Dualin' Dalton

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Fighter, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    FYI... I'm thinking about a pre-Dust to Dawson run up the Dalton to Atigun Pass. No need to go to Deadhorse. Tentative game plan would be to head out of Squarebanks Monday morning June 12.
    6/12 Monday Squarebanks to Coldfoot 259 miles
    6/13 Tuesday Coldfoot, Wiseman, Atigun, Coldfoot, Fairbanks 400 miles
    6/14 Wednesday Fairbanks to Tok 200 miles. Link up with D2D group

Plan would be to pack camping gear for Coldfoot and Fairbanks.
    Helikron... are you listening? How big is your yard?

Just throwing this out there to test the waters. Talk to me. Fite
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    :nod :ricky
  3. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    On June 12th Moosekiller (Mike), Special "T" (another f'n Coastie, Tom), and myself will be heading north out of the Big Lake area (after stayin' at Gus' cabin).

We were planning on camping somewhere in the Fairbanks area or further north a bit. Our plan is to head to Coldfoot on Monday and return to Fairbanks that night.

Let me know where you'll be staying in fairbanks so I can introduce myself.
  4. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Why don't you step that plan up a day and run with us?
    That way GusGus can go with us also.
    Just a suggestion. Fite
  5. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Good Mornin' Fite. I put the wrong date (up too late) in that post, we will be leaving Big Lake on the 11th and heading north from Fairbanks on the 12th.

Hopefully we can meet up with you in Fairbanks and ride together from there to Coldfoot.

Frank
  6. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. When you leave Big lake, are you thinking about doing the Denali on the way up to Squarebanks? That gig would fit in very nicely. The Anchortown contigient will be heading that route.
    Something to think about. Sounds like Friar and Katoomer are in.
  7. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Okee DO-kee:eek1

The Idea'r is to ride North to Atigun and turn south?

Now that might just anger the slope gods or some shit.

If'n we leave on the 11th from Rancho Gusgus, it all seems so simple,,, NOW!

It actually is a great idea, Thanks Fite!

Fighter, your in?
    Frank, Your in?
    Friar, Your in?
    If you F'n guys are in,,, I'm in, I guess.......since I'm the next letter,,,, alphabetically speaking.

SO,,Gusgus is in! :drif

How did Ace get out of being first,,,again? Alphabetically speaking, of course.

I am going to ride to Pruhdoe, Aug 10th, from Rancho Gusgus, anyway. A 4 dayer.

Any and all are welcome to ride along...........
  8. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Alrighty then, looks like we got ourselves some dualers.

You know... if we played our cards right and got out of Fairbanks early on Monday AM we could theoretically.... roll into Coldfoot, set up camp, feed and fuel, then head up into Atigun with lightened loads. Midnight run over the highest pass in AK, with minimal gear, up on the pegs baby. Roll back into Coldfoot to our preset camp. F%^&k the slope gods.

Think about last year's Dempster dash when we pulled double overnighter at Eagle Plain. Same ideeer.

That would allow us an easy 260 sightseer back to Squarebanks on Tuesday with a stop at the infamous Turtle Club for a killer dindin. Party up a bit, sleep in a late, dink around Squarebanks and head out around 2 ish for a butt beater 200 miles to Tokeroonie. Link it with the D2D kids and let the games begin. That's what I'm talkin' bout. :lol3 :lol3

Talk to me. Fite
  9. friar mike

Oddometer:
    I think I like the improved plan:deal better:thumb My front tire did the dempster its now ready to do the dalton:evil
  10. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Finding a mutual campsite along the way, wherever things sort themselves out, sound great to me... I openly voice my concern in the fact that I don't have the skills to pay the bills on dirt. The sum total of my dirt experience is up and over Hatcher Pass, and a run up Arctic Valley Road. Umm, yeah. So one wheel peg standing power slides are still a few seasons off for me.. :ricky

Regardless of whatever plans come to fruition, we will meet up somewhere somehow, and a fun time will be had by all.. :freaky

Frank - Thanks for the great list of goodies! I am going on a shopping spree! :deal
  11. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Not a problem. Hint #1....Stand on the pegs and drop the hammer.

hint #2..... see #1

Mooser, glad you checked in. The nice thing about doing the Dalton, Dempster, TOW, or the Denali, is that it is pretty hard to get lost. Everyone runs at his/her own pace. It's not a race.
    I only suggested that we lighten up our loads at Coldfoot and head further north for a little play session. Some riders may choose to really take it easy and shut 'er down at CF or even the Circle, maybe the mighty Yukon is far enough. It's your call.
    I'm looking forward having you along. Hope you can make it.
    I'll be carrying a small jug of go-juice to stretch Big Bird's range plus tent/bag. I probably won't pack cooking gear.
    My vote is for a hotel in Fairbanks, got to have my shower.
    GusGus, Friar, Katoomer.... talk to us. Fite
  12. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Hey MooseKiller
    we only had to med-a-vac out one guy on the dempster run and he wasn't even with us when he went down:eek1 as for hotel in Fairbanks I found this nice little place I stayed in on Gusgus's ironbutt last summer it was cheep one shower for the whole floor:eek1 and I sleped with my boots:huh only one drug bust that night all in all not to bad:lol3 I will be packin the good old MRE's no cooking gear needed:thumb
  13. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

And that place was ????
    Nothin' spells happiness like a half-rack and a hundred dollar hooker. :lol3
  14. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a good time. I'll be moved up there by then I just doubt I'll be in a position to take any time off. It's gonna be a Mon-Fri gig from now on.
    I can't wait for an oppurtunity to ride with you guys. Maybe I can make the next one.

Stu
  15. friar mike

Oddometer:
    That would be the College hotel thay have rooms hourly:eek1:sweeti daily:huh weekly:bmwriderand monthly:deal and pay a little up front room service is include:babe :eek1 :lol3
  16. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm thinkin the ride sounds jus about right.

Ceptin maybe an addition south.:cromag

What can you all tell me about the ferry service between Skagway and Haines?

You see I would like to consider a run through Whitehorse and Skagway, after D2D. Then ferry across to Haines and return home northbound, after a couple of more stops. Yet the ferry schedule makes less sense to me than the rump rangers of Frisco.. It looks like Juneau is the only destination from Skagway......Man that would cause some trouble in the planning department.

Moosekiller, believe me this dirt ridin shit is not all that tough. I fall down all the time. It's easy. :doh

Moose, the way the Gruvers ride is a bit unorthodox, maybe a bit senile. You see, each "pod" (riders hanging togather) have a different internal timing which (on the surface) is not in sync with all of the others. Some like early departures, some like to leave last. Some never do decide, they just allow the alignment of the stars direct them. A spread out, yet surprisingly unified team always seems to reappear.

Not making sense? Now do you understand? :confused

We "ride our own ride" and applogise to no one. You are welcome to do the same.
    So ride as you see fit and we will be there if you need us. It doesn't get much better than that, does it?

Fite, this Turtle Club Idea is your Crown Jewel Plan as far as I am concerned. I am most certiantly IN!

:dg

There is no better food on the planet!
  17. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

I love it when a plan comes together.

MK... you can do this. :D :D :D
  18. fugawi

fugawi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you guys plan a trip, you go All-The-Way. Sounds like a dirt-pounding good time.

Hmmm, now I need to readjust my time off from work...
  19. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Bout time you showed up!
    Can you make this happen?
    talk to me. Fite
  20. fugawi

fugawi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I make it?

Do crows have lips?

Is Legions bike fast?

Sounds too good to pass up! Let's see a) work, b) ride Hmmm?

Hope the weather is good..... :rofl