1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Sportster build

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Fabiodriven, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I had to leave Florida unexpectedly for a trip to Massachusetts, but I'll be back on the build as soon as I get back to Florida!
    Beungood likes this.
  2. Glenflo

Glenflo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi mate, if you don't mind, you can check my video on youtube. Harley davidson sportster dual sport by Jim Carducci.

Regards
    Fabiodriven likes this.
  3. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for sharing! I like the video very much! The Carducci bikes were some of the first I had seen that turned me on to this idea!
    Glenflo likes this.
  4. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK at this point the bike is very near completion. Tonight I will go in and finish the final drive. I was in the process of converting from 530 to 520 and had spent a ton of time and money getting a rear sprocket and spacer made, only to find out there is no way to get a 520 counter shaft sprocket for an 89 Sportster. Such a waste, but onward and upward.

A simple dished 530 sprocket from the local chopper shop (who I should have visited when I initially started this build) fixed my sprocket alignment issues, but it's not the tooth count I wanted. I wanted to start out at 53 but this one is 51. Better than 48 I guess.

I had to build a chain adjuster because the combination of the lift blocks and longer shocks will not allow my rear wheel to travel back and adjust the chain. I'd love to lengthen the swing arm and possibly even move the shock mounts, but I don't have access to a welding machine here. I'll do that in the future sometime. This should work for now though. The chain slider is from a junk CRF250 that's laying around the shop.

IMG_0054.JPG

I was waiting on footpeg adapters which are finally here, so I can finally install footpegs tonight. Of course I needed a half link for my chain, which seems to happen with all of my projects somehow, so I was waiting on a 530 half link as well. I now have that also. Tonight I will install my pegs and button up the final drive and rear brakes, then it's only wiring left. The bike is even registered.

The wiring has been fighting though, it's been tough. I'm not positive what is going on with my turn signals right now but we're doing better with the other stuff. Taillights are OK now, brake lights, head light... but the signals are acting strange. We'll get there.

Hopefully my next post will be showing the completed motorcycle. Thanks for reading.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. natez1

natez1 Gear Head Deluxe

Oddometer:
    If you look up Hugo Moto they had a great way to do foot peg relocation, probably the best way I've seen yet, but they're out of business. Looked very solid especially if you're jumping with your feet on the pegs! Good looking build, hope to see it completed.
  6. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those were only used on 1986-90 sportsters, they changed a lot of things when they introduced the 5-speed in 1991.
    2WhldZEN and Fabiodriven like this.
  7. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fabiodriven likes this.
  8. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude thanks very much for posting. I had given up on this thread and was posting in a different forum. I wasn't getting a lot of responses here for whatever reason. Even the other thread I haven't posted in months.

So the update, I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I was having huge problems getting the bike to run right. I don't have much Harley experience so I was looking for guidance or even just to pay someone to fix it. Lots of things happened except the bike getting fixed for months. I was really unhappy about it and didn't even want to look at it. After all that time the problem turned out to be a torn $13 accelerator pump diaphragm. Blew my mind and I was pumped to have the bike finally running right, I'd had it for months and couldn't even ride it.

Then the riots started. I was living in my trailer traveling and decided to buy a small place to hide from the world so I bought a cabin in the woods. The bike is parked at my buddy's 15 miles from here. I was expanding the pole barn before winter got here to get the bike here, I still haven't ridden it more than 5 miles. During construction I got super sick for two weeks, it was bad, so the pole barn didn't get expanded and now we're into winter.

I have a lot of things to add to it too, and I already want to change it up more. I'm going to cut the rear fender I think, and I had some other stuff in mind. I have a brand new LED headlight to install, a steering damper, and a new horn. I got a used Honda XL600R cluster to install as well. I might have gotten some other stuff too, honestly it's been months since I've seen the bike.

So that caliper, what's the story with that? Is it smaller than the Harley Davidson gigantor big truck caliper? Will it gain me some room?
  9. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the challenges you're having. Things have turned upside down for a lot of people. Honestly, I haven't used this Caliper but a few people over on XLforum have had good experiences with Wilwood calipers. I'd contact Summit to see what dimensions they are. You should post over in the Go Sportsters thread, it's got a lot of regulars that might be helpful. I'll post a couple of other links that might be helpful shortly.
    Fabiodriven likes this.
  10. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fabiodriven likes this.
  11. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the pigster out of storage last week and began tying up the loose ends I'd left last time I worked on it, so it's been a few months. The bike started and it runs good, but I'm going to mess around with the timing a little more and find the sweet spot.

I replaced my horn that wasn't working, added a steering stabilizer, LED headlight, and I replaced a piece of copper tubing that was holding the chain tension with steel. I put about 30 miles on the bike the other day for my first "real" ride on it and everything seems to be holding up well.

I'm buying a welding machine this week to make some rearset lowset foot controls. The foot controls in their current location absolutely will not do. It feels like you're riding a magic carpet as it is now with your feet high and out front. I'll take some pictures and share them here soon.
  12. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh another thing! I would love to be able to find a heavier set of fork springs for the Honda XL600R forks. They're 39mm, same as the Sportster. I inquired with Progressive and didn't come up with anything. Any fork gurus on here?
  13. theofam

theofam Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ I don’t offhand. Try calling the folks at Procycle.us - they have these for the 650. Might fit. Might not. Or, they might have an idea for you.

0509BBFA-840F-431B-B0D8-ED70B2D68EAA.png
  14. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

I ran a combo of cutting the Honda coils and using the stiff end with a set of heavy duty Sportster springs. Smooth on initial hits and no pogoing or bottoming on big hits. Had a Delrin spacer made to go between the two springs to stop coil binding.
    Fabiodriven and Webman like this.
  15. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is some great intel my friend. I might be asking you for guidance when I get these forks apart at some point if you don't mind. Thank you for posting.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. Fabiodriven

Fabiodriven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey errbody. I have the bike apart for some updates and refinements. I've gotten to put some miles on it now and I'm really enjoying this bike a lot. I wasn't so sure about it at first but I love it now.

I was hell bent on making myself a set of rearset lowset foot controls, started buying supplies and bought a brand new Chinese welding machine, but then I got used to the foot controls where they are. I'm just going to leave them now. It's definitely different but like I said, I'm used to it now.

Recently the bike started cutting out on me, and I think I have it traced back to the circuit breakers. I completely forgot that I had crammed them in a wad down in the frame when I first got the bike ride-able just to try it out. I meant to come back to that area and clean it up. The bike reminded me.

I bought a timing light and had people on the bookface explaining to me how to time this hawg, but I've never done it so I'm a little leery. I'm sure I can figure it out, I just haven't really been looking forward to doing it. I have the timing in a really good spot right now I think, so I might just mark it and try moving it incrementally and see what happens.

I needed to order a good chain, the first one was just for trials. The bike also had an oil leak, I wasn't happy with the oil cooler setup, and the center taillight quit. I wanted new mirrors, I added some lighting, and I'm getting the Honda speedometer hooked up. The stock length XL600R speedometer cable is not long enough, so we're working on that now. I'm getting rid of as much chrome as I can also. The bike also needs a fatter pilot jet.

After these updates the bike is going to look even better and be a better bike overall. I'm looking forward to sharing the results of what I'm doing whenever I wrap it up. I'm hoping not to have the bike downed for too long, so hopefully I'll be able to share soon.

Here are the most recent pictures of it before the refinements. Thanks for reading.

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

IMG_4230.jpg
  17. 3DogNate

3DogNate '74 R90/s - '65 Bonneville - '17 Road Glide

Oddometer:
    Very nice build. Modded sportys are very capable bikes and an absolute hoot to ride. I like what you did here.

I built this a dual-sportster a couple of years ago and loved it. It's gone to a new home since and the new owner has been loving it too.
    IMG_3972.JPG
    Hoges, Webman and Fabiodriven like this.