a feeling Im being over-optimistic here but is there any good dirt to ride between northern MD and Philly (not as far west as Michaux -- I'm planning a DC-Philly ride). I know about the PA map showing all those dirt roads in red but unfortunately I don't have time for that sort of exploring and improvisation.

Any ideas? And if there are no DS options, are there any decent paved routes worth taking?

Thanks a lot!
  2. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live about 10 miles east of Philadelphia. There is a 1.2 million acre Pinelands Preserve 18 miles east of my home. It must have 1000 miles of forest service roads that are legal on a plated dual sport bikes.
    faysal likes this.
  3. faysal

faysal Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds perfect. Thank you :clap
  4. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    NJ-Bill is talking about the pine barrens. Go here to link up with other people to ride. Almost every weekend and some during the week.

Lancaster has some unpaved but eastern York County has more. Barely any in Cecil/Harford, MD.

It's worth heading up to Bald Eagle State Forest as well one day. There's a large, legal, dual sport trail system through that park. Some sections are very rocky and challenging. There are some paid riding areas in PA like AOAA, getting a permit from Reading Anthracite Coal Company, etc.
  5. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:

I see on distancefromto.net that the distance from Philly to the Pine Barrens is about 34 miles. Is this accurate? For instance, if I were living in the concrete grid of downtown Philadelphia could I actually be dual sport riding in the Barrens in 30 minutes? Seems too good to be true...
  6. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:

:thumb