1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Sportster build

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Fabiodriven, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

Thanks for looking. I have a lot of questions and I hope you all won't mind sharing some of your guidance and experience with me.

I haven't bought a bike yet, probably start looking for a 1200 Sportster tomorrow. I'm in Ocala, FL if anyone has anything for sale.

My first question is, is there a particular year or model Sportster I should be looking for?

I just read a thread where a member used Honda XL600 39mm forks on his 95 Sportster and they slid right into the factory Sporty triples. Do all Sporties have 39mm triples?

Rear wheel, obviously from what I've read it's essential to upgrade the rear wheel. In the thread I was reading, the member laced an 18" outer rim to the Sporty hub. I have no idea how to lace spokes and I'm not thinking I want to try, haha. What are my options with the rear wheel? Can I just buy one?

I'd love some recommendations on rear shocks. Is stock swing arm length OK? At least just to get started?

What fenders are you guys using?

One thing I love about my Buell is the the belt drive. I'd love to keep a belt drive on the dual sportster. What are the downfalls of belt drive on a dual sportster? I noticed a lot of guys seem to swap to chain. I'd like to do belt if I could.

Thanks to all reading this and I hope to get started on this project ASAP!
  2. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Footpegs! How do I relocate the footpegs?
  3. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And the seat! What do I get for a seat?
  4. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a pre-05. The later rubber mounts are 50 pounds heavier. You will want to order a set of rear sets, but you may want to find a way to lower them. The rear sets will make you want the tallest seat you can get to open your knees up.
    Fabiodriven likes this.
  5. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good guys! Thanks for the input!

Step one is done, the bike has been procured!

IMG_9606.JPG
    Webman, Beungood and Dan Diego like this.
  6. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike is an 89. I've been riding my whole life but the closest I've been to a Harley is Buell. What are rearsets please? I'd like to order a bunch of parts tonight.
    Beungood likes this.
  7. c_m_shooter

Oddometer:
    Fabiodriven likes this.
  8. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Thank you my friend!
  9. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Obviously I'll need some really low rearsets. Are there any particular set that are lower than the others?
  10. c_m_shooter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't go over the top on the build if I were you. Trackerdie damper rods, proper fork springs, and a decent pair of shocks will transform the handling quite a bit. I have Progressive 444's and cartridge conversion on my FXD Super glide and jump it whenever I get the chance over rail crossings and water bars on forest service roads. Your Sporty is like 150lbs less of a pig to begin with.
  11. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'm here to learn and listen, so I appreciate all input. I'd like to go as dirt as I can, so I was planning on XR600 forks and front wheel and 15" rear shocks. I was looking at the Traxxion fork kits last night, but those appear to only be available for like 04-11 models or something along those lines.
  12. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got an exhaust picked out and ordered but that's it. I've been spending the evening trying to order parts, but I've hit a speed bump. I've only been able to locate one rear wheel in 18 x 2.5, and unfortunately it's chrome but it's the only one I could find. To boot, they're sold out. I haven't even been able to find another wheel in this size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/chrom...-spoke-18-x-2-5-fits-sportster-1982-2004.html

I looked at the rear set pegs and they don't look like they're going to put the pegs in the right place. It looks like they need to be rearward, yes, but also lower. I haven't seen any kits that are going to put the pegs where I'd like them yet. Again, guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks guys.
  13. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    That is a lovely baby blue!
  14. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Jarrod Weaver likes this.
  15. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    If you are going to swap in forks and wheel go KTM- you can bolt in their triples with almost no modification
    norseXL and Webman like this.
  16. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to get rid of the blue, hahaha!

Dude this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much! Can you find me a wheel too? Lol!

So I'm doing an XL600R front end because that bike has 39mm forks just like the sportster. I won't even have to swap triples. Obviously 39mm forks from the 80's aren't going to be winning at the supercross, but they'll get me on two wheels sooner. I can upgrade the front at a later date. Fingers crossed I can make the speedometer work! No biggie if it doesn't, but it would be cool if it did.
  17. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    I actually have an 18" sun rim on an older HD hub- I ran it for a summer before finding a couple broken spokes and had already snagged a 17" for back up.
    Beungood likes this.
  18. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    You need close to 15" rear shocks to keep feet off the ground though. I have boots and shoes with the outer front sole ground off still from 13.5" shocks, 17" now
  19. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it needs work then? Something you'd sell? What's the width on it?
  20. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    We
    Id sell it sure but Im in Washington state and the wheel is at my parents house in Wisconsin. Yeah it would need the broken spokes repaired and not for sure about the wheel spacers- I think they are with it but may need to be modified for your bike? Also not sure when Ill be back there next depending on the timeline of your project but if you are interested Id be willing to work out a deal with you
    Rim width- ummm Pretty narrow ran 120 and 130 width tire on it- 2.75 - 3.25 somewhere in that window I believe
    Some pics of it back then..

Attached Files:

Beungood likes this.