Dual Tube against flats (DIY)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ManuelAlbert, Apr 9, 2019.

1. ManuelAlbert

ManuelAlbert n00b

Oddometer:
    DAFF9942-78C1-403A-977B-E40DAA0B12BA.jpeg
    Carlos M likes this.
  2. ManuelAlbert

ManuelAlbert n00b

Oddometer:
    It's not for everyone but it can spare you the troubles of a road side repair
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    it's going to be difficult to keep the spare tube in place while jamming in the main tube. they'll probably end side by side
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not put the valve stems 180 degrees apart? That would make wheel balancing easier.

I'm presuming you've done this. Any rubbing/chaffing problems whereby the two tubes do damage to one another?
  5. ManuelAlbert

ManuelAlbert n00b

Oddometer:
    You could use adhesive tape to help keep the spare tube in the desired position during assembly. I used a light skinny "dormant" spare tube, which made installation easy.

Re: 180 valve position. You are right: balance will be good.

My experience: I rode my Husky 701E thru Morocco for 2,000 miles earlier this year. with it on my front wheel. No issues. And of course the "reverse" Murphy's Law occurred: "if nothing can go wrong, nothing will go wrong" (my first trip in Africa with no flats) . So the "spare tube" is still there waiting for duty. I shall post pics next time I change tires and see how it holds long term.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
  7. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    this might be relevant also, except for the spelling. ( from the above link)

"Things to consider - Drilling a hole in the rim will weaken it, ensure that the results of your drilling will be strong enough and avoid drilling directly opposite from the original hole creating a weakness accross the line of symetry."
  8. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably not as big an issue with motorcycle rims as they are so much larger than the rim of a 10-speed bicycle.
    I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. YRMV
    sieg likes this.
  9. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems brilliant but I can’t see myself being able to stuff two tubes in a tire and the weirdness that happens when one tube passes by the valve stem of the other tube.
    sieg likes this.
  10. ManuelAlbert

ManuelAlbert n00b

Oddometer:
    I am not a mechanic and it was a lot easier than anticipated to install, even if the tire was ultra hard and I did install the rim lock too. Regarding the 2nd hole creating a weakness: sure just as the hole for the rim lock does and no one seems to regret having a rim lock for that reason
    sieg likes this.
  11. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is interesting. I have had flats from objects I left in the tire rubbing. The concaved valve stem washer fell off once and rubbed a hole. Stuffing a 21 inch tube in a 18 rear tire rubbed itself to death in about 100 miles. Upon dirt read I was fearful that would happen here. But you have actual experience. Might have to look into this some more.

As for extra holes in the rims. I do not think this will weaken a rim much. Back in the day it was common to see BMX bikes with holes in the rims. Like a hole between every spoke. A rubber linear was typically enough to keep the tube from poking out. Stopped seeing this trend. Then a few years ago when fat tire bikes started being popular I started seeing it again. Granted fat tire bikes were looking to save some weight from those massive rims. But it is pretty much main stream for fat tire bikes to have holy rims. One might argue that a moto is much heavier than a bike. But at the same time a moto rim is much thicker than a bikes. In short I think additional holes are fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]